cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tilting bike rack, hitch mounted: update, see 4/23 pm post

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
About 15 years ago, I bought a tilt-down bike rack that mounts on the drawbar between my truck and my trailer. I can load the bikes on the rack and hitch up the trailer. Not only that, but I can tilt the rack down to gain access to the cargo bed of the truck, while the trailer is still attached.

Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever. The components of my old rack are worn out. And the manufacturer is out of business.

I am having a heck of a time finding a replacement! I don't want a swing-away rack, since the trailer would have to be unhitched for the rack to work. I don't want to put the bikes on the back of the trailer -- the frame of the trailer is not designed for a receiver, and (most significantly) I want to be able to take the bikes on the truck when we leave the trailer.

If there were a roof mounted rack that would magically lift the heavy mountain bikes up onto the roof, that would be acceptable. But I can't find anything like that.

Your collective wisdom is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
11 REPLIES 11

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
UPDATE: Campfire Time suggested fabricating a replacement for the worn part. The problem involved a particular part, sort of a cam latch, that just would no longer engage into its slot, and so the bike rack would no longer lock in the upright position.

Pursuing Campfire's idea, I put the bike rack up onto a big work table under a bright light to see exactly which portion of the latch was causing the problem and how a replacement could be fabricated. I was all set to take some measurements for the welding shop.

As I was examining the latch mechanism, I noticed a thin sliver of steel -- almost too small to see -- that had wedged itself into the pivot point of the cam latch. Hmmmm. Maybe that sliver was part of the problem??

There was no way to reach the sliver with tools to cut it or file it -- not even a needle-nose pliers could get at it. But there was a thin hole or slot above the sliver. So I took an old sanding belt and cut off a long strip, about a quarter inch wide, and fed it through the slot. Holding both ends of the strip of sanding belt, I worked it back and forth, the same way you'd polish shoes with a strip of cloth (back in the days when we wore shiny leather shoes -- remember?).

After about fifteen minutes of "sanding," the sliver was worn away. The latch mechanism was freed up. Problem solved (at least for now). There will come a time, fairly soon, that I have to replace the whole bike rack, but not yet.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
campfire, that is a possibility -- but I do not have any welding equipment (and don't know how to weld). I could take the rack to my local welder (I know a good one!) and get an estimate, but I think the repairs would cost more than the price of a new rack. Worth thinking about, though.
About our trailer

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dual hitch receiver? Used one of these for years with the MH towing a car. Mount the bike rack on the upper receiver.

link
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Is there no possibility of fabricating the worn parts?
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
After looking into it, I find that lots of truck camper folks have front racks. I will have to rethink this project . . . .
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
camp-n-family, that is a very interesting idea. I will have to take some measurements to see if that works for us. The "drop down" that goes over the drawbar would have to be larger than 2 inches, since the drawbar itself is 2 inches.

And wguss, that idea occurred to me, but notice that there are very, very few vehicles on the road with front bike racks. There must be a reason -- maybe the bikes interfere with visibility?? But I will look into that, too!
About our trailer

wguss
Explorer
Explorer
Add a receiver to the front of your truck?

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Get any drop down rack that suits your needs, remove the draw bar portion and bring it to a welding shop. Have them weld a 2โ€ square tube to the bottom that will slide over your trailer hitch draw bar. You may need a longer draw bar though.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mickey, I have considered that option, but the problem is that I want to leave the trailer and take the bikes to the trailhead with the truck. If I mounted the bikes on the trailer, I would then have to remove the bikes, remove the bike rack, install the bike rack on the truck, and then put the bikes on the truck.

That would be such a hassle that we would not even bring the bikes.

With my current rack, the bikes are already on the back of the truck while I am towing the trailer. We then get to a campsite, unhitch the trailer, and drive off with the bikes.
About our trailer

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I know there are 2" receiver systems that mount onto the A-frame of the trailer (Swagman?) - and then you can use any drawbar style hitch in both that receiver and the truck. Components can get pricey, and I imagine you'd need to choose the right components to manage clearances, but it's out there.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Look at this from eTrailer.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S63360.html
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad