Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Solar mppt controller, uses for "load" outputs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar mppt controller, uses for "load" outputs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be installing a 325 watt panel and a 30 Amp Renogy Rover controller. Reading through the manual it mentions the "load" terminals. These appear to be outputs at the battery voltage, I assume (the manual doesnt say) that these are in addition to the charging voltage supplied to the battery, and are primarily available power during the day when power is coming from the panels.
I can see adding a cigar lighter type outlet to charge my drones and a few other items from this source. What other uses do folks typically find for this function?

Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t have a Renogy controller but isn’t “load” available only when the panels are producing power? I find most don’t use load...me included.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lights at night.

most folks ignore that output.

mine is in the ignore category.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least in Victron equipment, the load terminals can be used to provide a low voltage disconnect, current monitoring and a remote control 'master switch'.
I run everything through my load terminals. However, they have a current limit, so depending on what your loads are, you may not be able to use them this way.

One idea is to run the small always on devices off the load terminals (propane detector, alarms, usb chargers etc) so that if you forget to disconnect the battery in storage the control will switch theses off before your battery is all the way dead.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With an RV, all loads are on the battery bank, supported by the charger(s), so no point in using the load terminals on the solar controller at all. Your solar output in amps goes to loads first, then anything left goes to the battery if it needs any. Same with the converter--loads first.

Zero reason to use the load terminals of the controller--EXCEPT--the load terminals have all sorts of settings in the controller for how long to leave them on etc, which might have an application in an RV I have not thought of. So other than that, forget those load terminals IMO.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charging an auxiliary battery would be my only suggestion in the RV world.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWC wrote:

At least in Victron equipment, the load terminals can be used to provide a low voltage disconnect, current monitoring and a remote control 'master switch'.
I run everything through my load terminals. However, they have a current limit, so depending on what your loads are, you may not be able to use them this way.

One idea is to run the small always on devices off the load terminals (propane detector, alarms, usb chargers etc) so that if you forget to disconnect the battery in storage the control will switch theses off before your battery is all the way dead.

thats a neat idea, I never could see what to use in mine because of the low amprage...

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

red31

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With all the lighting controls for the load terms, program the controller for on a couple of hours and wire up LEDs under the trailer so it GLOWS for a few hours at sunset [emoticon]

I've done this for years with 100w/motorcycle batt and 6 landscape lights around my deck.

useless to me on the trailer.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to the way Winnebago wired my coach, the chassis battery does not charge from shore power. My solar panels are wired parallel to that circuit. I bought a small 12vdc timer and have it set for 30 minutes every three days to use the "load" output trickle into the chassis battery.

The timer was less than $10 and I intend to use it when I finish my 12 vdc solar landscape lighting system to turn the lights on and off.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

arlettamorgan

Tulsa, OK

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/22 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not easy to write a literature essay.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar mppt controller, uses for "load" outputs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.