cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Tow with 2500 Ram

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a short vacation with my 2016 2500 MegaCab Cummins I purchased last year. Visited Table Rock State park area in upstate SC. Great towing experience!
Stats, 28' TT, 6500#+/- dry, and maybe 7K wet (we traveled lite), hitch weight around 700# and did use WDH hitch. Listed payload is 1900#, so well within range for DW and myself.
Experience, Averaged around 11.5mpg towing (speed limit or slightly under if 70mph), so did not have to fill up on 300 mile trip with the camper attached. Always used auto exhaust brake. Very stable, only felt sway a couple of times from wind gusts. No problem in mountains with going uphill or down. Also used the two/haul mode when coming down twisting mountain roads, six speed did a great job maintaining speed. Never saw the transmission temp go over 169. Did bounce a little on SC roads...
Previous TV was F150EB with 6.5 bed. Also towed well but mileage was only around 7 or 8, and not quite as stable, but not a 3/4 ton, so shouldn't really compare.
Overall, very happy with new truck. If we upgrade, it will be to a small fifth wheel, but purchased the truck to go west and maybe Alaska in the next few years.
34 REPLIES 34

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
whjco wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Good report.

Next time leave TH on all the time along with full EB. Use cruise control to maintain your speeds by setting it and using the up and down to maintain the speed you actually want. While descending lock in the gear you would have came up in this will keep rpm's up and let the EB work well.

My 2015 Ram's EB will automatically downshift the transmission when needed.

Try running 35k combined down several miles of 6% grade without touching your brakes. Let me know if you needed to manually drop a gear or two to maintain your speed.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Good report.

Next time leave TH on all the time along with full EB. Use cruise control to maintain your speeds by setting it and using the up and down to maintain the speed you actually want. While descending lock in the gear you would have came up in this will keep rpm's up and let the EB work well.

My 2015 Ram's EB will automatically downshift the transmission when needed.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I know exactly what my mileage is as I fill to top at every fill. Is it good? NOPE but it gets the job done VERY well.

I check mine occasionally but for the most part don't worry about it. Towing a large high profile fiver results in poor fuel economy....period! 😉

True, but mine is not so good BobTail either. knowing what I know I would have gone 3.42's/AISIN.

Head wind ,and pretty much uphill the whole way from Camp Verde, Az. to Flagstaff, AZ, 6.8 MPG that's the lowest Iv'e had towing a fifth wheel. Then from Beaver ,UT to Salt Lake same trip was 11.9 , a bit of tailwind.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I know exactly what my mileage is as I fill to top at every fill. Is it good? NOPE but it gets the job done VERY well.

I check mine occasionally but for the most part don't worry about it. Towing a large high profile fiver results in poor fuel economy....period! 😉

True, but mine is not so good BobTail either. knowing what I know I would have gone 3.42's/AISIN.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
packpe89 wrote:
Just got back from a short vacation with my 2016 2500 MegaCab Cummins I purchased last year. Visited Table Rock State park area in upstate SC. Great towing experience!
Stats, 28' TT, 6500#+/- dry, and maybe 7K wet (we traveled lite), hitch weight around 700# and did use WDH hitch. Listed payload is 1900#, so well within range for DW and myself.
Experience, Averaged around 11.5mpg towing (speed limit or slightly under if 70mph), so did not have to fill up on 300 mile trip with the camper attached. Always used auto exhaust brake. Very stable, only felt sway a couple of times from wind gusts. No problem in mountains with going uphill or down. Also used the two/haul mode when coming down twisting mountain roads, six speed did a great job maintaining speed. Never saw the transmission temp go over 169. Did bounce a little on SC roads...
Previous TV was F150EB with 6.5 bed. Also towed well but mileage was only around 7 or 8, and not quite as stable, but not a 3/4 ton, so shouldn't really compare.
Overall, very happy with new truck. If we upgrade, it will be to a small fifth wheel, but purchased the truck to go west and maybe Alaska in the next few years.

You're mpg doesn't mean anything according to some on this forum .... you have to look at Fuelly results if you want to know what your actual mileage is.;)
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"BD offers a 2 Low Kit for the Ram which works extremely well. I put it on my truck to use when backing my trailer into tight spots; it is MUCH easier on the clutch."

I had the same but made by PacBrake on my 98 12V. Loved it and it takes the stress off the auto transmission also.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

That’s REALLY slow. Mine stays locked down to about 13 mph in 2nd gear.

4.10s and little tires will do that!
The brodozer we got with 37s and 3.42s kicks out north of 20mph.
It won't stay on, on anything with sub 20mph switchbacks.

That's where the old 07 shined. She'd brake all the way down until you killed the engine if you let er.
Could let myself down a hill at like 2mpg with the exh brake on in low low.

On the Ford there is a very easy way to use an upfitter switch to prevent the hubs from locking when you shift the transfer case to 4 low. Could the same be done with the Ram? 2 low could come in handy for navigating sub 20 mph switch backs.

BD offers a 2 Low Kit for the Ram which works extremely well. I put it on my truck to use when backing my trailer into tight spots; it is MUCH easier on the clutch.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

That's where the old 07 shined. She'd brake all the way down until you killed the engine if you let er.

Yep, my 2013 with the G56 shines in this category! :B

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

On the Ford there is a very easy way to use an upfitter switch to prevent the hubs from locking when you shift the transfer case to 4 low. Could the same be done with the Ram? 2 low could come in handy for navigating sub 20 mph switch backs.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I wonder if that's due to the difference in rear axle and transmission. I remember specifically one hill we were descending and the truck in front of me was at about 30 mph as we started our descent and never got much above that speed. My exhaust brake never actuated the entire time down the hill.

I've got a 2500, so the standard trans and 3.42 gears. I think I need to be above 35 mph for the EB to engage, but it will slow me down considerably slower that 35 once its engaged. I'm not an expert by any means, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. T/H and EB on.

I think that is how it is with your gears. I will have to see what speed it takes mine to engage.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I wonder if that's due to the difference in rear axle and transmission. I remember specifically one hill we were descending and the truck in front of me was at about 30 mph as we started our descent and never got much above that speed. My exhaust brake never actuated the entire time down the hill.

I've got a 2500, so the standard trans and 3.42 gears. I think I need to be above 35 mph for the EB to engage, but it will slow me down considerably slower that 35 once its engaged. I'm not an expert by any means, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. T/H and EB on.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold