cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

toilet bowl water

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
trailer only 2 years old- Toilet bowl not holding water- So my guess is - it could be the seal. When i depress pedal- it opens but need water to stay in bowl. My neighbor says it has to be something stuck in there- ( i don't see anything). Any suggestions? if it is the seal- how do you change it?
14 REPLIES 14

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rexlion wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
I never let the bowl go dry...... with water always in it my seals never get dry, which maintains their ability to seal.

Agree. Especially when winterizing. I always put pink in the bowl to keep the seals wet, and lubed
Strange that this works for seals but not for dolphins... ๐Ÿ˜„

I guess because Dolphins don't ever leave the water. You won't see them laying around on the sand.:S
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
Thetford toilets have a double seal gasket where the blade slides in.
Thetford made/makes a tool to clean it.
I made one out of a metal coat hanger. I bent one end with about a one inch point. The length is about 6-8 inches. Insert short into groove to remove any debris.
I made the same type of tool and clean it out occasionally. My seal is 25 years old and still holds water. If it runs dry for any length of time it will leak, it won't leak as long as water is in the bowl and seal is clean.

HarleyEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine after a year and it still leaked. Turns out the seal was good. Took a heat gun to it for 15-30 seconds to let it relax down against the valve and it's worked fine since. Don't bother replacing it until you heat it up a bit and make sure it's fully seated against the valve. I've heard you can also dump a little boiling water in there to do the same thing. Heat gun was quicker to grab.
2011 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed SRW
2019 Raptor 421CK Full Body Paint

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer

Get one of these for beside the commode. It works every time.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I just cleaned mine 2 days ago and went to the trailer yesterday to see if the anti freeze stayed in the bowl. It did and I'm happy again. I used a latex glove and some paper towel to clean the seal and bowl up. I then held the valve open and ran my fingers around the underside of the opening with scuba diver lube. When I flush I try to make sure that the blade is seated properly by letting the blade slam from the open position. The rubber around the opening has to be cleaned every once in a while with a toilet bowl brush.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3RWIjNAfyJ4OlG13w3ewuU43onFyZqnvzPAU3_ha86cSBOvY
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
I never let the bowl go dry...... with water always in it my seals never get dry, which maintains their ability to seal.

Agree. Especially when winterizing. I always put pink in the bowl to keep the seals wet, and lubed
Strange that this works for seals but not for dolphins... ๐Ÿ˜„
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed_Gee wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
Check out โ€œRV toilet seal replacementโ€ on YouTube... dozens of videos!

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the seal in mine yesterday. Took 5 minutes. Very easy job.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thetford toilets have a double seal gasket where the blade slides in.
Thetford made/makes a tool to clean it.
I made one out of a metal coat hanger. I bent one end with about a one inch point. The length is about 6-8 inches. Insert short into groove to remove any debris.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Mine did that a few weeks ago and I also couldn't see anything in there. I put on a latex glove and with the pump turned off I held the valve open with one hand. Then I reached down and ran my gloved finger around under the seal and around the blade. I never felt anything foreign, but it now holds water again so I'm happy.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the seal and then lube with Plumbers Silicone or olive oil. DO NOT use anything petroleum based. Replacement varies by type of toilet.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand