cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just an FYI about Dish

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I recently fired DTV and went with dish, I had Dish installed in a stick and brick and added Dish Outdoors for the RV.

I was surprised when I went to change to locals in the RV, after reading and research I thought that the locals could be changed at will in the RV. But you can only have locals in one location either the RV or the home address. The Pay as You Go Plan is where one can change locals.

Just an FYI

JimR
14 REPLIES 14

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
hpdrver wrote:
We have a hopper 3 and 3 joeys in the house and a Wally in the Rv. We are only charged $5 extra to our home account for the Wally and leave it active all the time since our Rv is parked next to our house. The Dish installer stated that the Wally receiver will not work with a hopper 3 dish antenna.

To keep the Wally active it uses our Rv dish Winegard T4 to receive signal.

Thank you....that answered my question to a T. What your doing is precisely what I had in mind since I park the MH in my driveway, the Wally would always be on and hooked to the Dome. Thanks again!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Mel_Stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
We have Dish for my RV.. we change our locals on the APP whenever we go somewhere... I like to watch the local news to see what's happening near me, not at home ( where I am not )

True, but the OP wants locals where he is located, AND, wants locals at home at the same timethe OP wants locals where he is located, AND, wants locals at home at the same time time for someone who is not traveling with him.

In that case 2 separate DISH accounts seems appropriate /fair

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can really see why they do this , right? You have full service and locals at home and a friend or relative in another town buys a wally system and has a complete set up for 5 bucks that he or she pays you ea month. The reason is to cut out โ€œsharingโ€ single account. This was and still is a problem for them as they have no idea where or who is using any additional tuners. This is also why they like to โ€œinstallโ€ with there contractors.
I had a home account and a wally in the rv on a contract and had no issues changing locals by calling or text messaging. They donโ€™t care as long as he entire account is changed. All tuners on the account must receive the same programming. Have the daughter pay for your second rv account ... Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s less than the hopper etc charges on the home account itโ€™ll give her a break on the fees. When my daughter lived in our house until we decided to sell it .. the โ€œextras โ€œ were on her! ??
Bill

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Bobbo wrote:
It is true that if you want locals at two separate locations at the same time, you need two separate subscriptions. This is not new.

You are correct I missed that when I was looking at Dish, if you look at the Dish Outdoors web site it states that you can get locals in nice big print but then there is the mice type at the bottom.

JimR

Community Alumni
Not applicable
BB_TX wrote:
JimR 1 wrote:
I was surprised when I went to change to locals in the RV, after reading and research I thought that the locals could be changed at will in the RV. But you can only have locals in one location either the RV or the home address. The Pay as You Go Plan is where one can change locals.....

Found that out when our daughter moved back in with us. Changed our locals to our new RV location and daughter lost locals at home. Had no way of knowing before, and didnโ€™t matter anyway as no one as there. Changed the RV to separate pay as you go plan so I can change RV locals and still keep her happy at home.

Yep this is pretty close to my situation too.

JimR

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
We have Dish for my RV.. we change our locals on the APP whenever we go somewhere... I like to watch the local news to see what's happening near me, not at home ( where I am not )

True, but the OP wants locals where he is located, AND, wants locals at home at the same time for someone who is not traveling with him.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is true that if you want locals at two separate locations at the same time, you need two separate subscriptions. This is not new.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
We have a hopper 3 and 3 joeys in the house and a Wally in the Rv. We are only charged $5 extra to our home account for the Wally and leave it active all the time since our Rv is parked next to our house. The Dish installer stated that the Wally receiver will not work with a hopper 3 dish antenna.

To keep the Wally active it uses our Rv dish Winegard T4 to receive signal.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I've been with Direct forever but thinking of late to switch to Dish. If I did, we would need a home set up with DVR as I do now with Direct.

My question, I already have a Dish Playmate Dome, am I right in thinking I can add a Wally to my home account for an additional 5 bucks a month and move the Wally from house to RV? Without getting a separate RV pay as you go account? I would want my main Home receiver/dvr and my Wally to be active together. My current Direct in RV has never had a local channel option so that is not a concern!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We have Dish receivers in our full-time RV and our family cottage in upstate NY. Both receivers are on our Dish "Outdoors" pay-as-you-go account and we change locals frequently using the MyDish app on my phone. Any time we change locals to an area that's outside of the spot beam covering the cottage, the cottage receiver loses the locals. The cottage gets the locals OTA though, so it's not an issue.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
JimR 1 wrote:
I was surprised when I went to change to locals in the RV, after reading and research I thought that the locals could be changed at will in the RV. But you can only have locals in one location either the RV or the home address. The Pay as You Go Plan is where one can change locals.....

Found that out when our daughter moved back in with us. Changed our locals to our new RV location and daughter lost locals at home. Had no way of knowing before, and didnโ€™t matter anyway as no one as there. Changed the RV to separate pay as you go plan so I can change RV locals and still keep her happy at home.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
TY for reminding us of the options.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I have the pay as you go plan and I can change locals on the app. When I'm home I was just bringing the receivers. I set up the house dish myself.

I recently got rid of dish also and have just the FMCA unlimited data and stream all my TV. It has worked great from Florida to Texas and now up to Massachusetts.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie