Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Tire Recommendations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Tire Recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Scott M

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not looking to replace our tires yet, but looking to add a spare. Rig came with Hankook Dynapro HT LT225/75R16, load rating of 115/112 (E) for single/dual and speed rating of S (112 mph). Have not run Hankook before and wondering about quality and longevity. I used to run Michelin, but based on the reviews, it looks like their quality may be slipping a little. What is everyone running on their Class C's? I'm looking for a spare now but would like to match the set when the time comes...Thanks!

2021 Entegra Odyssey 24B Class C on Ford E-450 Chassis with 7.3L V8

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The more tires on the road, the more bad reports you will read. Doesn't mean their quality is slipping IMO.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have General Tires-- Grabber, HTS, M+S tires on ours with no problems. They are made in U.S. and are owned by Continental Tire Co.

2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE
Mustang Hollow Campground, Mathis, TX. Corpus Christi-Lake Corpus Christi

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I highly recommend the Firestone Transforce HT tire. On my 3rd set and never had a flat or blowout.

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hankook Dynapro HT original tires on my class c. Same size as stated.
VG tire. Been running them 15,000. Quiet , they are wearing well . Great on dry or wet roads. I also drive them on hard-pack dirt roads that can sometimes be muddy. No problems. Would buy again.

fourthclassC

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cooper Discoverer HT3

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spare?
I’d buy whatever I could find for $50 on Craigslist that isn’t too old.
New tire? Who cares, it’s a spare. It’s not like you’re trying to optimize ride, longevity, whatever. It’s meant to get you the rest of the way to point B when you had a flat halfway there.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we never know what kind of weather conditions we're going to wind up in when traveling in our Class C, I use combination mud and snow tires on our RV all the time. I would NEVER have the smooth, highway tread type tires on our rig.

Also since tire brands are so competitive, I figure that the more expensive tires are probably "better made" .. . or they wouldn't be around long. So far we have only used a couple of different designs of Load Range E Michelin tires on our Class C - they've been quiet, had great traction in a wide variety of situations, and seem to wear forever (with 60K-70K mileage tread wear warranties).

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2019 class C came with the exact Hankook tires you mentioned. We are up to about 15k miles and don't have anything negative to say about them, If I had to replace them today and they were competitively priced I would probably buy them again. We camp a lot and will still probably age them out before 45k.

Something I want to share: I also wanted to add a spare as my C did not come with one, so I purchased an OEM Ford wheel as specified by Ford for my chassis by VIN (~$380,) which appeared identical to the factory installed wheels, and a Hankook tire identical to the OEM installed tires ($170.) The factory installed tires are made in Korea and the spare I purchased was made in USA but were otherwise identical. I purchased a steel valve stem from Napa and had it mounted and balanced at the local tire shop. My rig has an interior spare tire storage bin so I tossed it in and didn't give it another thought.

At the end of year 1 (spring 2020) I decided to rotate tires and put the spare on the rear. My FORD brand spare wheel with the identical part number to the chassis-cab wheels installed by factory RUBBED ON THE REAR BRAKES. It would NOT drive with the spare installed on the inner dual. I have to run the "spare" on the outer dual (I did not try it on the front, but the front brakes are even bigger than the rear.) So now I have one of the factory installed tires in the spare box and am running the "spare" I purchased on an outer dual. Reading online, I am not the first one with this problem. The FORD replacement wheels you purchase from FORD parts are different than the ones installed at the factory despite the identical part #.

My advice: If you choose to build a spare tire/wheel I recommend you either try it first or just go ahead and mount it on an outer dual position so a factory-installed wheel is your spare (assuming it will work anywhere.)

Patrick

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi ScottM,

If your rig is 29 feet or longer with one or more slide outs, you might want to consider those extra-capacity E-rated tires. It's like 500 pounds more per tire which means 2000 more pounds for the rear axle and 1000 more pounds on the front. But there is such a thing as "too much". A shorter lighter rig with over-rated tires translates to a more harsh ride. Just about everyone would agree that the continuous earth-quaking when being driven is undesirable. You don't want to make it unnecessarily worse.

For our 24 foot (2007 E350-DRW chassis) rig with no slide out, I am buying new tires in the next few weeks. I decided on Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 115/112R. Discount tire gave me a price on 6 for $1316 out the door. Our rig is 14 years old with 38,000 miles and still has the original tires in-part because we garage our rig. I had such a good experience with the original Michelin LTX tires that made no sense to try a different brand. I also like that they are "Made In USA".

* This post was last edited 04/23/21 08:23am by ron.dittmer *   View edit history

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Tire Recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.