cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY LifePo4 Battery Build

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was right on the edge of purchasing a pair of 100ah BB or LifeBlue LifePo4 batteries ($1600-$2100) for our truck camper. They were going to replace two GC2's. About 2 weeks ago decided to get adventurous and build our own LifePo4 200ah battery pack instead. Didn't want to wait 4-8 weeks ordering from China, so we purchased the cells and BMS from US distributors (~$750; probably could have saved $150-$200 ordering it from China; however, nearly zero recourse if you have any problems). Received everything about a week ago. It was a bit of a learning curve understanding and adjusting all the BMS presets, but managed to get everything working smoothly . Top balanced the cells before doing a whole slew of discharge/charge/temp tests to verify all the various cut-offs worked properly on the BMS. All seems well.

Have no idea how this battery pack is going to work out for the long haul, but for now it massively outperforms our two GC2's. I might add the GC2's we replaced were only 2 years old, well maintained, probably cycled less than 30 times, and performed like new batteries. These LFP's easily supply more than double the usable ah, especially when under very high loads (>100a). I can power a ceramic space heater (110a load) on high for at least 90-95 minutes (down to 15-20% SOC). The two GC2's could barely muster 35-40 min. at 110a before activating the low voltage cut-off on our inverter (50% SOC). No such issue with the LFP's--even down to 10% SOC. Did I mention weight?! This LFP battery pack and BMS only weigh 40 lbs. The two GC2's combined weigh almost 130 lbs! A 90 lb. weight savings---a very big deal when you're trying to trim weight off the rear-end of a heavy truck camper. Bluetooth and low/high temp cut-off is icing on the cake. Lastly, these LFP cells and BMS easily fit inside a small, group 24 battery box.

This battery pack offers more than double the ah performance, 1/3 the weight and 1/2 the size vs. two GC2's! Doubt we'll ever totally cycle this battery more than 30 times a year. With a projected 2000-3000 cycle lifespan, odds are this battery will outlive us---lol!

23 REPLIES 23

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
310 rated and is probably overstated. Aliexpress is a dumpster fire to scavenge cells best you can.
I need to run a half HP pump three hours. Will see how it does.
Might make it 3 hours if the motor has less than a full load. Going to need an inverter with good surge capability. A low freq unit would be ideal. Hope it works out for you.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
310 rated and is probably overstated. Aliexpress is a dumpster fire to scavenge cells best you can.
I need to run a half HP pump three hours. Will see how it does.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Big thumbs up for the LifePo4 pack and Renogy dc to dc charger! For us, money well spent!
Great to hear this worked well for you.
Thx!
time2roll wrote:

I am in process of a small LFP battery build as proof of concept for emergency power.
Should have something in the RV late this summer or fall.
I think you'll be more than pleased with its performance. What's small? 50a?

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
Do you have a rough cost breakdown for the total package for the batteries, chargers and monitoring systems? With your system are you planning on eliminating your genset?
$750 for 4 200ah 3.2v LifePo4 cells and BMS.

$175 for the Renogy 40a dc to dc charger.

Plus approx. $150 for cables/wire and hardware.

Total approx. $1075

We monitor SOC (plus voltage, current, presets, etc.) using the bluetooth dongle and app which were included with the BMS.

No plans to eliminate the generator. We sometimes dry-camp during the summer in the desert SW and other very humid parts of the US. We sometimes run the a/c for days at a time.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
Big thumbs up for the LifePo4 pack and Renogy dc to dc charger! For us, money well spent!
Great to hear this worked well for you.

I am in process of a small LFP battery build as proof of concept for emergency power.
Should have something in the RV late this summer or fall.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Anyone interested in DIY LiFePO4 batteries need to watch Will Prowse on YouTube. Simple instructions.

yes he is very informative, but hard to watch haha.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have a rough cost breakdown for the total package for the batteries, chargers and monitoring systems? With your system are you planning on eliminating your genset?

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. Just finished up a 12 day, 2800 mi. trip powering our Northern Lite truck camper with our new 200ah DIY LifePo4 battery pack. The battery pack performed flawlessly. Outside of checking SOC every now and then, never gave it much thought. Used FHU's for about a 1/3 of the trip, dry-camped the rest. Didn't make any attempt to conserve. During our trip through CO, pleasantly surprised to find the battery compartment (with primary access via an exterior door) remained the same temp as the interior (65 deg) during one particularly cold night. Looks like zero low-temperature concerns while camping with the LifePo4's in cold weather.

This was also our first trip with our new Renogy 40a dc to dc charger. In some ways, the Renogy overshadowed the new LifePo4 pack. Used it heavily throughout the trip. Sweet running the a/c off the LifePo4's for breaks on the road. Only takes the a/c about 5-10 min. to make a noticeable difference inside the camper on a hot day. Even if we run the a/c for 40 min. (~60ah), the dc to dc charger has us back to 100% SOC in about 90 min. Perfect since we usually stop for a fuel/food break every 90-120 min.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I am still concerned about the daily 15 minutes at 14.4 while in storage along with 13.6 continuous seems a bit high from what I read.

Get rid of your converter and buy a good quality PROVEN LiFePO4 charger, like Victron.

If you have the money in your budget switching to LiFePO4 is an excellent time to install a combination charger/inverter/automatic transfer switch. It will simplify the wiring and simplify your usage !
My WFCO has not been powered on for a few years. Solar is very programmable, no worries in my camp.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone interested in DIY LiFePO4 batteries need to watch Will Prowse on YouTube. Simple instructions.

If you really want to save, you can sometimes buy "grade B" cells from China. New, but they have cosmetic damage. $620 Milk Crate Solar Power System: 640Wh LiFePO4, 500W Inverter, 260W Solar/AC Input, 8x USB

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I am still concerned about the daily 15 minutes at 14.4 while in storage along with 13.6 continuous seems a bit high from what I read.

Get rid of your converter and buy a good quality PROVEN LiFePO4 charger, like Victron.

If you have the money in your budget switching to LiFePO4 is an excellent time to install a combination charger/inverter/automatic transfer switch. It will simplify the wiring and simplify your usage !

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I added a basic side terminal type battery terminal disconnect...Once the LFP gets fully charged, I simply disconnect the battery and continue to run RV on the converter....For extended storage, I deplete the battery to about 50-60% SOC then disconnect the battery...As someone mentioned, the standard Progressive Dynamics 92xx works perfectly by using the optional Charge Wizard dongle set to the boost mode...

3 tons

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
. . . I'm sure you'll be happy with this setup for many years.. may even want more!
Hope so. As for more, would be nice. Could easily fit another group 24-sized battery pack inside our battery compartment. That would bring us up to 400ah.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
otrfun wrote:
IMO this standard converter is a better match for our battery pack than the single-stage Progressive Dynamic dedicated Lithium 45a converter which produces a constant 14.6v. As per BattleBorn Batteries, if a 14.6v single stage converter is inadvertently left connected to fully-charged LifePo4 batteries for weeks, months at a time it can overcharge the batteries. No such concern with our converter.
According to Battleborn, their LifePo4 batteries can sustain 14.6v for at least several weeks at a time without a problem. Doubt 14.4v for 15 min. is going to be an issue. BB batteries can be floated at 13.6v indefinitely.

If there's still concern, one has the option to set the high voltage charge cut-off in the BMS to any value to want with a DIY build. You could even set it to 13.2v if you like. With good BMS presets, it's almost impossible to damage the battery.