cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are going to be traveling for 5-6 months this summer and Fall covering 8-9k miles. After that, we will settle into short 4-5 day trips near our home. We have a TT and a new tow vehicle. There will be two of us and a dog.

I have an opportunity to sell the trailer and get a 30 ft class A with 9k miles. I already have a Jeep if I want a toad.

I know this has been answered in many ways but I wanted to get a fresh opinion from those owning a Class A that might have had a TT before. Would you ever go back? Is the kind of travel above worthy of a 90k MH or would a 30k TT be just as good?

I have owned a 32Ft Class C years ago and 3 TT since. My trips have all been 400-500 miles from home base so I don't have any experience covering 4-5k miles.

My TV has a 30g tank. The MH has 80g. so stopping for gas will be an issue with a TT. Floorplan and size are the same.

Feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!
59 REPLIES 59

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
speediq99 wrote:
This was 10yrs ago but back in the days I owned a V10 class C, I remember the cab area getting very hot when traveling in AZ. It felt like the cab AC could not keep the Coach cool enough in 100 degree weather. I am not sure if this has changed with new engines. Of course, I could run the generator but I never felt comfortable doing that while driving for long periods of time.

MC

I had that problem in my A until my mechanic installed a manual shut off valve in the coolant line to the heater core. Problem solved. Saved my bacon when the heater core went out.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stumbled across your question, and couldn't psss it up.

Been there, done that. Had the idea that, after owning a Class A diesel pusher, a 5th wheel could be a viable option, and was sorely mistaken, for numerous reasons.

We're back doing Class A diesel now, and glad of it. There's no comparison.

Oh, and to rebut the baseless criticisms of chosing an "A"...the dirty little secret is, maintenance might be more expensive, but you won't need much, if ANY, of it, if you just do the routine stuff in the book.

That's always the argument in these "discussions"...people buy what they can afford, and they try to trash people who can afford something nicer.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Some of these "A is better than TT" arguments are getting pretty weak.

I have a class C and a folding trailer and these are my thoughts:

1. If you already have a tow vehicle OR a toad, go that way. The money you save by not having to buy the other will get you more trips.

2. Being able to use the restroom while stopped in road construction is priceless. If you buy a TT make sure you have easy access.

3. If the trip allows, you can take the A without a toad, but you can't take the trailer without the tow vehicle.

4. Having the other person willing/able to drive the combination can be a lifesaver. If they refuse to drive one, go with the other.

5. If you like to stop for lunch, neither combo is inconvenient. If you like to eat and drive, then the A is more convenient.

6. The A will be more difficult to find a shop for engine work than a tow vehicle will be due to size.

7. If the A engine fails, you lose your home but still have a car to get around. If the tow vehicle engine fails, you still have your home but no way to get around.

8. If the A house portion or the trailer fails, you lose your home but still have a vehicle to get around.
Good wrap up.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I had a C class Jamboree never got hot. I even had to husky's wanting to have the same spot to look out of window. Look thinking back maybe it was the way the coach builder insulated that part of motor cover.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of these "A is better than TT" arguments are getting pretty weak.

I have a class C and a folding trailer and these are my thoughts:

1. If you already have a tow vehicle OR a toad, go that way. The money you save by not having to buy the other will get you more trips.

2. Being able to use the restroom while stopped in road construction is priceless. If you buy a TT make sure you have easy access.

3. If the trip allows, you can take the A without a toad, but you can't take the trailer without the tow vehicle.

4. Having the other person willing/able to drive the combination can be a lifesaver. If they refuse to drive one, go with the other.

5. If you like to stop for lunch, neither combo is inconvenient. If you like to eat and drive, then the A is more convenient.

6. The A will be more difficult to find a shop for engine work than a tow vehicle will be due to size.

7. If the A engine fails, you lose your home but still have a car to get around. If the tow vehicle engine fails, you still have your home but no way to get around.

8. If the A house portion or the trailer fails, you lose your home but still have a vehicle to get around.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
This was 10yrs ago but back in the days I owned a V10 class C, I remember the cab area getting very hot when traveling in AZ. It felt like the cab AC could not keep the Coach cool enough in 100 degree weather. I am not sure if this has changed with new engines. Of course, I could run the generator but I never felt comfortable doing that while driving for long periods of time.

MC

Bruce_Brown
Exactly
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:

And then there is common sense. There isn't an intelligent person alive that would let their loved ones ride in a camper being pulled down the road. Lets face it, in any type of accident a pull type camp will not win - period. They're just not built that well. That's not a knock on them, it's just a realistic statement - they're simply not built for it.

It's bad enough in a MH, but at least you have a decent frame around you.

With a pull camper, of any type, what could possibly go wrong. :E

Agreed. But then I don't recall this thread discussing riding in a trailer...:?

It sure seemed like it.

No way are you going to be driving the Volvo and getting up to stretch your legs, make a sandwich, use the bathroom, etc - unless you're riding in the camper. :w
Pretty sure that that was my point; can't be done with a trailer (nor has anyone claimed it can/should), while it CAN be done in a class A/C.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

Zieman Jetski Trailer

Bruce_Brown
4x4van wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:

And then there is common sense. There isn't an intelligent person alive that would let their loved ones ride in a camper being pulled down the road. Lets face it, in any type of accident a pull type camp will not win - period. They're just not built that well. That's not a knock on them, it's just a realistic statement - they're simply not built for it.

It sure seemed like it.

No way are you going to be driving the Volvo and getting up to stretch your legs, make a sandwich, use the bathroom, etc - unless you're riding in the camper. :w
Bruce & Jill Brown

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 5th wheels, a class c, a gas class a, and the current class a DP. I wouldn't go back to the trailers or the little MHs for anything. We absolutely love the DP.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:

Zieman Jetski Trailer

Bruce_Brown
4x4van wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
4x4van wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Traveling long distance in a Class A is much nicer than traveling long distance in a TV/TT. Your DW can get up, stretch her legs, go to the restroom, grab a snack/drink...even lay down and catch a few Z's. None of that can be done in a TV while driving down the road.

I'm going to disagree with part of that, it depends on what TV you have.

A friend has a converted Volvo tractor that he pulls a big 5'er with. I've been on a few trips with him in, it's dream to drive, far nicer IMHO than my Class A in that it is far more 'surefooted' on the highway. There is no hint of the 'tail wagging the dog' from crosswinds or the bow wave of other vehicles.
While the Volvo may very well be "a dream" to drive, it still doesn't allow everything else in the section of my comment that you quoted; DW can't get up, stretch her legs, go to the restroom, grab a snack/drink...even lay down and catch a few Z's. It's also a very rare towing combination.

I know it’s commonly done, but still, neither the Volvo NOR the law allow any of those things either.
While that is true in Canada, It's not necessarily the case here in the US. In fact, more than half of the states in the US currently require only the driver and front seat passenger, along with kids/minors, to be seat-belted in an RV.
https://camperreport.com/wearing-seatbelts-in-motorhomes-the-laws-for-all-50-states/
https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv-adventures/rv-lifestyle/rv-seat-belt-laws-in-every-us-state-canada

Bruce & Jill Brown

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
4x4van wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Traveling long distance in a Class A is much nicer than traveling long distance in a TV/TT. Your DW can get up, stretch her legs, go to the restroom, grab a snack/drink...even lay down and catch a few Z's. None of that can be done in a TV while driving down the road.

A friend has a converted Volvo tractor that he pulls a big 5'er with. I've been on a few trips with him in, it's dream to drive, far nicer IMHO than my Class A in that it is far more 'surefooted' on the highway. There is no hint of the 'tail wagging the dog' from crosswinds or the bow wave of other vehicles.
While the Volvo may very well be "a dream" to drive, it still doesn't allow everything else in the section of my comment that you quoted; DW can't get up, stretch her legs, go to the restroom, grab a snack/drink...even lay down and catch a few Z's. It's also a very rare towing combination.

I know it’s commonly done, but still, neither the Volvo NOR the law allow any of those things either.
While that is true in Canada, It's not necessarily the case here in the US. In fact, more than half of the states in the US currently require only the driver and front seat passenger, along with kids/minors, to be seat-belted in an RV.
https://camperreport.com/wearing-seatbelts-in-motorhomes-the-laws-for-all-50-states/
https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv-adventures/rv-lifestyle/rv-seat-belt-laws-in-every-us-state-canada

Zieman Jetski Trailer

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
4x4van wrote: