cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Tongue Jack Power Problem

Delano1981
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone has any electrical experience, I have a problem with this electric tongue jack I purchased from eTrailer.com:

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jacks/Buyers-Products/3370093500.html

It has a 7 pin plug like the standard plug on a trailer that you can plug into the truck for power. The problem is that the jack doesn't work when I plug it into the truck 7 pin connector, even though I have verified 12V power and ground is present on the correct pins of the truck connector. But, if I run a jumper wire from the positive post of my trailer battery to the correct 12V power pin on the jack 7 pin connector, it works perfectly. My guess is that it is not getting ground when plugged into the truck. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks
2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L Hemi
1993 Terry Resort 24C
13 REPLIES 13

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
On the etrailor site they have that senerio covered also. Have fun.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Delano1981 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'll follow the advice to hard wire it to the trailer battery. That will be a simple solution.

Thanks

I would suggest you add an inline fuse if the jack doesn't have one now.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Delano1981
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'll follow the advice to hard wire it to the trailer battery. That will be a simple solution.

Thanks
2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L Hemi
1993 Terry Resort 24C

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Diamond c wrote:
If my camper battery is dead nothing on the camper work but the lights when I plug the camper to the truck. I need to put a fuse in the fuse block of the truck,although I donโ€™t know where. You might try charging your camper battery and see if that works.

????
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
If you click on the product link you posted, E trailor has a bunch of troubleshooting info there , including wiring diagrams. As bob said, most common thing is the fuse in the truck itself. Good luck.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
An electric trailer jack that isnโ€™t wired to the trailer? New to me but Iโ€™ll try the drill/impact powered jack next time.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
๐Ÿ™‚
WNYBob wrote:
Jerry, the OP said he just added positive power to the jack pin! He didn't check the truck output.

" The problem is that the jack doesn't work when I plug it into the truck 7 pin connector, even though I have verified 12V power and ground is present on the correct pins of the truck connector."

Here is the quote: Maybe a difference in our reading comprehension???

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
If my camper battery is dead nothing on the camper work but the lights when I plug the camper to the truck. I need to put a fuse in the fuse block of the truck,although I donโ€™t know where. You might try charging your camper battery and see if that works.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry, the OP said he just added positive power to the jack pin! He didn't check the truck output.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
WNYBob wrote:
Check your truck manual, I needed to add a fuse in the fuse box, it may be blown or not there.

Bob...in the OP, he stated that he has verified power coming from truck's connector.

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ScottG wrote:
Sounds like you figured it out - the jack is using the trailer for ground and not the ground at the trucks 7 pin conn.
Personally, I would cut the connector off and wire it to my trailers battery like most jacks are.

Agree with Scott, it would be much nicer to have the jack wired to trailer battery. If you wanted to raise/lower the trailer front, it seems foolish, to have to connect to the truck to do so.

Jerry

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Check your truck manual, I needed to add a fuse in the fuse box, it may be blown or not there.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like you figured it out - the jack is using the trailer for ground and not the ground at the trucks 7 pin conn.
Personally, I would cut the connector off and wire it to my trailers battery like most jacks are.