Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: First Tow with 2500 Ram
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> First Tow with 2500 Ram

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

wanderingbob wrote:

Same truck , when coming down a hill I turn off the tow haul as I do not like it shifting for me , tends to really get the revs above what I like . I will shift manually , maybe it is just me .

The higher the rev the more braking HP the exhaust brake is able to make. I Towed 24,500 combined with our 2015 and descended mountain passes in TH and full exhaust brake, then selected the gear required to hold back without using service brakes.

If it slowed to much a little foot on the throttle turned off the exhaust brake until speed went to the point the exhaust brake was needed again. SO your throttle foot allows you to be in control of your descent along with selecting a lower or higher gear as required.

Towing out West one gets a lot of opportunities to practice the skills of descending a pass without using your service brake. Which gives you nice cool service brake if they are required.

What you guys are failing to say is if cruise is used , it takes care of all that . If that is possible I always set the cruise for 5 mph under what I want it to run , and let it do it’s thing , never touching the brakes . Most Ram owners I have talked to say they experience the same 5 mph gain on cruise on a decent , and then it settles in .

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simply run tH and EB ALL the time and when towing run your cruise Control. Control speed with the up/down selector and drop the gear to get the RPM's up.

Try it you will like it!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TravelinDog

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on your great experience with your CTD.
I also had a great first towing experience when we got our 2017 CTD. I use the EB all the time when towing and also T/H mode.
I set the CC at 65mpg and let the truck do it's thing. It maintains the speed whether going uphill or downhill with ZERO input from me and even in the mountainous west.

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a tow caravan going to lake Powell next month with a friend towing his ski boat with his new Roush Ford 150. I tow a fully loaded Wells Cargo trailer weighing in at 6,500 lbs wth my CTD. I told him I run about 68 mph and just purr along but he says he will stay at 60 mph. I probably will have the best towing experience and mileage ever [emoticon] Spotify on and a lot of chillin. Hopefully that Ford will keep up or do the best it can

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelinDog wrote:

Congrats on your great experience with your CTD.
I also had a great first towing experience when we got our 2017 CTD. I use the EB all the time when towing and also T/H mode.
I set the CC at 65mpg and let the truck do it's thing. It maintains the speed whether going uphill or downhill with ZERO input from me and even in the mountainous west.

Although as said , mine usually gains 5mph on the steeper descents and I adjust accordingly.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

I have a tow caravan going to lake Powell next month with a friend towing his ski boat with his new Roush Ford 150. I tow a fully loaded Wells Cargo trailer weighing in at 6,500 lbs wth my CTD. I told him I run about 68 mph and just purr along but he says he will stay at 60 mph. I probably will have the best towing experience and mileage ever [emoticon] Spotify on and a lot of chillin. Hopefully that Ford will keep up or do the best it can

Tell him to use more than the bottom half of his power band and giddy up!

Edit, Roush? Bottom 1/3!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

You can likely hook him up behind your trailer and not notice too much different.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Towing out West one gets a lot of opportunities to practice the skills of descending a pass without using your service brake. Which gives you nice cool service brake if they are required.

The worst part is when you're behind a tractor trailer that is going just slow enough that you can't get your speed up to lock the torque convertor so your exhaust brake won't engage.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

LOL...Just a friendly tip that the Roush Ford 150 has a Super Charged 650 HP engine. The only reason your friend might be behind you is because he chooses to.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

LOL...Just a friendly tip that the Roush Ford 150 has a Super Charged 650 HP engine. The only reason your friend might be behind you is because he chooses to.

I know that. Tell him to get moving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> First Tow with 2500 Ram
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.