cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

0020102 generac 4800 choke problem/water heater

msta999
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall, when starting the generator, it had to crank a long time to start, so I performed a tune up, changed the oil and filter, air filter and fuel filter, when to start it and no change, looking at it I noticed the choke is not closing when cranking, if I manually close it it starts right a way, anyone use this type of generator? Ran across this problem before? I hope to dig into it more this weekend.

Also, I didn't drain the hot water tank a two years ago and it burst, know where I can get a replacement?

This is in a 24ft Carson Toy Hauler
12 REPLIES 12

msta999
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Atwood G6A-7 Replacement Unit
Atwood 96202

Atwood G6A-7 model replacement tank
Atwood 91412

Good luck finding EITHER
Dometic acquired Atwood several years ago and has stopped production/support for the 6 gal models
They have a new 6 gal Dometic Model --- it is NOT a direct replacement for the Atwood 6 gal (Taller, narrower)

Be easier to replace your 6 gal with a Suburban

I have been looking, but like you said, they are hard to find! Looks like i may have found s replacement tank, but i have to call themp

msta999
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed the connector with the two red wires, coming off the choke solenoid only has one red wire, i cant find the other one, i see the terminal in the connector......looks like the wire broke off it. If any of you can see yous, can you tell me where the small red wire goes?

msta999
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Is this your manual?
https://www.generac.com/service-support/product-support-lookup/product-manuals?modelNo=0020102โŒฉ=es-m...

Automatic choke section starts on page 7

Thanks! This looks like it.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this your manual?
https://www.generac.com/service-support/product-support-lookup/product-manuals?modelNo=0020102โŒฉ=es-m...

Automatic choke section starts on page 7
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

msta999
Explorer
Explorer
On mine there is just two small bolts that have to be loosened to adjust the choke to where you want it then retighten. Does yours have a bi metallic coil spring that activates the choke plate?

Mine does have 2 small screws, I can only see the heads, that look like they are attached to the choke mechanism but I can't see inside the plastic housing and the choke does not move at all when cranking. I may have to take the cover off to see it, but it would be nice if I could find a manual for it.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
msta999 wrote:
I did look at the generator last night and the choke linkage moves fine, looks like it is connected to a electric switch of some kind, but it is hard to get to, the housing the air filter goes in and the carb is bolted to needs to come off to see the switch. there was a cover over the linkage, that I took off and I have easy access to the choke lever, so I can start it easy from there. Anyone know here I can find a manual for this gen?

I looked around for a water heater, but no luck, not even just the tank!
On mine there is just two small bolts that have to be loosened to adjust the choke to where you want it then retighten. Does yours have a bi metallic coil spring that activates the choke plate?

msta999
Explorer
Explorer
I did look at the generator last night and the choke linkage moves fine, looks like it is connected to a electric switch of some kind, but it is hard to get to, the housing the air filter goes in and the carb is bolted to needs to come off to see the switch. there was a cover over the linkage, that I took off and I have easy access to the choke lever, so I can start it easy from there. Anyone know here I can find a manual for this gen?

I looked around for a water heater, but no luck, not even just the tank!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine did the same thing, so finally just adjusted the choke setting to where it started when I manually closed it. It now starts every time with only one crank.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atwood G6A-7 Replacement Unit
Atwood 96202

Atwood G6A-7 model replacement tank
Atwood 91412

Good luck finding EITHER
Dometic acquired Atwood several years ago and has stopped production/support for the 6 gal models
They have a new 6 gal Dometic Model --- it is NOT a direct replacement for the Atwood 6 gal (Taller, narrower)

Be easier to replace your 6 gal with a Suburban
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

msta999
Explorer
Explorer
It is a G68-7, 6 gal, made by Atwood.

I did find one in canada, but it was over 400 USD and it wasn't clear if they had one or not. I also found they use to make replacement tanks, but it looks like it is all discontinued.

I'll try lubing up the choke on the generator this weekend, once I pull off the air filter and such, I will have a better look at whats going on.

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
I have that same Generator and when mine takes a long time to start I shoot some lubricant all over the choke and throttle linkage. Fixes it every time but your issue might be more involved.

I have seen replacement tanks for water heaters online for sale.
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brand/Model of water heater?????