cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery wing nut size

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I need to get some wing nuts for my batteries. I am trying to figure out the size I need. I cannot just bring the ones I have in as they are only doing curb side.
36 REPLIES 36

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I vote for using wing nuts - better that they steal the battery than the RV.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Wing Nuts, helping sidecutter or linesman pliers deficient thieves steal batteries since 1852.

It will take them a few minutes just to get to the battery on my good TT. It is not just out in the open on the tongue. There is a cover that has a wing nut holding it down over the battery box and propane tanks. It makes noise to remove the cover. Then 2 wing nuts for the battery, and 1 wing nut holding down the propane. Not a quick, easy or quiet process.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
OP here

So, I was going to need wing nuts for one of the batteries. Turns out it is stone dead. So, I will see if a local auto service shop can charge it as mine can't. If not,t he need for wing nuts is the least of my worries.
Your battery is compromised even if it apparently charges up. Have the battery LOAD TESTED.

But regardless it's highly advisable to replace both batteries.

I planned that once it was charged to have them load test it too. I will try the parallel charge first. If it works, then I will bring them to be load tested. I have one battery that I know is a year old. The others are older than that, but not sure of.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
OP here

So, I was going to need wing nuts for one of the batteries. Turns out it is stone dead. So, I will see if a local auto service shop can charge it as mine can't. If not,t he need for wing nuts is the least of my worries.

If the battery is too far gone, hook it up in parallel with a good one and then hook up the charger. Some chargers need to "see" some voltage before they will begin charging.

It is one of my older ones that I had planned on replacing. Looks like I'll be replacing it slightly sooner than planned.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Wing Nuts, helping sidecutter or linesman pliers deficient thieves steal batteries since 1852.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
swimmer_spe wrote:
OP here

Your battery is compromised even if it apparently charges up. Have the battery LOAD TESTED.

But regardless it's highly advisable to replace both batteries.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fisherman wrote:

If the battery is too far gone, hook it up in parallel with a good one and then hook up the charger. Some chargers need to "see" some voltage before they will begin charging.

Yep, I had a dead truck battery this week, and hooked up my "smart" charger to it since it was closer than the dumb one.

Unfortunately the Bat was only showing 4V, so the charger thought it was only a 6V battery. It obediently went to work & charged it all the way up to 6V, and showed full! Still didn't start the truck though.

After that, I got the dumb charger & let them work in parallel for a while. ๐Ÿ™‚

CC

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
OP here

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
OP here

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
Some are 3/8 inch & some are 7/16. Carry both.

You mean 5/16.

Yes 5/16 not 7/16.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
On some batteries the positive are 3/8' and the negative are 5/16", others, both are 5/16. I keep a couple of each in the trailer spare parts bin.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
red31 wrote:
energizer specs https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/wp-content/uploads/Marine-Master-Spec-Sheet-0194.pdf

Thank you

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
Yes, most common size is 5/16-18 threads here in the US. Not sure if Canadian batteries would have metric studs?

I know it's not metric as one has studs that fit a 1/2 inch wrench.
Right there is your answer, if its 1/2 inch nut/wrench it's a 5/16 inch bolt.

Thank you.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
clicky

IF the OP knew the actual battery model, this would provide the answer needed.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)