Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5th Wheel entry steps
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel entry steps

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your first post really seemed to sum up the issue just fine. You can either leave them out and risk having someone run them over, or pull them in and risk someone parking so close you can't put them out again.

Unless you replace them, there just don't seem to be any other choices.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyp4951 wrote:

I have never seen, or heard of anyone staying in their camper with the steps retracted.

Ditto!
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Don't want someone to pull in beside and hit the steps, but also if you put a rope on the steps & lift them up and into the door way, if someone pulls close to you, you can not get the steps down to exit the rig.." I thought those folding "ship ladders" looked great until I thought of all the times they would be really inconvenient... and sometimes we'd be totally screwed with them!
My four-step conventionals ALWAYS work, no matter what situation, and they can also be used as three steps, in tight quarters. Craig

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whiskey River wrote:

What do you do??
My last 5er had the entry steps fold under the rig. So when stopping at a truck stop, rest area, cracker barrel etc. I would just leave the steps folded under the rig & use a step stool to get into the rig, then lift the step stool into the rig. Leaving nothing extended from the rig.
Now my new 5th wheel has the steps that lift up into the door way. Do you leave the steps down, as they do extend away from the 5er. Don't want someone to pull in beside and hit the steps, but also if you put a rope on the steps & lift them up and into the door way, if someone pulls close to you, you can not get the steps down to exit the rig..
Not our favorite style of steps for the same thinking you have. chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/21 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

I have two versions of the Torklift Glowstep on my trailer - a three step version and a 4 step version. I found them to be very easy to use, solid with no bounce, and also good looking. Liked the first ones so much I got a 2nd set for the rear door. Our site slopes a bit so the the 4 step version was just right for it in the front.

They can be deployed no matter how close someone is next to you in a rest stop and everything is outside the trailer so no dirt is brought in when they are retracted.
Barney

[image]

I agree with you completely. I have been in campgrounds where the ground slope rises immediately where the asphalt pad ends and would not allow the solid inside steps to deploy to their normal position. My GlowStep handled this situation perfectly.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just installed a set of Torklift Glowsteps on my 5th wheel. Won't have it out on the road until end of the month and will post a review. Easy install except on my 5'er my old steps were welded in place so had to cut them out. They work perfect at my storage facility where the Lippert or MoreRyde type steps would be too long to fold out without hitting trailer next to mine.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel entry steps
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.