Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: can a ford ranger tow trailer on steep mtns rds?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> can a ford ranger tow trailer on steep mtns rds?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

bgum wrote:

If you don't mind pedestrians passing you it should be just fine. Thats a lot of weight.

So apparently 270 horsepower is insufficient??? That’s more than the original v10 made.

OP- the same motor has been in the Explorer for some time, and I’ve never heard a single power complaint.

And I had a V10 and in some situations pedestrians could have passed me. Can it pull it-sure it can-will I be comfortable-not really.

EASY.RIDER

Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the response, think i will forget about my plans for the ford ranger. think I need something more heavy duty.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shaving cream!
Hook it and go! I bought a 285/305 rated V6 in a full size half ton a couple if months ago. Granted I have yet to be above 700', I've had no issues towing a 6500 and a swag 8000 lbs of concrete mixer trailer behind me. It does every bit as well or better than my BB 454s pulling the 6500 lb trailer.
You have a turbo as noted, so you have sea level HP up to 8000-10000' if elevation. Said V10, 454s, and my V6 lose 3% per 1000' gained. In yellowstone at 10,000', you still have potentially 100% of your HP, those others have lost 30%!
Get w rounded trailer body, keep frontal are to 60-80 sq ft, I'm having a hard time thinking you're going to have issues. I probably would have bout the 300HP turbo I4 gm has in their1500s if anew truck was in my budget. Alasit was not, so a used truck it is. I would have no issues towing a 4-6000 lb trailer aerodynamically designed with ANY of the current model turbo 4 banger or the V6 like I have.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're within rated specs, go and enjoy... unless you want an excuse for a bigger truck [emoticon]

the further you go over rated tow and payload numbers, the less fun the tow experience will be.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EASY.RIDER wrote:

thanks for the response, think i will forget about my plans for the ford ranger. think I need something more heavy duty.
You have more power and less weight than me and I been over plenty of hills. Hitch up and go have some fun. No diesel needed by a long shot with 4500 pounds. Don't worry these turbo charged engines run at much lower RPM that what in implied with people using the work "screaming". Most likely you glide effortlessly over the hills without issue.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

EASY.RIDER wrote:

You have more power and less weight than me and I been over plenty of hills. Hitch up and go have some fun. No diesel needed by a long shot with 4500 pounds. Don't worry these turbo charged engines run at much lower RPM that what in implied with people using the work "screaming". Most likely you glide effortlessly over the hills without issue.

When I said screaming, I was referring to my experience with engine/transmission braking on downhill grades with a... 2014 3.5 Ecoboost. The engine had more than enough power to make it up (without screaming), but struggled to keep speeds under control coming down without the brakes.

2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EASY.RIDER wrote:

I should have added, with the tow pkg added it is rated capable of towing 7500lbs. however I am very concerned weather this truck can handle my load going up steep inclines and also going down hill.

Plenty of power for going up hill. Any trailer requiring a Class III hitch needs trailer brakes. PERIOD !

Gasoline engines have good "engine braking", unlike diesels. You can manually downshift the transmission to increase the engine breaking.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

When I said screaming, I was referring to my experience with engine/transmission braking on downhill grades with a... 2014 3.5 Ecoboost. The engine had more than enough power to make it up (without screaming), but struggled to keep speeds under control coming down without the brakes.

No trailer brakes ?

Downshift early on long downhills !

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 12:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

jshupe wrote:

No trailer brakes ?

Downshift early on long downhills !

Of course I had trailer brakes - I prefer not to use them to maintain a fixed speed on long downhill grades. I reserve them for tight turns, traffic, and stopping.

I always downshifted on long downhills. Doing so increases RPM, resulting in the screaming I mentioned.

Gas engine braking is proportional to displacement. Smaller engines have less of it and I doubt this engine would have enough to handle the trailer in question alone on a 6% grade without riding the brakes. Modern 3/4T+ diesels have exhaust or engine brakes from the factory, which are extremely effective. Not sure about the smaller diesels.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EASY.RIDER wrote:

I should have added, with the tow pkg added it is rated capable of towing 7500lbs. however I am very concerned weather this truck can handle my load going up steep inclines and also going down hill. This same pkg has been used in the 2019,2020 and now the 2021 models. Tom

What's the payload on the door sticker and how will the truck and trailer be loaded?

Is 4500lb the empty of fully loaded weight?

7500lb tow rating is going to take a magic combination of loading.

4500lb (fully loaded), it can likely be done within the ratings but you will have to watch how you load both truck and trailer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> can a ford ranger tow trailer on steep mtns rds?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.