Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
malexander

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had 5th wheels, a class c, a gas class a, and the current class a DP. I wouldn't go back to the trailers or the little MHs for anything. We absolutely love the DP.

2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

Bruce Brown wrote:

And then there is common sense. There isn't an intelligent person alive that would let their loved ones ride in a camper being pulled down the road. Lets face it, in any type of accident a pull type camp will not win - period. They're just not built that well. That's not a knock on them, it's just a realistic statement - they're simply not built for it.

It's bad enough in a MH, but at least you have a decent frame around you.

With a pull camper, of any type, what could possibly go wrong. [emoticon]

[image]

Agreed. But then I don't recall this thread discussing riding in a trailer...[emoticon]

It sure seemed like it.

No way are you going to be driving the Volvo and getting up to stretch your legs, make a sandwich, use the bathroom, etc - unless you're riding in the camper. [emoticon]

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

4x4van wrote:

Bruce Brown wrote:

And then there is common sense. There isn't an intelligent person alive that would let their loved ones ride in a camper being pulled down the road. Lets face it, in any type of accident a pull type camp will not win - period. They're just not built that well. That's not a knock on them, it's just a realistic statement - they're simply not built for it.

It's bad enough in a MH, but at least you have a decent frame around you.

With a pull camper, of any type, what could possibly go wrong. [emoticon]

[image]

Agreed. But then I don't recall this thread discussing riding in a trailer...[emoticon]

It sure seemed like it.

No way are you going to be driving the Volvo and getting up to stretch your legs, make a sandwich, use the bathroom, etc - unless you're riding in the camper. [emoticon]
Pretty sure that that was my point; can't be done with a trailer (nor has anyone claimed it can/should), while it CAN be done in a class A/C.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 TriZinger, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/21 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly

speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was 10yrs ago but back in the days I owned a V10 class C, I remember the cab area getting very hot when traveling in AZ. It felt like the cab AC could not keep the Coach cool enough in 100 degree weather. I am not sure if this has changed with new engines. Of course, I could run the generator but I never felt comfortable doing that while driving for long periods of time.

MC

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of these "A is better than TT" arguments are getting pretty weak.

I have a class C and a folding trailer and these are my thoughts:

1. If you already have a tow vehicle OR a toad, go that way. The money you save by not having to buy the other will get you more trips.

2. Being able to use the restroom while stopped in road construction is priceless. If you buy a TT make sure you have easy access.

3. If the trip allows, you can take the A without a toad, but you can't take the trailer without the tow vehicle.

4. Having the other person willing/able to drive the combination can be a lifesaver. If they refuse to drive one, go with the other.

5. If you like to stop for lunch, neither combo is inconvenient. If you like to eat and drive, then the A is more convenient.

6. The A will be more difficult to find a shop for engine work than a tow vehicle will be due to size.

7. If the A engine fails, you lose your home but still have a car to get around. If the tow vehicle engine fails, you still have your home but no way to get around.

8. If the A house portion or the trailer fails, you lose your home but still have a vehicle to get around.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/21 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a C class Jamboree never got hot. I even had to husky's wanting to have the same spot to look out of window. Look thinking back maybe it was the way the coach builder insulated that part of motor cover.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Some of these "A is better than TT" arguments are getting pretty weak.

I have a class C and a folding trailer and these are my thoughts:

1. If you already have a tow vehicle OR a toad, go that way. The money you save by not having to buy the other will get you more trips.

2. Being able to use the restroom while stopped in road construction is priceless. If you buy a TT make sure you have easy access.

3. If the trip allows, you can take the A without a toad, but you can't take the trailer without the tow vehicle.

4. Having the other person willing/able to drive the combination can be a lifesaver. If they refuse to drive one, go with the other.

5. If you like to stop for lunch, neither combo is inconvenient. If you like to eat and drive, then the A is more convenient.

6. The A will be more difficult to find a shop for engine work than a tow vehicle will be due to size.

7. If the A engine fails, you lose your home but still have a car to get around. If the tow vehicle engine fails, you still have your home but no way to get around.

8. If the A house portion or the trailer fails, you lose your home but still have a vehicle to get around.
Good wrap up.

Racklefratz

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stumbled across your question, and couldn't psss it up.

Been there, done that. Had the idea that, after owning a Class A diesel pusher, a 5th wheel could be a viable option, and was sorely mistaken, for numerous reasons.

We're back doing Class A diesel now, and glad of it. There's no comparison.

Oh, and to rebut the baseless criticisms of chosing an "A"...the dirty little secret is, maintenance might be more expensive, but you won't need much, if ANY, of it, if you just do the routine stuff in the book.

That's always the argument in these "discussions"...people buy what they can afford, and they try to trash people who can afford something nicer.

* This post was edited 05/10/21 06:16pm by Racklefratz *

2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

jspringator

Versailles, KY 40383

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/21 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

This was 10yrs ago but back in the days I owned a V10 class C, I remember the cab area getting very hot when traveling in AZ. It felt like the cab AC could not keep the Coach cool enough in 100 degree weather. I am not sure if this has changed with new engines. Of course, I could run the generator but I never felt comfortable doing that while driving for long periods of time.

MC

I had that problem in my A until my mechanic installed a manual shut off valve in the coolant line to the heater core. Problem solved. Saved my bacon when the heater core went out.

Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.