Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Electric Tongue Jack Power Problem
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Electric Tongue Jack Power Problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Delano1981

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If anyone has any electrical experience, I have a problem with this electric tongue jack I purchased from eTrailer.com:

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jacks/Buyers-Products/3370093500.html

It has a 7 pin plug like the standard plug on a trailer that you can plug into the truck for power. The problem is that the jack doesn't work when I plug it into the truck 7 pin connector, even though I have verified 12V power and ground is present on the correct pins of the truck connector. But, if I run a jumper wire from the positive post of my trailer battery to the correct 12V power pin on the jack 7 pin connector, it works perfectly. My guess is that it is not getting ground when plugged into the truck. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks

2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L Hemi
1993 Terry Resort 24C

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you figured it out - the jack is using the trailer for ground and not the ground at the trucks 7 pin conn.
Personally, I would cut the connector off and wire it to my trailers battery like most jacks are.

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your truck manual, I needed to add a fuse in the fuse box, it may be blown or not there.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Sounds like you figured it out - the jack is using the trailer for ground and not the ground at the trucks 7 pin conn.
Personally, I would cut the connector off and wire it to my trailers battery like most jacks are.

Agree with Scott, it would be much nicer to have the jack wired to trailer battery. If you wanted to raise/lower the trailer front, it seems foolish, to have to connect to the truck to do so.

Jerry

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WNYBob wrote:

Check your truck manual, I needed to add a fuse in the fuse box, it may be blown or not there.

Bob...in the OP, he stated that he has verified power coming from truck's connector.

Jerry

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jerry, the OP said he just added positive power to the jack pin! He didn't check the truck output.

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If my camper battery is dead nothing on the camper work but the lights when I plug the camper to the truck. I need to put a fuse in the fuse block of the truck,although I don’t know where. You might try charging your camper battery and see if that works.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]
WNYBob wrote:

Jerry, the OP said he just added positive power to the jack pin! He didn't check the truck output.

" The problem is that the jack doesn't work when I plug it into the truck 7 pin connector, even though I have verified 12V power and ground is present on the correct pins of the truck connector."

Here is the quote: Maybe a difference in our reading comprehension???

Lwiddis

Glass Creek area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An electric trailer jack that isn’t wired to the trailer? New to me but I’ll try the drill/impact powered jack next time.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you click on the product link you posted, E trailor has a bunch of troubleshooting info there , including wiring diagrams. As bob said, most common thing is the fuse in the truck itself. Good luck.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Electric Tongue Jack Power Problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.