cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FR 688 at South Rim

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping at the south rim, as you come up Hwy 64 from Williams, you will pass US 180 on the right and continue on until you are 3 or 4 miles from Tusayan AZ, that is a couple of miles from the park entrance. Start watching for the Forest Road sign you won'y set much warning, you will see a FR206 (I think) sign pointing left and then quickly a FR688 sign pointing right. That is the one you want.

Watch the turn because there is a drop off from the Hwy to the FR road. FR688 is in good condition, some washboarding, few potholes. You can camp anywhere after you cross the cattle guard, there are sites and roads turning off left and right to camps. We went down a mile and turned off to the right. Found two other Arctic Fox RVs around a large clearing with pine forest around the edges.

As you go down 64 you will pas many Forest Roads and so far as I know they all have dispersed camping. We originally look at Garland ranch rd but that is 40 miles +/_ from the park entrance.

The weather has been a bit iffy the last three days, 45 mph winds yesterday, rain and snow (at the Lipan Pt) today. We have had zero problems getting in the park gate or finding parking. Our altitude adaptation is slowly catching up, we thought a month at 4000 feet would give us a jump start but not so far here at 7000-8000 ft.

I highly recommend the drive (25 miles) down HWY 64 to the east gate the overlooks and points give fantastic views, and you can clearly see the river below at Moran and Lipan points. It was snowing too hard for us to get out at Navajo or Desert View. We'll probably be here until Sunday or Monday depending on the tanks. One hint you can find dumpsters at every stop on the Hwy 64 east road for trash.

Very dark skies at night here. Our goal is to do the Ooh Yah hike down but will have to see how adapted we are. Forest cast for more wind on the weekend and rain next Mon/Tue. Second hint diesel almost $4/gal in Willians and $3.50 at Tusayan. $3.10 in Flagstaff

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
3 REPLIES 3

Darklock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I put a mark on my map.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Headed that way next week. TY for the tips.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the great info agesilous. In October we will be in a group of 3 or 4 rigs going to Utah, and ending up at the Grand Canyon. Non of the others have boondocked and want to experience it, so I'm on the lookout for a couple nice locations.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights