Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: First Tow with 2500 Ram
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> First Tow with 2500 Ram

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got back from a short vacation with my 2016 2500 MegaCab Cummins I purchased last year. Visited Table Rock State park area in upstate SC. Great towing experience!
Stats, 28' TT, 6500#+/- dry, and maybe 7K wet (we traveled lite), hitch weight around 700# and did use WDH hitch. Listed payload is 1900#, so well within range for DW and myself.
Experience, Averaged around 11.5mpg towing (speed limit or slightly under if 70mph), so did not have to fill up on 300 mile trip with the camper attached. Always used auto exhaust brake. Very stable, only felt sway a couple of times from wind gusts. No problem in mountains with going uphill or down. Also used the two/haul mode when coming down twisting mountain roads, six speed did a great job maintaining speed. Never saw the transmission temp go over 169. Did bounce a little on SC roads...
Previous TV was F150EB with 6.5 bed. Also towed well but mileage was only around 7 or 8, and not quite as stable, but not a 3/4 ton, so shouldn't really compare.
Overall, very happy with new truck. If we upgrade, it will be to a small fifth wheel, but purchased the truck to go west and maybe Alaska in the next few years.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good report.

Next time leave TH on all the time along with full EB. Use cruise control to maintain your speeds by setting it and using the up and down to maintain the speed you actually want. While descending lock in the gear you would have came up in this will keep rpm's up and let the EB work well.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats and welcome to the world of diesel smiles.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You had a very positive experience with the 3/4 ton!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same truck , when coming down a hill I turn off the tow haul as I do not like it shifting for me , tends to really get the revs above what I like . I will shift manually , maybe it is just me .

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

Same truck , when coming down a hill I turn off the tow haul as I do not like it shifting for me , tends to really get the revs above what I like . I will shift manually , maybe it is just me .

OEM's spend many millions of dollars calibrating the computer to properly select gears. I trust they know how to put the trans in the correct gears.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

wanderingbob wrote:

OEM's spend many millions of dollars calibrating the computer to properly select gears. I trust they know how to put the trans in the correct gears.

The only thing the computer does to "select gears" when going down hill with tow haul on is continue to downshift anytime it can to try to keep slowing the truck down. Personally, I am not a fan of it either. My first choice would be to have paddles where you could actually determine which gear you go in. Shifting manually really isn't an option as the only thing the toggle does is limits the top available gear.

Long way of saying that there is room for improvement here, and the computer most certainly does not know best.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

philh wrote:

wanderingbob wrote:

The only thing the computer does to "select gears" when going down hill with tow haul on is continue to downshift anytime it can to try to keep slowing the truck down. Personally, I am not a fan of it either. My first choice would be to have paddles where you could actually determine which gear you go in. Shifting manually really isn't an option as the only thing the toggle does is limits the top available gear.

Long way of saying that there is room for improvement here, and the computer most certainly does not know best.

I am not familiar with the Ram transmissions, but my Ford has M (manual) available to select. In this mode, it does shift manually, needing to be shifted up/down with the paddles.

I don't use T/H on a long steep decent, as it will lower the gear, each time braking, and end up with too low of speed, and higher rpm than I want. Using the manual mode in my Ford, is IMO, a much better choice for long downhills of 7% or more.

Jerry

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

The higher the rev the more braking HP the exhaust brake is able to make. I Towed 24,500 combined with our 2015 and descended mountain passes in TH and full exhaust brake, then selected the gear required to hold back without using service brakes.

If it slowed to much a little foot on the throttle turned off the exhaust brake until speed went to the point the exhaust brake was needed again. SO your throttle foot allows you to be in control of your descent along with selecting a lower or higher gear as required.

Towing out West one gets a lot of opportunities to practice the skills of descending a pass without using your service brake. Which gives you nice cool service brake if they are required.

Ford Edge ST Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 335HP and 380 Lb Ft - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome. Retired and enjoying it!

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

You had a very positive experience with the 3/4 ton!

People rarely have a negative experience when moving up from a 1/2 ton truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> First Tow with 2500 Ram
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.