Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going to be traveling for 5-6 months this summer and Fall covering 8-9k miles. After that, we will settle into short 4-5 day trips near our home. We have a TT and a new tow vehicle. There will be two of us and a dog.

I have an opportunity to sell the trailer and get a 30 ft class A with 9k miles. I already have a Jeep if I want a toad.

I know this has been answered in many ways but I wanted to get a fresh opinion from those owning a Class A that might have had a TT before. Would you ever go back? Is the kind of travel above worthy of a 90k MH or would a 30k TT be just as good?

I have owned a 32Ft Class C years ago and 3 TT since. My trips have all been 400-500 miles from home base so I don't have any experience covering 4-5k miles.

My TV has a 30g tank. The MH has 80g. so stopping for gas will be an issue with a TT. Floorplan and size are the same.

Feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no. maybe a 5th wheel..a large 5th wheel...but only if we were parking it in a seasonal or personally owned site.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have owned: 25 foot Airstream tt, 37 foot class A motorhome, 35 foot 5th wheel, 19 foot Airstream, 23 foot Airstream, and finally a 16 foot Airstream. It is hard to beat the room and convenience of a class A. It is also hard to justify the expense of a class A and a 5th wheel and TV. For anything other than long trips I liked the 25 foot Airstream the most. It had sufficient room and was 1/2 ton towable which limited the expense. It was small enough to get into most RV sites. It towed very smoothly. Only you know what your preferences and needs are.

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't say how big your current trailer is.
A 30ft class A does not have 30 ft of usable living space as yo uhave to allow for the driving area.
I would stay with your current set up.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which do you prefer: towing a toad or towing a trailer?

On your usual trips, do you day trip enough that the increased mileage of the jeep would be more cost effective than the current tow vehicle? Or is it a wash?

Are you happy with your current setup?

Unless there is some specific reason that the class C is better suited longterm, I would stay with what you have.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 03:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from a 35' 5th wheel to a 30 class a to a 37' class a. We wanted to down size and make set up and take down easier. We found a 30 class A that we thought would fit our needs. Wrong! It was all about storage I do not mean room for all the extra stuff but room for the every day stuff. The 30' just did not have it. To get the storage we gave up the 30' for an older 37' diesel pusher with all sorts of storage.

We found about about the storage problem when we started taking 2 week trips. It was then we said boy wish we had the storage of the 5th wheel back.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 04:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We owned one 30 foot travel trailer with no slides. It was fine for trips to the local state parks. On the kind of extended, long-range trips you describe the MH would be our choice. Taking breaks for toilet, snacks or stretching legs is so much easier in the MH. If you are doing a long haul, it is so simple to pull into a safe place and catch a nap or even sleep a few hours.

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope . . . We love the class A. Pull into a rest ares make lunch coffee use the bathroom then go. Can't do that with a trailer. It is more convenient for us.

Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator AA3SS . . . Yaesu FTDX 10D, Mercury III Amp, Icom 7100,Flex 6400M
Steve and Joy
2010 Allegro Bus 43 QBP . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 35ft TT and now a 37ft class A. I would not go back! Much easier travel. Everything is right there in the RV. The inside of your living area will always be comfortable, no need to wait an hour till the interior cools down. And with towing the Explorer, much easier to drive that around than my Excursion when we had the TT.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've always had MH's before but recently switched to a FW. The reason was more practical than anything. I needed a new truck and we just couldn't justify a new truck and a new MH, so we compromised. LOVE the floorplan of our FW and as far as RV's go they have more real estate than any other kind. We camp for longer periods than we used to so it's nice to have a bigger floorplan. I do miss all the amenities a MH offers while going down the road- literally access to everything. But we don't have long days in the saddle like we used to. 4-6 hours is a long day anymore so we don't miss it that much. But the choice isn't about what's better, it's just different.

* This post was edited 04/21/21 06:00am by way2roll *

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.