cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coast to Coast east to west

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are expecting opportunity to travel from Raleigh NC to Squim, Washington during month of June in our 42FT MH. Any travel suggestions, routes, route to stay away from would be appreciated.

We looked at RV Trip wizard and it selected any one of three but being 3000 miles I prefer to truth the drivers first and foremost.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :?
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
14 REPLIES 14

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Since I have driven must of PCH 1 in my 40' with towed I would disagree. Some of that area means you have to park the RV and make the drive in the tow. I don't find anything wrong with that either. Some folks don't like CA. I do when it's on the way to another State as a destination.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
LouLawrence wrote:
On the other hand, if you avoid CA you will also avoid some of the most beautiful Country on this Planet. $3 or $4 is really not going to make much difference in your retirement plan. I have traveled CA S to N and N to S and I have bitched the entire route. Well, the entire route expect for the places I parked along the way. CA coast is something that should not be missed. The OR and WA coast (in my opinion) is even better but there is nothing about our CA travels that I have ever regretted. If you can't afford the fuel you really can't afford to RV!

To each his own. The ONLY beautiful places along the California coast is from Hwy 1 and that can't be seen from a 42' coach. Driving a 42' coach thru Laguna, Newport or Huntington just ain't gonna get it, IMHO...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand, if you avoid CA you will also avoid some of the most beautiful Country on this Planet. $3 or $4 is really not going to make much difference in your retirement plan. I have traveled CA S to N and N to S and I have bitched the entire route. Well, the entire route expect for the places I parked along the way. CA coast is something that should not be missed. The OR and WA coast (in my opinion) is even better but there is nothing about our CA travels that I have ever regretted. If you can't afford the fuel you really can't afford to RV!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are foolish enough to plan your travels through the Golden State, expect to pay $4 for fuel and with a 42' coach some of the roads are restricted, such as Hwy 1, along the coast and 49 through the Gold Country. Here is the map for reference....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
camper19709 wrote:
My biggest suggestion is to be off the road and stopped for the night before the sun starts to set. The sunset will blind you.

If the OP has a month to make 3000miles, he should be able to leave at 10am and be in by 2pm with several non-travel days mixed in.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest suggestion is to be off the road and stopped for the night before the sun starts to set. The sunset will blind you.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the northwest it is pronounced swim with a Q in front of it 🙂
Don't miss the chance to do the North Cascade highway route 20 it is the prettiest road in the nation.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
HighwayJunky wrote:
Wife and I are expecting opportunity to travel from Raleigh NC to Squim, Washington during month of June in our 42FT MH. Any travel suggestions, routes, route to stay away from would be appreciated.

We looked at RV Trip wizard and it selected any one of three but being 3000 miles I prefer to truth the drivers first and foremost.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :?

Check out US 50 route. If you want to enjoy your trip. Stay off the freeway when possible. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
If you take I-90 you will see a couple signs for Wall Drug in South Dakota.

I suggest stopping there and getting some ice cream.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Close to or maybe 3K miles. I might try to miss Chicago somehow. I-90 is not a bad route, we have done that many times over the years, but ernie is right, that sun in the west can be tough. Start early and get off the road early. We have had headwinds and tailwinds many times, but still my choice if I am trying to get some place with a limited amount of time
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
On a trip we took from the east coast to the west coast we found ourselves staring directly into the sun especially towards the evening as the sun set. Was not a problem when we were heading east maybe because we left our campsite in the late mornings.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest would be I90. With plenty of opportunity for sightseeing along the way. It’s an easy drive once your west of IL (WI/IL border).
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are just trying to get there, plug it into google maps and pick a freeway route.

If you want to see things along the way and assuming you are familiar with and have visited the states around NC...I would suggest put in a longer day to get out to around the Mississippi. Then a second longer day to get to Denver.

There are lots of options with such a big area but what I might do (favoring National Parks):

From that point you can wander thru Colorado (Rocky Mountain NP), Utah (Arches, Salt Lake City, Dinosaur NM) up to Grand Teton/Yellowstone with a side trip to Glacier N.P. If Canada is open, swing north to Banff/Jasper NP.

Alternatively, from Arches, you could swing south and hit, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, then up thru Death Valley, Sequoia, Yosemite, and up the west coast.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you looking at a sight seeing tour or a direct drive to your destination?
Will waiting a few days for snow to clear in a high elevation be a problem? Many of your northern passes can still get snow in June.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500