Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Basics of Lithium conversion... I'm lost!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Basics of Lithium conversion... I'm lost!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Per PT: “ Nice list, but I won't put any "house" battery inside my living quarters.”

So do you keep your computer outside?? [emoticon] (lol!)...Note too, when considering danger, what is more dangerous, a non-venting LFP battery (non-hazardous’ during shipment), or multiple interior housed propane appliances subject to the duress of road vibration?? Truth is we cannot escape our very dangerous world...JMHO

3 tons

A "house" battery is not what is in a laptop. Laptop batteries are typically between 2 and 6 amp-hours. "House" batteries for serious boondocking are between 200 and 875 amp-hours. In short (deliberate pun) a house bank failure is going to release one heck of a lot more energy than a laptop--and you can throw the laptop out the door, if need be.

As far as propane goes, I'd prefer to not use it.

* This post was edited 04/24/21 02:16pm by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWC wrote:

Now that the pricing is close to equivalent (or soon will be), why wouldn't you want a lighter, faster charging, longer lasting battery for the same money? Just because it is too fancy?

Those are the exact reasons I switched to lithium especially the faster charging for boondocking and not having to fully charge..Lighter is always a plus and not worrying about life cycles doesn't hurt either..

Other than the cold weather part,I see no downside to going lifepo4 and the cold part can be dealt with in individual bases..I am truly happy I made the change...if a guy doesn't over think it,there just another battery...lol

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

3 tons wrote:

Per PT: “ Nice list, but I won't put any "house" battery inside my living quarters.”

So do you keep your computer outside?? [emoticon] (lol!)...Note too, when considering danger, what is more dangerous, a non-venting LFP battery (non-hazardous’ during shipment), or multiple interior housed propane appliances subject to the duress of road vibration?? Truth is we cannot escape our very dangerous world...JMHO

3 tons

I guess you have joined the obfustication group. A "house" battery is not what is in a laptop. Laptop batteries are typically between 2 and 6 amp-hours. "House" batteries for serious boondocking are between 200 and 875 amp-hours. In short (deliberate pun) a house bank failure is going to release one heck of a lot more energy than a laptop--and you can throw the laptop out the door, if need be.

As far as propane goes, I'd prefer to not use it.

Well, with that dang much energy potentially on the let-loose, I doubt anyone could find safe harbor in the presence of an RV’s sub-floor!! (but that’s just me...)

3 tons, peacefully co-existing with other paradigms...

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the interest of harmony, Self-Redacted [emoticon]

3 tons, searching for Diogenes in the high desert....

* This post was last edited 04/24/21 01:53pm by 3 tons *   View edit history

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons,

-30-

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

seams Pianotuna keeps mising the fact that while his batteries will work at -40, they only have 40% of there original capacity, but he doesnt own any so he wouldnt know.

so if you want to do 800 AH of availble capacity you will need 18? 100 amp hour Sio2 batteries, do you have the space to store that? for LiFePo4 all I need is three 6" x 8" x 11" 280 AH batteries to have 840AH of usable capacity available, plus because of the smaller size and such it is condusive to tuck into a heated area so I don't have to worry about any capacity loss due to temprature. a lot of people seam to think it is some magic but they are simple to use and charge.

as for the plane in the millitary or comercial, the reason is largly based of previous versions of Li that were prone to thermal runaway and could cause fires, not because of the capacity or anything else. LFP is not suseptable to that as perviouse versions like nickel hydride and other varients.

I notice every day that people who have never used LFP keep posting scare tactics to try prove that SiO2 is better even though they have no experiacnce with it and are going off sales sheets.... but oh well..

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As per my previous:

Outta respect for PT and others I’ll appropriately temper my previous response - for the record I believe PT is a ‘Good Guy’ merely making his way with a point of view to share, so in full humility I’ll offer a redaction - my own self-awareness tells me that I sometimes can come off a bit too dang harsh.... (unnecessarily milspec direct...).

3 tons,

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I met the Chief Engineer of Morton Thiokol, in July 1986. To set the record straight, meaning minus the B.S.

The project engineer of the launch vehicle o-rings begged NASA to delay liftoff of the Challenger until 2-hours above freezing had passed. I heard the tape recording of the Mission Control conversation in which Morton Thiokol did not sign off on the launch and was threatened with sanctions having not done so.

Even Chris Kraft, retired at the time, was dead set against the launch. If blame is to be assigned, place it on NASA, please.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mex, understand no BS was intended from me, and thanks for jogging my feeble memory and correcting the historic record...Either way, my point had more to do with discernment and decision making, which I believe (admittedly contrary to some) with a bit research is not beyond the grasp of most mortal techies or DIY’ers...I would easily consult an engineer (having first exhausted my own innate resourcefulness) where matters are beyond my own scope or skill-set...

However, the wholesale dismissal (by a devout non-user group...) surrounding the findings and information provided here by actual LFP users in my view seems often misleading, of relative low value (trolling?) and subjective - openly unsolicited opinions typically offered by folks that have absolutely no interest whatsoever in transitioning to LFP are overrated...

It seems that nearly any discussion about LFP’s ends up ripe with a surplus of off-hand misstatements and conjecture from these few topic lurkers...Maybe it’s merely a cry-out for media attention, or maybe in some way they feel their own battery option du jour threatened? - Folks are free to draw their own conclusions, but I find this psychology odd, though it can often be entertaining [emoticon]

3 tons

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed. A gifted novice or disciplined engineer has the ability to discern a most fitting set of characteristics for a job. For instance negative attributes of a choice must be addressed first.

Each type of battery has its negative attributes. But the attributes are not black and white. Flooded batteries can gas and corrode but at proper voltage maintenance they only corrode excessively when negative plates become poisoned with antimony.

AGM batteries cannot endure constant partial charging nor feeble charge rates.

Newer metals technology are disfigured with deceptive capacity ratings and unproven lifespan of charging balance control lifespan. The chemistry may live to maturity but the control circuitry needs 10 years of viability of a million examples. A failed control circuit renders an accumulator worthless. If the technology cost hundreds rather than thousands of dollars it would be less sensitive to critique.

I criticize eighty thousand dollar automobiles that ride like a buckboard. Car aficionados regale the public with lavish 0 to 60 performance figures while ignoring the fact not everyone is a hormone saturated 30 years of age. I learned this 40 years ago with a Cadillac I could drive for 600 miles and exit fully refreshed.

The point here is to present facts all of the facts then let the consumer make his choice. Salesman grade biasing only serves to confuse issues.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Basics of Lithium conversion... I'm lost!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.