cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite Antenna Installation in Seattle Area

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking for advice on which satellite system to get for my 5th as well as recommendations for who to hire to do the antenna installation.

Here is what I think I want, but am interested in hearing what others like and why:

DISH because I can turn the service on and off on a monthly basis.

A roof mounted antenna because I don't want something else to pull out and setup whenever we stop.

An antenna that is NOT enclosed in a dome to avoid signal degrading by water droplets on the dome.

A receiver that includes a DVR is a must.

A system that will automatically point the antenna correctly.

Installation by a mobile tech, but I could take it to an installer if they can guarantee same day installation.

So what system did you go with and who did a great job installing it?

Thanks,
Gene
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
8 REPLIES 8

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Cool! :C

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
I should also mention that I do not believe the "outdoor package" that allows month to month usage is available if you go with the Hopper/Joey combination so be sure you check with DISH as to their receiver requirements. I know you have to purchase the hardware to get that plan ($$$ Hopper) but I seem to remember it was meant for use with a dome and a Wally.

I have two purchased Hoppers and a Joey on my "Outdoors" pay-as-you-go account. My dish is a 1000.4 full sized dish mounted on a portable tripod.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I should also mention that I do not believe the "outdoor package" that allows month to month usage is available if you go with the Hopper/Joey combination so be sure you check with DISH as to their receiver requirements. I know you have to purchase the hardware to get that plan ($$$ Hopper) but I seem to remember it was meant for use with a dome and a Wally.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
The best open face automatic DISH antenna is the R F Mogul Eagle. If something goes wrong it is repairable on the road unlike the Winegard units that have to be removed and sent back for repair. Any parts needed can be purchased from R F Mogul unlike Winegard that will not sell you repair parts.

R F Mogul Eagle

Where to buy

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
CarnationSailor wrote:
I'm looking for advice on which satellite system to get for my 5th as well as recommendations for who to hire to do the antenna installation.

Here is what I think I want, but am interested in hearing what others like and why:

DISH because I can turn the service on and off on a monthly basis.

A roof mounted antenna because I don't want something else to pull out and setup whenever we stop.

An antenna that is NOT enclosed in a dome to avoid signal degrading by water droplets on the dome.

A receiver that includes a DVR is a must.

A system that will automatically point the antenna correctly.

Installation by a mobile tech, but I could take it to an installer if they can guarantee same day installation.

So what system did you go with and who did a great job installing it?

Thanks,
Gene

It is still my understanding you can cancel and start your service whenever you want, for a day, a weekend, week or month. At startup you only need to pay for the time previously used to restart the service. Worth the time to call to cancel your service as their least expensive package is still about $70 a month.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Winegard Trav'ler or the RF Mogul antenna are, by far, your best choice. They are both expensive but they are highly dependable and give you the exact same service you would have in your home. These days the dome antennas just don't allow for the use of the sophisticated DVR's available from DISH and DTV. Once you have that experience you would never go back.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Dish playmaker with wally ( High Def tv) or two walleyes if you want. Add hardisk ($90)for recording and hard mount kit ($65). All for about $500 up front then whatever is going rate to install per hour. Current cost is $5 per receiver per month activated if you have Dish at home. Also onetime activation of Hard disk is $40. Based on first hand experience there is no more rain fade with enclosed dish than there is with house mounted exposed dish.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The Winegard Trav'ler is the most common full sized self aiming roof mount satellite dish. And unlike the self aiming dome style dishes, it works with the current Dish Hopper series DVR receivers. Most RV dealers and some mobile RV techs can handle the installation. Plan on spending ~$2,000+ for the complete installation not including the monthly programming fees.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate