Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Some questions on using solar.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Some questions on using solar.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old wizard,

I believe you are correct. Unless the wife wants to commit to a solar friendly camping approach or she really wants to boondock, my best short term solution is my "quiet generator".

I cannot really complain, the wife and I spent the better part of 20 years taking the kids and grandkids wilderness canoe camping in MN. A canoe and tent were our RV and we have many great memories.

When the kids and grandkid scattered about the country and I finally retired, we opted for more creature comforts. Still, it is nice to take an occasional boondock trip to answers the call of the wild.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

Most of the time we camp with electricity. But a few times a year we go to music festivals or other events that are non-electric, plus and occasional boondock trip.

I am not a fan of generators but the only other option seems to be solar.
The other option is to install a larger battery and park in the deep shade.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar is king for boondocking.
Generators are for running AC.

Solar works in the shade, though not as good as in full sun, but you will get power in the shade, and even heavy shade has some daylight making it through.
If you will always be in the shade then simply install more panels to make up for lack of full sun.

To run AC off solar will require a large RV roof completely full of panels, and then you still might need extra panels, and then you can only run it in the daylight.
To have enough batteries to run an AC at night is just non-sense. Use the generator. Spend money to have a silent running gen instead of a ridiculous amount of panels.
You would also want the more efficient split AC units, not the RV roof ACs.

For boondocking you must adapt boondocking practices.
Use propane instead of eletricity. Use power sparingly. Use large consuming things early in the day when there is light and when there is time to recharge the batts that you wasted on high-electrical need items.

Your furnace fan will eat up batteries at night. Can your batteries run a furnace all night? Can you use a Buddy heater? These have their own set of issues though.

I only have 200 watts of solar and only two batteries. I rarely have need for more.

SabreCanuck

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 400w solar on the roof and another portable 100 in storage, 2K invertor and run most everything off of the original 2-12v batteries. The batteries are typically at or above 13v by the time I wake up in the morning. My 7 year old batteries are getting weak and to avoid any overnight furnace issues I’m contemplating 2- 6v or stick with 2-12v.
Either way, “AC running off of batteries” is your question. How to charge the required huge battery bank is the solar comment. IMO it’s better to just use Gen for AC.

2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ">

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Some questions on using solar.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.