Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2002 Winnebago Class C with 2, 6 volt batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 2002 Winnebago Class C with 2, 6 volt batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
tunabob

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do I keep the house batteries charged while MH is in storage? Our Bounder had a small solar panel that trickle charges the batteries while in storage without and 110 power hooked up. Thanks, learning a new rig, any help apricated.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The six volters are wired in series. You can use the same method as in your old rig.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 11:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As enblethen mentions, the fact that they're 6V batteries matters not a bit here; a pair of 6V batteries in series is a 12V battery, albeit one physically separated into two sections.

I do it by plugging in my motorhome and letting the (multistage) converter do its job. If that's not an option and the storage is not indoors in the dark, a modest solar setup is a great option. For short periods of time or storage in cold (sub-freezing) conditions, disconnecting fully charged batteries is reasonable. Failing those, the best choice is to remove the batteries to some place where you can keep them charged...though that's hardly convenient.

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider a 30 watt solar panel and $25 weatherproof controller from WindyNation.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

tunabob

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drew, can you describe a small system that will keep my 2 6 volt house batteries and 12 volt start batteries charged? Thanks. It may mean a cig lighter plug and small solar panel for the start and another small panel with clips for the 2 sixes that are actually a 12V.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disclaimer: I'm far from an expert on solar installations; others here have much more experience and knowledge.

The two small panels you describe are a very reasonable option, so far as I can tell, and certainly affordable. It would be well to check on the battery state every now and again to make sure they're sufficient (and that the battery electrolyte levels are staying reasonable for flooded batteries).

If it were me, I'd probably get a little more sophisticated setup with (say) a 100W panel and associated charge controller for the house battery, and put in a Trik-L-Start unit to keep the chassis battery up. Depending on your budget and your typical camping situation (i.e. camping with or without hookups, in the trees or in the open, etc.) it may be wise to get at least a larger capacity charge controller than needed so you could add additional panels fairly easily at a later time, or even go with a higher capacity system to begin with.

I've considered getting a solar setup for my motorhome at times, but frankly there are not many times where it would be especially helpful for the sorts of camping I've been doing. I'm fairly often among trees, and usually not spending more than a few days at any given place such that the house battery has enough capacity for my usage without needing to use the generator (and gets recharged when driving).

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tunabob wrote:

can you describe a small system that will keep my 2 6 volt house batteries and 12 volt start batteries charged 12V.
Charged batteries will stay ok for a long time with one of the cables disconnected.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not put a battery disconnect on the battery?
Is there any ill effect to a modern automotive engine with the battery being disconnected for 3 months?

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty R wrote:

Is there any ill effect to a modern automotive engine with the battery being disconnected for 3 months?
Perhaps losing your radio presets. Lol

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disconnecting the battery may also result in the engine computer forgetting settings it's learned over time, so it would have to relearn them. That's not really a problem (it won't harm anything) but it might result in not quite so good performance for a little bit. If you have a state motor vehicle or emissions inspection, it probably won't pass immediately after being reconnected because some of the OBD2 checks will probably show "not ready" and the state doesn't like that. Driving around a little, maybe an hour or so, will usually be enough to eliminate the not ready states.

In short: there's no real problem in disconnecting the battery, but possibly a few quite minor annoyances.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 2002 Winnebago Class C with 2, 6 volt batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.