Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The unit is a 2017 Coachmen Pursue 30FW. Priced at 70k from private seller. It looks like it will hold its value for 1-2 yrs but I may be wrong. New is 105k + tax and fees (125k out the door). It has lost 40% of its value and still is at 9k miles. It sounds like a good deal. Feedback?

I do have a Jeep but setting that up cost 2400 - 3000. Renting a dolly may be the way to go...

It is beginning to sound like the TV + 30ft TT is the way to go... After this years tour de us, we will most likely settle into camping 300-500 miles from home base...

I am tempted by the buy the MH idea and sell it later but it does come with risks and expenses that may not be recoverable.

MC

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So here are my takes.

1. If you ask on the class A forum, they will tell you the class A is the only way to go. If you ask on the TT forum, they will tell you the TT is the only way to go. If you ask on the TC forum, they will say to dump both and get a TC.

2. You have and are comfortable with the TT setup.

3. You are concerned about additional costs involved with the class A (setting up the jeep as a toad, recouping costs if you don't like it).

4. You have this one big tour of the U.S. in the near future and want it to be comfortable and happy for all of you.

5. You just bought the tow vehicle.

6. After owning a class C, you have gone on to own three TTs.

7. You are concerned about fuel stops with the TT.

8. Your usual trips are within 300-400 miles from home which has,been fine with the current setup.

With all that, it sounds like the only negative of your current setup are the fuel stops.

So, if you switch to the motorhome and hate it, you're going to take a loss. Either with selling the class A, setting up a toad, and/or buying a new tow vehicle and TT.

If you stay with your current setup, you know what you have. You won't miss what the class A might offer because you've never had it. However, you are likely to miss what you know with the trailer if you go to the class A.

So, I say stick with the TT and enjoy. You can deal with the fuel stops. You won't need to put any money out on a new setup right before your big trip. And you know the TT will work for all the trips after this.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Mike W

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How would setting up a jeep to tow cost 2400-3000?

1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
">

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike W wrote:

If you pay to have it set-up for towing. The only fix for fueling, when towing a TT, is to have a diesel powered pickup. In the end, you will have to make the decision.

Wildmanbaker

speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may boil down to fueling.

I know you should be able to stop every 2-3 hrs for gas but I have been in places where you have long hill, what you feel is enough gas and you get hit with head winds from a storm. It is uncomfortable and probably a reason to stop but seeing that needled at the half mark point go for 90 miles at best or 50 at worse gives you some anxiety. Two 5 gal tanks in the bed of the truck helps but that is what I deal with. I just wish these companies that build gas trucks meant to tow had a little bit more foresight. A 45g gas tank would make a huge difference.

I tried looking for someone to add a 45g tank but on a 2021 truck that has implications that may void the warranty and impact truck in other ways..

MC

* This post was edited 04/21/21 03:17pm by speediq99 *

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started with a tent 1978
Then went to a PUP about oh 4 years later
Then to a TT (small one a 13' Scamp)
Then, 16 years ago, to a 38' Class A (with slides it was 13 feet wide set up. talk about an UPGRADE)

Then a semi clipped the Class A, plus I have medical issues so I'd been thinking "Time to park" so now I have an apartment. (Oh the motor home was parked when the semi driver shagged it)

Thinking about another small trailor.. My "new" Jeep can pull 2000 pounds it says in the owner's manual. (I put the insurance check to good use)

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike W wrote:

$300-$500 for a base plate,
$600-$1200 for a tow bar
$$900-$1300 for a brake system
$150 for light kit
And then 5-8 hours labor @ around $120 an hour.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 30 foot class A is equivalent to a 25 foot trailer. I have owned a 37' class A, 23' class B, a few trailers and a few 5th wheels. For serious travel, I love the 5th wheel route. The only drawbacks are set-up and the wife being able to use the restroom or make lunch while in transit (calss A).

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Until a few years ago we had both or MH and a TT. One time I was taking the TT to a campground an hour+ away for my Mom to use and I started thinking maybe just having it would be fine. Sell the MH and save the $$$.

I drove back home and grabbed the MH. I wasn't 5 miles down the road and was asking myself what the heck was I thinking.

The TT is gone, the MH is still in the garage.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

I drove back home and grabbed the MH. I wasn't 5 miles down the road and was asking myself what the heck was I thinking.

This forum REALLY needs a "LIKE" button! :-)

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (19), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.