Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5th Wheel entry steps
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel entry steps

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"Besides all that we love them vs the fold outs."

I'm curious why you love them, when it appears they are a bit of a hassle in all but perfect conditions. I can see if a person were a bit unsteady on their feet, that a solid step may be nice, but just for normal usage, what is the advantage?

I did replace our old 3 step fold out steps with 4 step fold out and that was a huge improvement over the old steps. But that was because the steps ended too far from the ground and made that last step a lulu.

They don't just work in all but perfect conditions. In almost a year of ownership there was only one time it was an issue and that's when the guy parked too close to me in storage. I had so many problems with the electric steps on our previous MH's it seemed like they only wanted to work in perfect conditions.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Whiskey River

Pittsburgh, Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, thanks all. At least I am not the only one that do not like these steps. The steps are somewhat sturdier than the fold under type, but that comes from the fact they reach ground, unlike the fold out type. I think the disadvantage far outweigh the advantages.
No one mentioned all the dirt, dust, sand & debris that gets dropped inside the rig when you lift the steps into the doorway. And yes you do have to sometimes adjust the length, shorten or lengthen, the steps to the lot, although this easy enough, just another thing to do.
I knew when I bought the rig I was not going to like them. I just thought I would put a rope on the steps and lift them into the rig, which I did a couple of times. Never thinking if someone pulled to close, I could not get out. One time I pulled into a rest area and tried to put the steps down and there was not enough room and not room for me to move over any more. That's when the "light" went off & I thought if I am inside with the steps up and someone pulls to close, I can' get out....
I now leave the steps out and put an orange cone beside the steps.
I know the nay sayers will say go to an RV park. I do that, except when I snowbird every winter. Not looking for hook ups ect, just a quick & easy 5/6 hours sleep and on the road again.
I've learned to live with these and will not change them out for only a couple times a year, just wondered what everyone else thought or did.
Thanks again......

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two versions of the Torklift Glowstep on my trailer - a three step version and a 4 step version. I found them to be very easy to use, solid with no bounce, and also good looking. Liked the first ones so much I got a 2nd set for the rear door. Our site slopes a bit so the the 4 step version was just right for it in the front.

They can be deployed no matter how close someone is next to you in a rest stop and everything is outside the trailer so no dirt is brought in when they are retracted.
Barney

[image]

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are much nicer than the solid steps and seem to address the shortcomings of the solid steps, but I have trouble wrapping my head around the cost of those puppies. Way out of my price range.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"Besides all that we love them vs the fold outs."

I'm curious why you love them, when it appears they are a bit of a hassle in all but perfect conditions. I can see if a person were a bit unsteady on their feet, that a solid step may be nice, but just for normal usage, what is the advantage?

I did replace our old 3 step fold out steps with 4 step fold out and that was a huge improvement over the old steps. But that was because the steps ended too far from the ground and made that last step a lulu.

Our fold out steps are the ones with the metal side hinges and the aluminum steps. They're spongy and noisy. I've tried lubricating all the hinge points and it only lasts a few trips and they're noisy again.

Drop the solid steps down and they as they say "Solid" and silent. The trailer doesn't shake when walking on them. No squeaks. Those are our advantages over our fold outs.

YMMV

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whiskey River wrote:

OK, thanks all. At least I am not the only one that do not like these steps. The steps are somewhat sturdier than the fold under type, but that comes from the fact they reach ground, unlike the fold out type. I think the disadvantage far outweigh the advantages.
No one mentioned all the dirt, dust, sand & debris that gets dropped inside the rig when you lift the steps into the doorway. And yes you do have to sometimes adjust the length, shorten or lengthen, the steps to the lot, although this easy enough, just another thing to do.
I knew when I bought the rig I was not going to like them. I just thought I would put a rope on the steps and lift them into the rig, which I did a couple of times. Never thinking if someone pulled to close, I could not get out. One time I pulled into a rest area and tried to put the steps down and there was not enough room and not room for me to move over any more. That's when the "light" went off & I thought if I am inside with the steps up and someone pulls to close, I can' get out....
I now leave the steps out and put an orange cone beside the steps.
I know the nay sayers will say go to an RV park. I do that, except when I snowbird every winter. Not looking for hook ups ect, just a quick & easy 5/6 hours sleep and on the road again.
I've learned to live with these and will not change them out for only a couple times a year, just wondered what everyone else thought or did.
Thanks again......

I have the 3 step version. Takes about 90 secs to broom them off. I keep a broom in my outside storage compartment.

If I got another one step only RV and it had the solid steps or noisy steps I'd break the bank and go with the Tork style. Since I have two fold outs it only made sense to go with the cheaper Solid steps.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RV Industry does not make changes for better performance, use or quality. They make changes only when the new design or item is cheaper to buy and install. These one piece fold down steps have to cost less in both materials and labor to manufacture, and labor to install. Notice they do not put windows in entry doors any more on lots of models? Another improvement.

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our problem with solid steps would be that they have to make ground contact. Where we park at home that's not possible.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Whiskey River

Pittsburgh, Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Barney:
Steps look good.
But I assume your rig came with fold down steps underneath from the factory. When you get the single piece steps that lift up into the door, there is no notch framed in under the door. So to put these in would require modifying the body & frame. Way above my pay grade...

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

The RV Industry does not make changes for better performance, use or quality. They make changes only when the new design or item is cheaper to buy and install.

That is my take on it. There is no frame and siding preparation, only a few quick zaps with a screw gun.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel entry steps
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.