Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hampshire to Yellowstone

Shomemule
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
I have reservations at Grizzly RV Park for June 5th. Google maps showing the most direct route being I-90. I'm hoping for a few suggestions for a few must see stops along I-90 prior to getting to South Dakota. Time is not an issue but I'm thinking of giving the entire trip six weeks or so. Custer State Park, Mt Rushmore, Grand Tetons, Little Big Horn is on my list but I'm in the planning stage for all else.
Also to those of you who have travelled recently would you advise booking my campground stays in advance? I've heard that the campgrounds are very crowded these days especially weekends. We took a trip back in 2010, stayed out 6 months and never made a reservation. It was mostly the deep south and southwest. I guess things have changed? Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
One of the conundrums I have is not being able to stop an extra day here or there if you find an interesting place because the reservations lock you in to being at a certain place on a certain day.

I've always been a "must have a reservation" girl because otherwise I spend more time worrying about getting a spot than enjoying myself. That said if we found a place we really liked we would just plan another trip to that place. If this isn't the only trip you'll ever be taking you can make a list of places you'd like to return to and target future trips around them.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a trip to Texas from Pa. We had reservations going down and back and glad we did. Many campgrounds were full or nearly full even during the week. If you want a little side trip, Harold Warp's Pioneer Museum in Minden, Nebraska is great.If you like history,cars,motorcycles,snow mobiles or tractors, they have it in spades. There is a campground next to the museum. When we went, they had a deal.If you stayed at the campground you got one free ticket to the museum.

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
ACZL wrote:
If taking 90, be prepared for tolls. Can figure out how much NY tolls are by going to the T-ways web site. If possible, try to get a NY E-Z pass ahead of time and see to what states it works in (it's a lot of them). Sadly, some states have E-Z passes just for their systems.

Any state or agency that is a member of the EZ Pass consortium will accept transponders and accounts from any other, and their transponders will likewise be accepted at any member's facilities. That's the whole point of the EZ Pass consortium, in fact. Some do offer discounts or other deals for their own account holders that are not applied to outsiders, but any transponder is accepted and charged at the standard rates.

Some states have other electronic tolling systems that are not part of EZ Pass and are not interoperable.

New York (well, the NY thruway commission, but not the port authority of New York and New Jersey) offers a thruway motorhome plan that can save a significant amount for motorhome drivers on the thruway--basically car rates rather than tall vehicle rates, or around a 50% savings in the standard tolls. It's not necessarily the simplest discount to get as you need to convince them that you actually have a motorhome to use it with.

According to EZ Pass' website, EZ Pass is accepted in Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Jersey - Delaware, New York, New York City Area, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia and West Virginia.

It does not say that it is accepted in Florida or Georgia. Uni Pass lists both Florida and Georgia as well as "Works anywhere E-PASS or E-ZPass is accepted."

I am thinking of changing from EZ Pass to Uni Pass because it can be used in Florida.
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Shomemule wrote:
Thanks to all who replied. I'm definitely going to take a few of the suggestions especially dropping by Niagara Falls. One of the conundrums I have is not being able to stop an extra day here or there if you find an interesting place because the reservations lock you in to being at a certain place on a certain day. I'm thinking of only making reservations in the busiest places like Custer S.P. Yellowstone, Niagara Falls etc and taking my chances that I'll find a spot to camp otherwise along my route. I'd like to get your thoughts on that. When we headed out in 2010 we never planned more than 2 days out and never had a problem. We traveled through most of the Eastto Tennessee then the South and Southwest.

We stayed at The Branches of Niagara CG a couple years ago. Nice place, nice pool, far 'nuff off the interstate, yet still close to it (no noise unlike the KOA). Not too far from the falls. While in the area, there is in Buffalo,a WWII ship & sub along their pier/waterfront as well as home of the chicken wings (ongoing battle between Duff's and Anchor Bar). We ate at the AB and wasn't impressed w/ it. IF by chance the border is open, I'd suggest the CA side to view the falls and if possible arrange to have dinner atop the Skylon tower (if open).
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Shomemule
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who replied. I'm definitely going to take a few of the suggestions especially dropping by Niagara Falls. One of the conundrums I have is not being able to stop an extra day here or there if you find an interesting place because the reservations lock you in to being at a certain place on a certain day. I'm thinking of only making reservations in the busiest places like Custer S.P. Yellowstone, Niagara Falls etc and taking my chances that I'll find a spot to camp otherwise along my route. I'd like to get your thoughts on that. When we headed out in 2010 we never planned more than 2 days out and never had a problem. We traveled through most of the Eastto Tennessee then the South and Southwest.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
If taking 90, be prepared for tolls. Can figure out how much NY tolls are by going to the T-ways web site. If possible, try to get a NY E-Z pass ahead of time and see to what states it works in (it's a lot of them). Sadly, some states have E-Z passes just for their systems.

Any state or agency that is a member of the EZ Pass consortium will accept transponders and accounts from any other, and their transponders will likewise be accepted at any member's facilities. That's the whole point of the EZ Pass consortium, in fact. Some do offer discounts or other deals for their own account holders that are not applied to outsiders, but any transponder is accepted and charged at the standard rates.

Some states have other electronic tolling systems that are not part of EZ Pass and are not interoperable.

New York (well, the NY thruway commission, but not the port authority of New York and New Jersey) offers a thruway motorhome plan that can save a significant amount for motorhome drivers on the thruway--basically car rates rather than tall vehicle rates, or around a 50% savings in the standard tolls. It's not necessarily the simplest discount to get as you need to convince them that you actually have a motorhome to use it with.

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
NY tolls are by license plate if you don't have EZ Pass.

I am thinking of replacing my EZ Pass with Amazon's Uni Pass. Has anyone used this?

Sorry about the off topic above!

If you take I-90, you will only be about 25 miles from Niagara Falls. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the USA / Canada border will be open in June, so you will only be able to see the American side.
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
meleekamp and DrewE offered up some great suggestions. May I add the Ford Museum in Detroit as well. Never been there but heard it's a great place to see. If taking 90, be prepared for tolls. Can figure out how much NY tolls are by going to the T-ways web site. If possible, try to get a NY E-Z pass ahead of time and see to what states it works in (it's a lot of them). Sadly, some states have E-Z passes just for their systems.

On a side note, order a Pocket Truck Stop guide for fuel stops along the routes you wish to take. Lot of info contained in a little book and HELPFUL!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Second Badlands and Teddy Roosevelt NP.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your interests:

• Corning Glass Museum (requires taking I-88 and I-86 rather than the thruway across New York, which is not enormously different in length and less expensive in tolls)
  • Niagara Falls (which isn't on I-88 and I-86)
  • Cedar Point (Sandusky, OH) if you like roller coasters
  • All sorts of things to see and do in Chicago, but I'm not aware of any great options for camping whilst sightseeing there. The art institute, Field museum, museum of science and industry, ....

Maybe think about taking the northern route (I-94) in one direction; Theodore Roosevelt NP is one stop there that's worth seeing.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add the Spam Museum in Austin, MN. I found it fun and interesting even though I don't like Spam.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestions stem from places I've been, but you may or may not be interested in. We are heading to the Black Hills in SD this summer, with another week in the Bighorn Mtns. Not our first trip but always so much to see/do. Here are some ideas:

-- Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Museum in Cleveland (depends on your interest)
-- Wisconsin Dells (the route you mention takes you on outskirts). Touristy for sure, but can be fun to visit shops, golf, mini-golf, restaruants, etc.
-- On I-90 at Worthington, MN, North of there is Walnut Grove, home of the Ingalls family from Little House on the Prairie fame. Small museum and house tour.
-- Mitchel SD, famous corn palace. I've driven by and it's something to look at but never been in.
-- 1880 Town on I-90 in SD. Can't miss it -- signs leading up to it both directions. If you liked 'dances with wolves' starring Kevin Costner, they have many pieces from that film. Besides that, these are all historical buildings from the old west put in a unique town. My kids loved it, and wife and I still stop every time....so much to see in the town.
-- Wall Drug -- laugh if you must, but we love the 5 cent coffee (really), the fresh donuts, and the lunch plate specials. Junk shop for sure....but still fun to roam around and rest.
-- Badlands National Park in Wall SD: worth the drive thru and visit. Something to see
-- Minute Men National Missle Historic Site (near wall on the eastern side): visit a real nuke silo and museum. Something to see!
-- Devil's Tower National Monument: there is a KOA right next door -- something to really see -- hike around the volcano
-- Bighorn National Forest: beautiful. Most campsites have no hookups but there are FU sites in towns on the eastern side of the mtns.
-- Cody, WY: visit the buffalo bill museum of the west. Visit the IRMA hotel, built by buffalo bill. Many other shops and things to see here
-- Old Trail Town just west of Cody: more historical buildings and cabins. Visit Hole in Wall saloon, famous for butch cassidy & sundance kid visiting (not the actors-- the real deal!)

--

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely book reservations for this year, especially since so many people have taken up RVing.

I90 is the most direct route but it does take you through major cities. I've done it multiple times. Others may have suggestions to circumvent them but if you stay on 90 make sure you say in 90 express and not 90 local through Chicago. I've done that trip in three weeks (including Yellowstone but not Little Big Horn) so 6 weeks should be fine. Did straight shots out and back so not much advice on what to stop at. While you are in SD I'd go to Keystone. Very touristy and kitschy but fun. Bear Country USA is also very enjoyable. Treat yourself to elk medallions at Jackson Lake Lodge's restaurant in Grand Teton. Enjoy!

Douglas Adams