cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions on using solar.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time we camp with electricity. But a few times a year we go to music festivals or other events that are non-electric, plus and occasional boondock trip.

I am not a fan of generators but the only other option seems to be solar. However, when parked with no shade, the summer sun turns my TT into an easy-bake oven. In the deep shade, fans do a passable job of keeping things cool.

I find solar to be quite a quandary. Solar needs sun, but the typical TT mounted panels are not large enough to power the AC. When parked in the shade the amount of solar energy is reduced, plus the roof mounted panels are not at their optimum sun angle.

I have read a few comments about off-roof panels mounted so they can be moved into the sun and set at a better sun angle. Also, comments on lithium battery packs for more energy storage. Neither seem practical of cost effective, except in a semi-permanent long term installation.

My question is how many people find solar practical for short term vacation travel?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
13 REPLIES 13

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
We have 400w solar on the roof and another portable 100 in storage, 2K invertor and run most everything off of the original 2-12v batteries. The batteries are typically at or above 13v by the time I wake up in the morning. My 7 year old batteries are getting weak and to avoid any overnight furnace issues I’m contemplating 2- 6v or stick with 2-12v.
Either way, “AC running off of batteries” is your question. How to charge the required huge battery bank is the solar comment. IMO it’s better to just use Gen for AC.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Solar is king for boondocking.
Generators are for running AC.

Solar works in the shade, though not as good as in full sun, but you will get power in the shade, and even heavy shade has some daylight making it through.
If you will always be in the shade then simply install more panels to make up for lack of full sun.

To run AC off solar will require a large RV roof completely full of panels, and then you still might need extra panels, and then you can only run it in the daylight.
To have enough batteries to run an AC at night is just non-sense. Use the generator. Spend money to have a silent running gen instead of a ridiculous amount of panels.
You would also want the more efficient split AC units, not the RV roof ACs.

For boondocking you must adapt boondocking practices.
Use propane instead of eletricity. Use power sparingly. Use large consuming things early in the day when there is light and when there is time to recharge the batts that you wasted on high-electrical need items.

Your furnace fan will eat up batteries at night. Can your batteries run a furnace all night? Can you use a Buddy heater? These have their own set of issues though.

I only have 200 watts of solar and only two batteries. I rarely have need for more.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
Most of the time we camp with electricity. But a few times a year we go to music festivals or other events that are non-electric, plus and occasional boondock trip.

I am not a fan of generators but the only other option seems to be solar.
The other option is to install a larger battery and park in the deep shade.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Old wizard,

I believe you are correct. Unless the wife wants to commit to a solar friendly camping approach or she really wants to boondock, my best short term solution is my "quiet generator".

I cannot really complain, the wife and I spent the better part of 20 years taking the kids and grandkids wilderness canoe camping in MN. A canoe and tent were our RV and we have many great memories.

When the kids and grandkid scattered about the country and I finally retired, we opted for more creature comforts. Still, it is nice to take an occasional boondock trip to answers the call of the wild.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fans usually work great overnight. Even better if you can find a USB powered one or a 12V.

We do have solar, and it works for most of our boondocking or overnight parking without hookups, but occasionally we'll be in a situation where running the AC is unavoidable. You'd need a couple thousand invested in a lithium battery bank to do it for a couple hours. Or, you can run the generator...

This is why I invested in quiet Honda generators, and not one of the $500 chain store specials...

For just the air conditioner, a single Honda EU2000i works fine, although I do flip the breaker to our converter off. Outside, is barely noticeable above the noise of the air conditioner unit running. Inside, the noise is undetectable.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“My question is how many people find solar practical for short term vacation travel?”

Absolutely practical. I don’t like my generator’s noise or that from neighbors’ generators. My solar system almost always fully recharges my batteries daily. Careful campsite selection gives me enough shade and sunlight. If I’m in an area where the only comfortable place is inside my TT with the AC on, I go camp elsewhere. PS...panels don’t power anything. They recharge batteries.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:

IMHO, solar, batteries and an inverter are not for you !

Park in the shade. Live with a small generator. Replace you current battery with two 6V golf carts batteries. Use 12V fans for overnight.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I need AC both for heat reduction and humidity reduction. places like cincinnati can be 70 degrees and still miserable.
bumpy

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe if you asked real nice, the operators of the events you attend would hold them at a cooler location. :B LOL

Obviously that is not a solution for you.
Camping in an RV is all about tradeoffs. If you cannot stomach a genertor when the AC is needed, then the other choices are to spend a ton of $$$ on a solar system, or leave the RV at home and get a motel.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camp where it is cooler. At least where it will cool off at night. Upgrade your stock ceiling vent fan to move the hot air out in the evening/overnight. Don't hang out in the RV during the heat of the day. If you camp in a clearing of trees you may get enough solar but the shade will come earlier in the afternoon. Same if you camp east of a mountain you will not have late afternoon direct sun.

If I need A/C at night I am looking for hookups.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Solar works fine for me. While I carry a small (900/700 watt) generator to top off the batteries, I have never needed it in the last 11 years.

I have a pair off 160 watt panels on the roof & carry a 160 watt portable panel. Have gone as long as 91 days in a row without hookups. I generally spend the winter in Arizona's Long Time Visitor Areas dry camping. While no shade on the rooftop panels, during summers I often camp under trees & use the portable panel for most of the charging.

For most of the time I relied on a pair of 6V, 232 amp hour batteries, however two years ago I switched to a pair of 100 amp hour Battleborn lithium batteries. This year I added a third lithium battery. I typically use 50 - 60 amp hours per day.

B-n-B
Explorer II
Explorer II
We boondock about 99% of the time. Whether short or long trips we tend to stay in forest service, BLM or state parks with little to no amenities. Because of this, solar is our go to source for power in our rig. In those instances where A/C is required I run the Honda 2200 as needed. I’m on my third solar install and chose a lithium battery this time for its deeper reserve and zero service requirements. With its longer life expectancy the initial higher cost should level out over time. We’ll see how it goes.

Here’s an excellent site to get smart on solar with in-depth assessments on practical RV installs, products and appropriate sizing for just about any need.

https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Solar works fine...if you don't need air/con. So if you camp in the mountains or spring/fall where it's cool, it makes a lot of sense (assuming you can stay out of the shade).

Once you need/want air/con, it's technically possible buy highly impractical.

No secret sauce.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV