Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Solar mppt controller, uses for "load" outputs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar mppt controller, uses for "load" outputs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/22 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Due to the way Winnebago wired my coach, the chassis battery does not charge from shore power. My solar panels are wired parallel to that circuit. I bought a small 12vdc timer and have it set for 30 minutes every three days to use the "load" output trickle into the chassis battery.

The timer was less than $10 and I intend to use it when I finish my 12 vdc solar landscape lighting system to turn the lights on and off.

I would suggest an hour a day.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/22 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although Renogy doesn't appear to support it, some controllers allow the solar panels to supply power to the "Load" terminals as soon as the batteries have reached a full state of charge (a la "diversion regulator").

This allows you to heat or pump water, run ventilation fans or operate other non-essential items from solar power that would otherwise go unused.

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/22 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What BFL13 said - Load terminals have additional settings that you might need, like LVD/OVD, and on Rover 30 they also allow monitoring power consumption.

I have been using Load terminals to connect all my loads on this exact controller. IIRC, these terminals on Rover 30 support up to 20A. My currents are low anyway. On Rover 30 they are always On unless you turn them off by pressing the right arrow, so there is no difference in connecting loads to these terminals or straight to the battery.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar mppt controller, uses for "load" outputs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.