Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5th Wheel entry steps
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel entry steps

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Whiskey River

Pittsburgh, Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you do??
My last 5er had the entry steps fold under the rig. So when stopping at a truck stop, rest area, cracker barrel etc. I would just leave the steps folded under the rig & use a step stool to get into the rig, then lift the step stool into the rig. Leaving nothing extended from the rig.
Now my new 5th wheel has the steps that lift up into the door way. Do you leave the steps down, as they do extend away from the 5er. Don't want someone to pull in beside and hit the steps, but also if you put a rope on the steps & lift them up and into the door way, if someone pulls close to you, you can not get the steps down to exit the rig..

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just don't park in a position that this can happen. At rest stops it's usually not an issue. I don't stop at a lot of places like cracker barrel but if I did, seems to me like any place that you would park a FW could offer enough space to park it in a way and far enough away from the majority where it can be avoided. Only time it's ever happened to me is when the knucklehead in my storage area parked his FW too close to mine.

* This post was edited 04/23/21 06:22am by way2roll *

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are really worried, throw a couple orange cones in the doorway and put them off the edge of the trailer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, the new style steps have some definite drawbacks. I've been several places where they wouldn't have worked as well as conventional steps. And they won't work at all when the trailer is in storage due to the closeness of the other units. Those are the reasons I don't care for them, and IMO the advantages, whatever they are, are outweighed by the disadvantage.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Yeah, the new style steps have some definite drawbacks. I've been several places where they wouldn't have worked as well as conventional steps. And they won't work at all when the trailer is in storage due to the closeness of the other units. Those are the reasons I don't care for them, and IMO the advantages, whatever they are, are outweighed by the disadvantage.

Agree. We have the steps that fold up and tuck under the outside of the door under the frame. Yeah, they may not be as wide or deep as the new style, but we can exit and leave them out safely when overnighting.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/21 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Pinnacle came with the MorRyde steps that fold up in to the door, pretty much standard issue any more. We have an rv garage that is only 18 feet wide with an off centered door. I have to park it within 3 1/2 feet or so of the wall on the door side. There was not enough room to lower the MorRyde steps so after researching the issue I ordered the Tork Lift Revolution Uprising steps which scissor but also fold up inside the door. I got the 5 step type which is makes it easier on my worn out knees. They don't require much room to deploy and can be set pretty tight to the fifth wheel if needed. Very stable also.

A little pricey but I got about half my money back by selling the MorRyde steps.

JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand your dilemma. One of the most haves for us was regular folding steps. Sometimes you cannot get your fiver into a position at rest stops that you can safely leave those rigid steps out but since you already have them maybe you can rig them so once you are inside you can pull them up behind you.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think I'd want those as the only steps on a 5er. We have a TT and have 2 sets of steps. I installed the solid steps at the rear door main entry. Left the fold outs at the bedroom door.
We only use the fold outs at pee stops or other stops.

Besides the issue of clearance you may have to adjust them as well because chances are you aren't as level as you were the last time you used them. So that means every time you stop they may or may not work.

Not a deal breaker but just more chit to deal with. Also if you're on uneven ground you can't deploy them until the coach is level.

Besides all that we love them vs the fold outs. If thats what came on the 5er and you/I really liked it then I'd deal with them since you're in and out of the 5er more once setup vs just stopping occasionally while traveling.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Besides all that we love them vs the fold outs."

I'm curious why you love them, when it appears they are a bit of a hassle in all but perfect conditions. I can see if a person were a bit unsteady on their feet, that a solid step may be nice, but just for normal usage, what is the advantage?

I did replace our old 3 step fold out steps with 4 step fold out and that was a huge improvement over the old steps. But that was because the steps ended too far from the ground and made that last step a lulu.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pull in and try to park as close to the left parking line as possible so as to leave room for the steps. Really like the concept of the solid steps but dislike the other problems they pose as already mentioned.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel entry steps
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.