Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED ADVICE ON NEW TT AND TOWING

upi441kb
Explorer
Explorer
NEED ADVICE
New travel trailer after looking at following specs do I need to upgrade to a Ram 2500? If so would you get Turbo Diesel or 6.4 gas? Any advice would help me out.

Thanks
Karen Baker

2021 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi Etorque Axle Ratio 3.92
GVWR – 6900
Payload – 1760
Base weight -total – 5136
Front – 2983
Rear – 2153
GAWR –
Front – 3700
Rear - 4100
CTCWR – 17000
MAX TRAILER WEIGHT – 11,370

2021 Grand Design 2970RL
Length = 34 feet
Dry Weight – 7397
Payload – 1598
GVWR – 8995
Hitch Weight - 751
14 REPLIES 14

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Agree with most of that.
Except longer TV wheelbase I cannot see how that would possibly make handling worse. And better rear suspension not being helpful means the poster hasn’t experienced a coil spring rear, Ram 1500. Wdh may do it all, by itself, but a stiffer rear suspension within reason is not a bad thing. Period
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
Heavier suspension won’t add anything. The problem with a trailer this size is its shape. A squared edge box is no fun in crosswinds. It’s weight doesn’t matter. 4,000-lbs or 10,000-lbs it’d still have the same sail area.

My trailer is 35’. My truck a good match ONLY when it’s fully loaded so that FF/RR spring compliance accepts WDH loading well. Long wheelbase, high COG, narrow tires, ARE NOT aspects of a good tow vehicle.

That pickup cited is — like mine — overpowered for the job.

I use and strongly advocate the use of a Hensley patent hitch (that brand name or the improved patent Pro Pride brand). Eliminating sway (SUDDEN crosswinds) has no peer.

Anyone starts citing “weight” or payload really hasn’t a clue of what factors matter. WDH solved the problem circa 1966. STEERING & BRAKING are what matter, overwhelmingly.

The toughest part about a long trailer is in maneuvering it on & off highway. If a new experience, it takes time to “know” what will work, and what won’t.

An even LONGER wheelbase pickup just makes steering & handling worse, not better.

OP, the well-intentioned newbies with 10-20 years tend not to know much. Haven’t any experience but with badly hitched rigs composed of badly designed vehicles, and never investigate causes versus analyzing what’s really wrong. Then makes things worse with “a bigger tow vehicle”.

That pickup is more than enough. The details of RIGHT hitch rigging are what remain. Don’t exceed axle/tire limits is how it’s contained. It’ll then be the BETTER TV than a 1T.

Slow up a sharp grade? So what? So is every heavy vehicle. Being able to stop and steer well is BEST hitch rigging ON THE DOWNSLOPE. That’s where most vehicle loss of control accidents occur (wind gusts & slippery surface).

The rig acts best under slight positive acceleration where the WDH has spread the FORCE exerted by the trailer tongue LEVER end OVER both vehicles.

Compliant-suspension vehicles (trailer would need DEXTER TOR FLEX as upgrade) have it over stiffly sprung short wheel travel vehicles.

MORE spring capacity is the exact wrong direction of things important.
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
I'm thinking the tongue weight will be way more than the 751 listed. 2/3 of that trailer is in front of the axles. 40lbs of gas and a battery right on the tongue is already about 70lbs alone. Get a bigger truck.

I can promise you that the sticker applied at the factory is accurate. Liability expenses are way tp high to make fudging a federally required sticker worthwhile.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm thinking the tongue weight will be way more than the 751 listed. 2/3 of that trailer is in front of the axles. 40lbs of gas and a battery right on the tongue is already about 70lbs alone. Get a bigger truck.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Having towed a 9300lb loaded TT with an Excursion (3/4 ton), I would not want to tow it with a 1/2 ton anything!

And to add to that, I would not buy that trailer. It onny has a 1500lb CCC. You will max that out on the first or second trip. Look for a trailer that has at least a 2500lb CCC!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also at least start with the truck you already have. Depending on the tongue weight of the trailer, you may be at or near the cargo capacity, but if you mind what you load with you, you will still be within the weight ratings. If you don't like the road manners of the set up, you can upgrade later.

If you upgrade, either the 6.4 or the CTD would be more than adequate. If you want to make sure you are much less likely to outgrow the next truck, skip the 2500 and move to a 3500.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go with what you have. Just don't expect to carry a cord of wood and two motorcycles in the bed of the truck. Get a good hitch and go have some fun.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, there’s a thread on this exact thing basically, going right now. And dozens more like it. Plenty of reading and take what you read with a grain of salt.
Although if you are a newbie at towing, having more truck than you need is the super safe bet.
But selling a brand new now used truck just to trade up, when the truck you have is already pretty well suited for the task is also a consideration.
I’d tow that trailer with that Ram 1500 all day long. And not be worried about a single thing. But I wouldn’t turn down a HD pickup to pull it like “it wasn’t there” figuratively.
You’re 100% within all the ratings save for maybe payload which gets the payload police on this forum all triggered. But they don’t know why they feel that way so hard to place a qualitative objection.
Bottom line it’s How you feel towing that trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The weak spot would be the payload of the truck. How much weight in people and pets will you have? How much gear will you put in or on the truck (front bike hitch, roof storage, truck bed, etc).

The truck's payload is 1790lbs. The trailers tongue weight is going to be between 900 and 1350lbs once loaded (10-15% of trailer gvwr). That only leaves you with 440 to 890lbs for people, pets and gear.

If you have young kids or plan on kids in the next few years, consider their weight gain potential the next 3-5 years. Don't keep this truck if you know a growth spurt will exceed the payload.

I would look for a truck with the highest payload available.

You're under 80% of the max towing capacity so that's not too bad.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
jdc1 wrote:
That truck you have will pull that particular trailer just fine.

I think these type statements are where the confusion often starts.
The trucks she has will pull the TT mentioned, however how well the 1/2 ton will perform gets to be the issue. On flat terrain close to home you may get by.
If you want to travel far and wide, I'd suggest a bigger truck.
Often people mistakenly believe what they have is fine or believe this performance is as good as it gets because they have nothing else to compare to.
Once upon a time I thought my V-10 Excursion towed my 34',10K loaded TT just fine....until I towed the same TT with a diesel. The experience was eye opening and game changing. Add in an exhaust brake and towing becomes even more relaxing.
A 3/4 ton truck will perform noticeably better than the 1/2 ton.
While a big block and 10 speed trannies will be sufficient for power a diesel with an exhaust brake will not be challenge by the 9K load of that TT
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

upi441kb
Explorer
Explorer
truck specs are in the first part of the post 2021 ram 5.7 hemi 3.92 axle ratio

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdc1 wrote:

Maybe I missed it but how do the rest of us know what truck she already owns?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Nine thousand pounds and 34 feet of TT...you need a 3/4 ton.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad