cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV travel across Canada during these lockdown times

Sledgehammer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a RV rental company relocation deal from Toronto to Vancouver in a week or so which is technically a commercial delivery (I believe). We will have a company letter stating that. How that will be interpreted but any police stops I've no idea. Especially if we're not on a direct route to Vancouver.

Just trying to figure what this journey will be like as more of the country closes down. I think we will have just lost some of our reservations to stay in some of the National Parks.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Also welcome to share any experiences if you're on the road in the next few+?? weeks.
35 REPLIES 35

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JaxDad wrote:

When you fly they know your exposure is limited to a few people, and only at the destination. When you drive you could be going anywhere and doing anything. At the airport thereโ€™s lots of time and space to have a good look at people and test them, at a border crossing, forget it.

A few people, like hundreds or thousands at the airport, 50 different of which are jammed into a shuttle bus to the rental car place or tram from the terminal like every 30 seconds?
Yup, totally makes sense....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boon Docker wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/prs/orders/index.html and scroll down.

I am all for restrictions, but there are some rules in that PDF that are beyond ridiculous. Such as: You are prohibited to socialize with friends in your backyard. But you can all meet and socialize down at the tavern.

It makes total sense, no different than air travel versus land crossings.

The tavern owners & staff are trained and have a LOT to lose if they allow violations or stupidity, drunks in the backyard? ......... Not so much.

Sorry, but I disagree.

That does not make sense either, that you can fly to a destination, but not allowed to drive across the border to that destination.

If that country does not want foreigners in their country why allow air travel.

When you fly they know your exposure is limited to a few people, and only at the destination. When you drive you could be going anywhere and doing anything. At the airport thereโ€™s lots of time and space to have a good look at people and test them, at a border crossing, forget it.

Could you imagine the mess telling people they needed to be at a land crossing 2 hours before crossing?

Where would they put all the people & their vehicles.

The 3 day quarantine is the same, thereโ€™s dozens of hotels around major airports, but not at land crossings thus no where for them to stay while test results come back.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

I am all for restrictions, but there are some rules in that PDF that are beyond ridiculous. Such as: You are prohibited to socialize with friends in your backyard. But you can all meet and socialize down at the tavern.

The tavern owners & staff are trained and have a LOT to lose if they allow violations or stupidity, drunks in the backyard? ......... Not so much.

Sorry, but I disagree.

That does not make sense either, that you can fly to a destination, but not allowed to drive across the border to that destination.

If that country does not want foreigners in their country why allow air travel.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boon Docker wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boon Docker wrote:
Yes, Canada is way behind the US in vaccinations.
US sits at about 26% fully vaccinated.
Canada sits at about 2.5% fully vaccinated.

Too bad you BCers can't come down here for a vax. They're trying to give 'em away in Seattle and cant fill all the appointments!
This in a state that is super PRO Rona restrictions...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
... edit: nothing to add to the vax argument ... but Iโ€™ve done commercial travel back and forth Quebec City to interior BC in the last 2-1/2 weeks with RV type units.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
This is the bottom line of the OPโ€™s original post;
Also welcome to share any experiences if you're on the road in the next few+?? weeks.

The thread has since gone off topic to vaccines and COVID case numbers.
Please stick to the OPโ€™s original topic or the thread will be closed.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit Dog,

Cases per million USA 99,001, deaths per M 1,766

Cases per million Canada 31,436, deaths per M 633

Both sets of numbers are a disaster.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Sledgehammer wrote:
We have a RV rental company relocation deal from Toronto to Vancouver in a week or so which is technically a commercial delivery (I believe). We will have a company letter stating that. How that will be interpreted but any police stops I've no idea. Especially if we're not on a direct route to Vancouver.

Just trying to figure what this journey will be like as more of the country closes down. I think we will have just lost some of our reservations to stay in some of the National Parks.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Here's one

https://rairfoundation.com/stasi-alert-police-threaten-to-take-children-from-parents-after-neighbors...

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Well thatโ€™s completely over stepping bounds to restrict outdoor, rural activities.
Even the lib parts of the US have just recently figured out that masks donโ€™t do squat outdoors.
(Or indoors for that fact except to catch the spray from a sneeze or cough)
Thatโ€™s too bad. Feel soorry for you folks up there.

And yet when you look at โ€˜the big pictureโ€™ things donโ€™t look as bad up here as some think.

The US has a population of 328.2 million and (currently) a 7 day case count of 53,803.

Canada has a population of 37.6 million and (currently) a 7 day case count of 7,992.

So America has 8.73 times Canadaโ€™s population, but despite 10 times the level of vaccination, it still has 6.73 times the number of cases.

Canada then only has a 23% higher rate of infection currently.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Orion wrote:
Well thatโ€™s completely over stepping bounds to restrict outdoor, rural activities.
Even the lib parts of the US have just recently figured out that masks donโ€™t do squat outdoors.

Thankfully, the phrases, "Those who trade liberty for safety end up with neither" or "My freedom is much more important than your safety" are rarely heard in Canada. For that, we are truly grateful!

X2

Orion
Explorer
Explorer

Thankfully, the phrases, "Those who trade liberty for safety end up with neither" or "My freedom is much more important than your safety" are rarely heard in Canada. For that, we are truly grateful!
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!