Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Insulating The Truck Camper Fridge Compartment Update Good
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Insulating The Truck Camper Fridge Compartment Update Good

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Operational Update
Success! The new cooling unit is installed and the fridge is back in is place. Results are Excellent!

Previously:
Insulating The Truck Camper Fridge Compartment Hoping For Greater Cooling Efficiency!
VIDEO >>> Insulating The Truck Camper Fridge Compartment <<< VIDEO

[image]

* This post was edited 04/22/21 10:12pm by Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli *

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I super insulated my refrigerator compartment but found it did little good. What did work was good ventilation and a couple of computer fans to move the air. If I get a chance, next step will be to position the fans to then blow directly on the refrigerator coil.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

I super insulated my refrigerator compartment but found it did little good. What did work was good ventilation and a couple of computer fans to move the air. If I get a chance, next step will be to position the fans to then blow directly on the refrigerator coil.

I think the one condition it will work well for is when the sun is heating the exterior wall. We have experienced thawing food when that wall gets hot and we have to move to shade it. This RMAX insulation is about as high an R Value for 3/4" as you can get. I'm planning to mount a couple quiet computer fans on top of the roof cap vent screen, just under the fridge roof cap. The previous fan was loud enough to be annoying, plus it's an easy access location.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

I think the one condition it will work well for is when the sun is heating the exterior wall. We have experienced thawing food when that wall gets hot and we have to move to shade it. This RMAX insulation is about as high an R Value for 3/4" as you can get. I'm planning to mount a couple quiet computer fans on top of the roof cap vent screen, just under the fridge roof cap. The previous fan was loud enough to be annoying, plus it's an easy access location.

Jeff I was going to say the same thing about heating up the wall. Mine did the same thing. I did insulate the intake and exhaust covers on the outside of the camper as well as installed a small computer fan on the top one. It works great. I live in Florida and no problems with warm food.

Lwiddis

Glass Creek area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Within reason more insulation is always a good idea.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think there is misunderstanding about the concept.
Insulating the compartment for hot weather usage prevents the cold from the camper to escape via compartment open to exterior air.
This way the compartment stays hot -eventually making fridge working harder and warmer.
My Fleetwood had Styrofoam insulation on those walls from the factory.
Couple years ago I did tests on my fridge and it was giving -6 in freezer and +1F refrigerator on 103F afternoon, when empty camper interior was at 99F and fridge wall was facing south.
Not bad for 18 yo fridge.
I simply keep the fins clean and check top vent screen.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

notsobigjoe wrote:

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

Jeff I was going to say the same thing about heating up the wall. Mine did the same thing. I did insulate the intake and exhaust covers on the outside of the camper as well as installed a small computer fan on the top one. It works great. I live in Florida and no problems with warm food.

Fitting the heat shield now and need to get fire resistant or proof matting separator. Reinstall the control board and install this thing. Get the TC back to functioning status. Looking forward to having some of that fun I've been missing.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For my FnR, I found the fans work well in most conditions to keep it cool. But when hot direct sun hits the wall, it fights. So I got a reflective window shield and velcro it on the outside wall just below the vent and fans. It reflects the sun off the trailer and that does the trick. It doesn't hold heat in the venting space, but helps that space from being overheated by the sun. Easy to remove when not needed.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

For my FnR, I found the fans work well in most conditions to keep it cool. But when hot direct sun hits the wall, it fights. So I got a reflective window shield and velcro it on the outside wall just below the vent and fans. It reflects the sun off the trailer and that does the trick. It doesn't hold heat in the venting space, but helps that space from being overheated by the sun. Easy to remove when not needed.

Great idea!

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 01:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I think there is misunderstanding about the concept.
Insulating the compartment for hot weather usage prevents the cold from the camper to escape via compartment open to exterior air.
This way the compartment stays hot -eventually making fridge working harder and warmer.
My Fleetwood had Styrofoam insulation on those walls from the factory.
Couple years ago I did tests on my fridge and it was giving -6 in freezer and +1F refrigerator on 103F afternoon, when empty camper interior was at 99F and fridge wall was facing south.
Not bad for 18 yo fridge.
I simply keep the fins clean and check top vent screen.

My theory is a little different. The insulation is snug to the sides prohibiting much air exchange. I see the wall insulation functioning as adding 3/4" insulation to the fridge side walls making them more efficient holding cold in the fridge. The fridge is in now and working nicely. The next thing to see how well it works is the Insulation on the outside wall and how well it keeps sun shine generated heat from entering the fridge compartment. Today was that test and the fridge maintained a steady temp with no elevation throughout the day. Well see what happens with more time and observation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Insulating The Truck Camper Fridge Compartment Update Good
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.