Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: can a ford ranger tow trailer on steep mtns rds?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> can a ford ranger tow trailer on steep mtns rds?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

You're not going to downshift and cruise on down the hill with your feet flat on the floor towing a trailer. Most vehicles won't even do that empty.

I do exactly that - I usually let the EB do all the work and don't even have to touch the brakes except to slow for curves.

All your statement does is show that you've never driven anything with an effective EB. Nothing more.

Regarding Op's question, that engine will be far less effective than the 8.1L in your sig. And the 8.1 in your sig will be far less effective than a modern Cummins, Duramax, or Scorpion.

* This post was edited 04/22/21 08:20am by jshupe *

2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^True statement by jshupe...

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

You're not going to downshift and cruise on down the hill with your feet flat on the floor towing a trailer. Most vehicles won't even do that empty.

I do exactly that - I usually let the EB do all the work and don't even have to touch the brakes except to slow for curves.

All your statement does is show that you've never driven anything with an effective EB. Nothing more.

Regarding Op's question, that engine will be far less effective than the 8.1L in your sig. And the 8.1 in your sig will be far less effective than a modern Cummins, Duramax, or Scorpion.

This has nothing to do with the subject at hand here. Last I checked you could not get a diesel with an engine brake in a 2021 Ford Ranger, so the discussion is limited to gasoline engines.

The OP is trying to tow something like a 4500lb trailer. He does not need a big dually diesel.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

jshupe wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

This has nothing to do with the subject at hand here. Last I checked you could not get a diesel with an engine brake in a 2021 Ford Ranger, so the discussion is limited to gasoline engines.

The OP is trying to tow something like a 4500lb trailer. He does not need a big dually diesel.

At what point did I say he needs a diesel? I suggested a larger displacement engine that can offer more engine/transmission braking performance, since engine braking is proportional to displacement (and compression).

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With 4500 pound trailer no extra engine braking is needed. Even at the full tow rating no additional engine braking is needed. This would be what the truck is rated for.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

With 4500 pound trailer no extra engine braking is needed. Even at the full tow rating no additional engine braking is needed. This would be what the truck is rated for.

https://fifthwheelst.com/SAE-J2807-Tow-Tests.html

The standardized tow rating tests don't involve anything with downhill braking, where your brakes might fade from overuse and cease to be effective. All they require is that the combination be able to stop in <80ft from 20mph without leaving the lane. Stating that equates to driving in the mountains is disingenuous at best.

Even with J2807, tow ratings are ambiguous and often unequivocal to real-world performance.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> can a ford ranger tow trailer on steep mtns rds?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.