cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Elephant Butte is best but what's closer?

s10texan1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

As you can tell by my subject line, I think Elephant Butte Lake in New Mexico is the best lake there is. Seriously, it's awesome. It's in the desert of NM, so it's like going to the beach without the sharks, jellyfish, and riptides. It's great because it's void of vegetation all around it. You put your pickup in 4WD and drive around the beach until you find a good spot. No ticks and chiggers and spiders and such. They have camper parking up on the ridge too. I wish I could go!

But I moved and now I live in Missouri. Elephant Butte is about 15 hours away by car, never mind the increased time towing a trailer. My wife has challenged me to find a closer lake, and that's what I'm asking for...

Is there a lake closer to MO (like OK/KS/NE) which has a clear shoreline that you can drive on? Lots of beach, little vegetation? If you know of one please point it out!

Thanks!

s10texan
7 REPLIES 7

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
\
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

s10texan1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice guys! We went to Lake McConaughy and it was great! LOTS of nice sandy beach and the water was pretty clean. We stayed in the camper and drove down to the water each day.

If a person wants, the have tractors that will move your camper down to the waters edge for a fee. I didn't do it but a lot of people did. Then, just wade out into the water to get in your boat or jet ski. Cool!

s10texan

rjr6150
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck trying to get a site at Lake McConaughy. All sites are now reserve only. Starting this year they are limiting beach camping to a total of 1000 between 5/21-9/12. This is between Shoreline Road and Cedar View.

Your not allowed to four wheel on the beach either ATV or vehicle.

One plus there are several private campgrounds located around the lake
Randy & Kathy
2016 F350 CC SWB 6.7 Platinum with a few mods
08 F350 CC SWB Lariat 6.4 PSD
Pull Rite Superglide 18K
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo

s10texan1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies guys. Lake McConaughy especially looks good.

s10texan

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
John Martin Reservoir, Colorado.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
The Butte is nice but it is not the best lake in NM, IMHO

byronlj