Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

4x4van wrote:

Traveling long distance in a Class A is much nicer than traveling long distance in a TV/TT. Your DW can get up, stretch her legs, go to the restroom, grab a snack/drink...even lay down and catch a few Z's. None of that can be done in a TV while driving down the road.

I'm going to disagree with part of that, it depends on what TV you have.

A friend has a converted Volvo tractor that he pulls a big 5'er with. I've been on a few trips with him in, it's dream to drive, far nicer IMHO than my Class A in that it is far more 'surefooted' on the highway. There is no hint of the 'tail wagging the dog' from crosswinds or the bow wave of other vehicles.
While the Volvo may very well be "a dream" to drive, it still doesn't allow everything else in the section of my comment that you quoted; DW can't get up, stretch her legs, go to the restroom, grab a snack/drink...even lay down and catch a few Z's. It's also a very rare towing combination.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 TriZinger, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

H & E

North Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/21 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 34' TT for 7 years and pulled it just over 50K miles. We would spend 4 to 6 months in it. We decided to give up traveling because it got to be to much work for us using the TT. (We got older)

I wanted a 36' coach but we ended up with a 40' DP that works great for us. (DW wanted a washer & dryer) It is a little more expensive to travel with but the convenience and comfort is well worth it. It took us almost a year to find one that fit our budget that we were comfortable with. Finding an older better grade of coach really helped us. The DP with air suspension is much more comfortable to drive.

Everyone has an opinion as to what is best-but you have to decide for yourself what you will be comfortable with.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

As I continue to pounder on this decision, I want to thank everyone for this great feedback.

In my research I have found that while a Class A may be more expensive and difficult to maintain, it could make a big difference when traveling with dogs. I think this matters more than I thought.

We continue to sleep on this decision :-)

MC

A class A is not any harder or more expensive to maintain than a trailer and TV. the only difference is you have both systems (RV and TV) in one unit. which in the end is cheaper because you can have a fuel efficient vehicle for everyday use. and if you have one that is flat towable its even better!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

As I continue to pounder on this decision, I want to thank everyone for this great feedback.

In my research I have found that while a Class A may be more expensive and difficult to maintain, it could make a big difference when traveling with dogs. I think this matters more than I thought.

We continue to sleep on this decision :-)

MC

The dogs are one of the main reasons that I have a class A. With a built in generator and auto gen start I can be reasonably comfortable leaving them in the coach in any weather.

Also, everyone but the driver can get food on the road, use the microwave oven, use the toilet and cater to the driver's needs.

Sometimes I pull a toad, sometimes a boat, sometimes a horse trailer. Pulling a TT and a boat behind a truck doesn't seem to work very well.

It all comes down to what your needs are though. I do love being able to drive 4 hours, boondock for 3 nights and drive back home without stopping for fuel.

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NO NO NO

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NO!

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

4x4van wrote:

Traveling long distance in a Class A is much nicer than traveling long distance in a TV/TT. Your DW can get up, stretch her legs, go to the restroom, grab a snack/drink...even lay down and catch a few Z's. None of that can be done in a TV while driving down the road.

A friend has a converted Volvo tractor that he pulls a big 5'er with. I've been on a few trips with him in, it's dream to drive, far nicer IMHO than my Class A in that it is far more 'surefooted' on the highway. There is no hint of the 'tail wagging the dog' from crosswinds or the bow wave of other vehicles.
While the Volvo may very well be "a dream" to drive, it still doesn't allow everything else in the section of my comment that you quoted; DW can't get up, stretch her legs, go to the restroom, grab a snack/drink...even lay down and catch a few Z's. It's also a very rare towing combination.

I know it’s commonly done, but still, neither the Volvo NOR the law allow any of those things either.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

4x4van wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

4x4van wrote:

I know it’s commonly done, but still, neither the Volvo NOR the law allow any of those things either.
While that is true in Canada, It's not necessarily the case here in the US. In fact, more than half of the states in the US currently require only the driver and front seat passenger, along with kids/minors, to be seat-belted in an RV.
https://camperreport.com/wearing-seatbel........n-motorhomes-the-laws-for-all-50-states/
https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv-adventu........-seat-belt-laws-in-every-us-state-canada

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

4x4van wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

4x4van wrote:

While that is true in Canada, It's not necessarily the case here in the US. In fact, more than half of the states in the US currently require only the driver and front seat passenger, along with kids/minors, to be seat-belted in an RV.
https://camperreport.com/wearing-seatbel........n-motorhomes-the-laws-for-all-50-states/
https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv-adventu........-seat-belt-laws-in-every-us-state-canada

And then there is common sense. There isn't an intelligent person alive that would let their loved ones ride in a camper being pulled down the road. Lets face it, in any type of accident a pull type camp will not win - period. They're just not built that well. That's not a knock on them, it's just a realistic statement - they're simply not built for it.

It's bad enough in a MH, but at least you have a decent frame around you.

With a pull camper, of any type, what could possibly go wrong. [emoticon]

[image]

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

And then there is common sense. There isn't an intelligent person alive that would let their loved ones ride in a camper being pulled down the road. Lets face it, in any type of accident a pull type camp will not win - period. They're just not built that well. That's not a knock on them, it's just a realistic statement - they're simply not built for it.

It's bad enough in a MH, but at least you have a decent frame around you.

With a pull camper, of any type, what could possibly go wrong. [emoticon]

[image]

Agreed. But then I don't recall this thread discussing riding in a trailer...[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.