Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Trailering
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailering

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After several years of visiting this site I have to ask.... Why are so many interesting in such odd setups to their trailering????

I travel across the US from Michigan to Maryland to Las Vegas to Tucson to Florida every year pretty much. I have a Dmax and a 36' Jayco TT. I am wondering just how many of you really need or want items like 55 gallon diesel tanks, or worry about MPG or a reasonable speed to travel at.
Unless you spend weeks and months on the road like we do annually then why would you sweat these items??
I am not a full timer but would guess our travels that takes several weeks never needed answers to these items listed above. I mean why sweat a 55 gallon fuel tank?? You only go out while on vacation a few weeks a year and your roan time is but a few days not weeks. Your speed is derived from knowing your set up and you experience again a few days on the road doesn't make you a hauler.
I don't know but most inquires seem like not of much value to most.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The inquiries are important to the person asking, otherwise they wouldn't ask? [emoticon]

Sort of like asking why you have a 36ft TT and a "DMax" when a Hotel room and a Kia can do the same thing and not take up two city blocks or drink tons of fuel oil.. [emoticon]

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a measly weekend camper. I am still a part of the rat race.
I have the combo in my signature and I have a 26 gallon aux. tank.
Often the tank allows me to go away for the weekend and return without fueling at a fuel station. Sometimes that is very convenient and saves me a few dollars sometimes it doesn't. I don't have to be on the road for weeks in order for the aux. tank to be beneficial.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom man, it’s spring time. Get away from the computer. You’re making excuses to not go outside if you’re posting threads like this!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/21 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 55 gallon tank can get you to and from a campground without having to fill up while towing a massive trailer. A 55 gallon tank can get you 385-550 miles. That's a good 7+ hour round trip with no fuel stop.

MPG is usually asked about because the person is wishful thinking. They would like to believe that they won't put out a lot for fuel. Reality is they'll put out a lot on fuel.

Driving speed is asked because folks don't like going slow. Folks get irritated when they get stuck behind a slow moving RV and when they decide to get an RV, they don't want to be that slow driver.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could say that the OP's post is of little value to me, and I could question why he posted it, [emoticon] but I realize that it was important enough to him to make the post and that makes it worthwhile. Who knows, there might even be a couple other people who find value in it. It's all good. I know for sure that I value the opportunity to make posts with my feelings or questions, and I'm glad that others have the same opportunity.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

After several years of visiting this site I have to ask.... Why are so many interesting in such odd setups to their trailering????

I travel across the US from Michigan to Maryland to Las Vegas to Tucson to Florida every year pretty much. I have a Dmax and a 36' Jayco TT. I am wondering just how many of you really need or want items like 55 gallon diesel tanks, or worry about MPG or a reasonable speed to travel at.
Unless you spend weeks and months on the road like we do annually then why would you sweat these items??
I am not a full timer but would guess our travels that takes several weeks never needed answers to these items listed above. I mean why sweat a 55 gallon fuel tank?? You only go out while on vacation a few weeks a year and your roan time is but a few days not weeks. Your speed is derived from knowing your set up and you experience again a few days on the road doesn't make you a hauler.

I have a Transfer Flow 55 gal. diesel tank. Does not affect my milage. When travling I want to have the option of stopping for fuel when I want and do not have to wonder if the diesel station is open or closed. It also gives me the chance to find the best fuel price.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

Kind of like this thread? [emoticon]

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Tom man, it’s spring time. Get away from the computer. You’re making excuses to not go outside if you’re posting threads like this!

X2!! to answer your question Tom, your post is of little value.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, people don't post because it would be a value to 'most,' they post because they have a particular question to be answered. Fuel economy and capacity make a big difference for those who travel distances.

We are still actively working parents with kids, but the vast majority of our trips are more than one tank of gas away (anywhere from 400-1,300 miles one way). When replacing our TV, I absolutely cared about these things when considering a new vehicle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailering
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.