Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Traveling long distance in a Class A is much nicer than traveling long distance in a TV/TT. Your DW can get up, stretch her legs, go to the restroom, grab a snack/drink...even lay down and catch a few Z's. None of that can be done in a TV while driving down the road. The view from the huge front window while traveling (and when camped) is another major plus. And when you do stop (for the day or even for a short break), the A is already at living temperature inside, whereas the TT won't be.

Someone here claimed that the driving area in a class A isn't "living" space...or that a 30' class A is equivalent to a 25' TT. I would disagree 100%. The front chairs swivel around and become part of the living area in a class A; in fact, that is my favorite seating location when camped. You only lose about 2' due to the dash; certainly less than the tongue of a TT.

* This post was last edited 04/22/21 11:34am by 4x4van *   View edit history

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 TriZinger, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

Traveling long distance in a Class A is much nicer than traveling long distance in a TV/TT. Your DW can get up, stretch her legs, go to the restroom, grab a snack/drink...even lay down and catch a few Z's. None of that can be done in a TV while driving down the road.

I'm going to disagree with part of that, it depends on what TV you have.

A friend has a converted Volvo tractor that he pulls a big 5'er with. I've been on a few trips with him in, it's dream to drive, far nicer IMHO than my Class A in that it is far more 'surefooted' on the highway. There is no hint of the 'tail wagging the dog' from crosswinds or the bow wave of other vehicles.

He has a Smart car that piggy-backs so there's no toad be worried about.

He spent far less than a dressed up dually would have cost also.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navigator2346 wrote:

You didn't say how big your current trailer is.
A 30ft class A does not have 30 ft of usable living space as yo uhave to allow for the driving area.
I would stay with your current set up.

My front seats swivel and become a very comfortable part of the living area, as many, even most, Class A's do.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Ranger Smith wrote:

Nope . . . We love the class A. Pull into a rest ares make lunch coffee use the bathroom then go. Can't do that with a trailer. It is more convenient for us.

Have we been breaking the law? We do that with a trailer, since I was a kid.

Well, you CAN do the same thing with a trailer, but if you've been towing that thing for hours in summertime temperatures, waiting for it to cool down enough to enjoy your lunch seems like a waste of good travel time to me -- but maybe that's just me.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a gasser class A, 30', that we absolutely adored, but she was aging out, so Spousal Unit got it in his head that we should buy a trailer, since we already had my pickup that could tow it.

Well, we wound up with a 36' trailer that, while very nice, simply did not have the same comfort level (or storage) of that 30' class A. The cats had to ride in the truck, rather than sleep on the bed, which caused travel delays each time one of them screamed "I gotta peeeeee!"

Upshot was we figured out we are not trailer people. We sold the trailer and the old Class A and bought a new 36' diesel pusher class A, and promptly took it to Alaska and back. We and our cats are most definitely Class A folks.

We tow a 2019 Jeep Wrangler. Between the two vehicles, we find them more maneuverable than a full-size pickup with long trailer, and the Class A is a lot more comfortable when we fire up the generator and run the house air conditioner or heater as appropriate. Can't do that with a trailer, so when you finally stop for the day, it takes a while for the trailer to cool down or heat up.

Boils down to what's more comfortable for you. In our case, we prefer the Class A with toad.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I continue to pounder on this decision, I want to thank everyone for this great feedback.

In my research I have found that while a Class A may be more expensive and difficult to maintain, it could make a big difference when traveling with dogs. I think this matters more than I thought.

We continue to sleep on this decision :-)

MC

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

I already have a Jeep if I want a toad.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but did you double check to make sure your Jeep was flat-towable? I'm not a Jeep expert by any means, but I believe many models can be towed with all four wheels down, but there are some that cannot. I believe this is especially true with later models. But again, I know little about Jeeps, just what I remember reading on these forums.

If you haven't looked into it, I'd just double check that because that might play into your decision.

And, while I've never owned a Travel Trailer (our Class A is our first ever RV, we bought in 2004), I can tell you that the "vacation" seems to begin as soon as I pull out of the driveway. I really think that the comforts afforded the passengers while travelling in a motorhome cannot be equaled by any other form of transportation. Especially if you have kids travelling with you. Having all of the conveniences of home right at your finger-tips while travelling down the road is pure luxury.

The example I like to use is that when we're travelling, sooner or later you hit construction, or an accident, or some other tie-up which brings you to stop & go traffic for a good period of time. In the motorhome, we use that time for potty breaks, snack/drink/lunch breaks. I've even had wifey slip behind the wheel and I've taken a bit of a break. (This is in STOP and go traffic only!!! LOL) Then, when the traffic clears, we just keep on truckin'! Many of the other vehicles on the road are heading for the next exit/Rest Stop. We made 100% use of that time. Plus we have about a 400 mile range on our rig, but I usually start looking for convenient fill-ups around the 300 mile mark. That's about 6-7 hours of
potential solid travelling time, if need be.

Obviously, my vote is for the Class A!

Good Luck,

~Rick

* This post was edited 04/23/21 08:21am by Rick Jay *

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (19), 2 boys (20 & 17).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick Jay wrote:

speediq99 wrote:

I already have a Jeep if I want a toad.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but did you double check to make sure your Jeep was flat-towable? I'm not a Jeep expert by any means, but I believe some of the models cannot be flat-towed, and some can.

If you haven't looked into it, I'd just double check that because that might play into your decision.

And, while I've never owned a Travel Trailer (our Class A is our first ever RV, we bought in 2004), I can tell you that the "vacation" seems to begin as soon as I pull out of the driveway. I really think that the comforts afforded the passengers while travelling in a motorhome cannot be equaled by any other form of transportation. Especially if you have kids travelling with you. Having all of the conveniences of home right at your finger-tips while travelling down the road is pure luxury.

The example I like to use is that when we're travelling, sooner or later you hit construction, or an accident, or some other tie-up which brings you to stop & go traffic for a good period of time. In the motorhome, we use that time for potty breaks, snack/drink/lunch breaks. I've even had wifey slip behind the wheel and I've taken a bit of a break. (This is in STOP and go traffic only!!! LOL) Then, when the traffic clears, we just keep on truckin'! Many of the other vehicles on the road are heading for the next exit/Rest Stop. We made 100% use of that time. Plus we have about a 400 mile range on our rig, but I usually start looking for convenient fill-ups around the 300 mile mark. That's about 6-7 hours of
potential solid travelling time, if need be.

Obviously, my vote is for the Class A!

Good Luck,

~Rick

Agree with all of that 100% and enjoyed all that and more when we had our MH. But there is a practicality(if you can call it that) to owning a TT or FW over a MH - especially if you already have a vehicle that can pull it. Simply, there is no engine, drivetrain and everything that goes with owning another motor vehicle and I simply couldn't justify buying another vehicle that would sit in storage more than half of the time. I also never found our gasser MH's fun or comfortable to drive. The F53 was noisy and had so much road feedback I was worn out at the end of the day. Our Truck pulling the FW rides like a Cadillac. Each type of RV has it's merits and negatives. I think "how" you travel and camp should dictate the kind of rv that suits it. Also considerations to pets which I think the OP mentioned.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll,

I absolutely agree with what you added, as well. In our case, back in 2004, we had 4 kids (ages 8, 4, 3, 1), wifey & I, plus a plump Golden Retriever. While we certainly entertained the TT options, it would have required us to get rid of the minivan, buy a full size VAN, and use that. Wifey didn't want to give up the minivan and didn't want a full-size van as her daily driver. So we would've had to acquire another vehicle (the full-size van) anyway. Pick-up trucks were out because 6 in a pick-up truck is not comfortable....especially with 90 lbs. of Golden Retriever sitting on your lap! LOL

So that's when we looked at C's, and then ultimately the A's. Which has been about as close to ideal as possible for us.

Plus, I personally like the physics of a big vehicle towing a smaller vehicle, rather than the other way around. That's just me. Plus, I know I can get wifey to slide behind the wheel of the class A once in a while, but she told me flat-out she wouldn't feel comfortable towing.

Our workhorse gasser is a bit noisier inside than the minivan or a full-size van, but the drivability, in my opinion, is darn good for a 22,000 lb. vehicle. I don't find it fatiguing at all. When people ask what it's like to drive it, I tell them it's like driving my living room down the road. Unless it's windy....then it's like driving a sail boat! LOL

~Rick

* This post was edited 04/24/21 04:02pm by Rick Jay *

DS Canuck

Home address

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have have had and used everything from a Tent to a Van...Trailer...Fifth Wheel ..class B..C..A gas and finally A Diesel Pusher!
All have been fun to use and challenging to camp in!
We prefer a Motor Coach above all else and find it the most comfortable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.