Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Test charging stop for large EV’s, busses, trucks, mohos.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Test charging stop for large EV’s, busses, trucks, mohos.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/21 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How large of a power grid will be needed to recharge 2 or 3 hundred trucks such as Amazon or UPS or even USPS overnight? What will it cost to get the power to the charging stations?
Lots of expensive problems to work out.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/21 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ALL transportation is 20% to 30% increase in the grid and will take decades to convert.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

How large of a power grid will be needed to recharge 2 or 3 hundred trucks such as Amazon or UPS or even USPS overnight? What will it cost to get the power to the charging stations?
Lots of expensive problems to work out.

Overnight?? That’s easy. It’s the one or two hour fast charge that gets difficult. If Tesla can put in 100 stall 250 KW V3 Superchargers then 200 x 50 KW overnighters should be doable. Some on site storage would help. Tesla does that.

vern kelly

la crescenta, ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 10:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing for sure there will be Lawyers specializing in "cord trip and fall injuries"

One question I never see brought up is longevity. Average US car on the road today is ~12 years old. Many cars in California and the west 20 years or more on the road with original drive train. Tesla batteries are guaranteed for 8 years retaining 75% of their charge range. I suspect a steep drop off after ~10 years regardless of miles driven. This could have a big impact on used EV prices.Probably battery replacement at that age and would offset today's cars maintenance somewhat.

Not sure of the average semi truck on the road age today. That would be good to know.

I'm serious about the Lawyers! Can you imagine a four car family with all electric cars with some parked on the street!

1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vern kelly wrote:

One thing for sure there will be Lawyers specializing in "cord trip and fall injuries"

One question I never see brought up is longevity. Average US car on the road today is ~12 years old. Many cars in California and the west 20 years or more on the road with original drive train. Tesla batteries are guaranteed for 8 years retaining 75% of their charge range. I suspect a steep drop off after ~10 years regardless of miles driven. This could have a big impact on used EV prices.Probably battery replacement at that age and would offset today's cars maintenance somewhat.

Not sure of the average semi truck on the road age today. That would be good to know.

I'm serious about the Lawyers! Can you imagine a four car family with all electric cars with some parked on the street!

Just the opposite. Most degradation happens in the first year or two.

I can’t follow your lawyers thing. What are you talking about.

vern kelly

la crescenta, ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/21 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a true statement Reisender concerning depreciation. But a 10 year old car still has value today and most Americans buy used cars, not new. Hopefully less maintenance on EVs will offset the battery replacement costs.

As far a lawyers specializing in trip and fall, black cords are not too visible especially at night. I already see heavy cords strung across walkways, yards, sidewalks ect. in my neighborhood. We Americans are a litigious society. Most people do not park cars in their garage as they are full of stuff unfortunately!

EVs are coming and as they do new issues will present themselves. These are a couple I see that I don't see talked about.

Luv reading the discussions on RV.net

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/21 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As batteries improve I see the battery outlasting the vehicle. In the future we might by a glider and swap in our old battery and keep on driving. Or the battery will be used for utility or home storage of electricity for an additional decade or two.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm closing the myriad of EV threads. Please use this one instead.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Test charging stop for large EV’s, busses, trucks, mohos.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.