Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendation on 2nd AC

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

A TT we are considering comes Prewired for a 2nd AC. The main unit is 15k. The 2nd unit will go in the bedroom.

We are looking for something quiet with its own controls and thermostat.

Any recommendations?

Thank you

MC
15 REPLIES 15

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
The OP didn't ask whether or not to have a second AC. He asked for a recommendation for "something quiet with its own controls and thermostat".

Lol.... Can you go over to the tow vehicle forum and remind people of that courtesy when someone asks "can I tow this with a F-150 gasser", and they get 20+ responses saying "go buy a F-350 diesel" or "Your insurance won't pay for a wreck"?
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
30amp, you probably want to install an Microaire EZ Start unit on the AC. It works wonderfully well!

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
kfp673 wrote:
Curious about your "heat the TV statement". What do you mean by that. First I have heard of that. Thanks!

Guessing that is a typo and he meant HEAR the tv.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
We discovered that our TT only comes with a 30amp service.

The second AC will most likely be used at night when we sleep if needed.

I do have a related question. If I have 30 amp TT with a 15k AC, can I run a 15K AC in low and a 13.5K AC at the same time? I am assuming both at high together won't work.

One solution I heard was to run a plug to the storage bay from the second AC and use a 20 amp circuit at the campsite. This is a last resort but probably doable with patience.

Please note that we camp in AZ a lot. I tried to avoid hot days but when you go boating and want to camp, the heat here in unavoidable.

MC

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
The OP didn't ask whether or not to have a second AC. He asked for a recommendation for "something quiet with its own controls and thermostat".

Yes, but sometimes the best answer to a question is "don't do it" or at least "are you sure you really want to do it?". It's valuable to hear alternate opinions about questions. Even if the OP is 100% certain that he needs it, someone else reading this may be on the fence about it.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
pennysmom09 wrote:
The only time we use our second AC is to initially cool down the 5w after set up. The other use is to run the bedroom AC instead of the lower one in the evening so we can heat the tv. So, convenient, but not necessary

Curious about your "heat the TV statement". What do you mean by that. First I have heard of that. Thanks!

Typical LCD displays have problems operating in cold temperatures (below 30 - 40F is where you can start to see problems, though you probably wouldn't use an air conditioner to heat it -- even if it's a heat-pump/AC, those usually aren't very effective below 30-40F either.

Though judging by the context, pennysmom09 most likely meant "heaR", not "heaT". Our only AC is near the TV, and with the AC on, the TV is pretty much unusable.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Airxcel Mach 8 Plus Cub.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I added a 13.5K AC to the bedroom in our 34' 5er. Even in very hot weather we only use it to help cool the trailer after a long day driving in hot weather. Once cooled off, the rear 15k AC keeps it cool. So no need to run the noisier bedroom AC at night.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
We've always had 1 AC unit. But in our class C, last summer, we experienced extreme heat and I looked deep into a 2nd unit. Controls on the unit, and I'd add a male plug to a storage bin, so that I can plug it in at a campsite in the 20A outlet.

Our issue was keeping back bedroom cool -- it would hit 78 to 81 deg in dead of summer. And rest of unit was only 77to 79. Add to that 4 of us plus 2 dogs...so lots of heat.

HOWEVER, I ended up trying a $9 camco roof vent cover. Yes, we have the external vent covers, but this is soft with reflective material on one side. Fits in the vent on the inside...and wow...it made a huge difference. We have 2 vents and a skylight...so lots of heat loss/heat gain (depending on season). Sure, another AC unit would be even better...but for now, I saved on the cost and pain of install with 3 covers at $9 to $11 each.

Note I looked heavily at eTrailer for the AC unit -- better cost, all the parts you need, and tech help.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm partial to Coleman. Either a Mach 1 11Kbtu or Mach 3 13.5K non ducted would work. The Dometic we have now sounds like we are standing in a wind tunnel.

Our previous 35' Outback TT had an 11K in the bedroom and it worked well for us. We set the fan to be always on so the fan cycling didn't wake us up.

Is your TT 30A or 50A service? If it's 30A, you can run only one at a time unless you wire it to be able to use an additional pedestal outlet. We could run only one or the other in ours.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

I'm not sure I would want a TT with only 1 AC ?? I have have plenty of RV's in my time, all different sizes..

We went from 1 AC.. to wishing we had 2.. then we had 2 and loved it.... now with 3, it's awesome.... never again will I have only 1... Just the convenience of being able to run one or the other ..OR BOTH ( if the RV is wired properly).. as far as the size, depending on the difference, I would drop a 15k in, BUT a 13.5 would be just fine as a second unit.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
pennysmom09 wrote:
The only time we use our second AC is to initially cool down the 5w after set up. The other use is to run the bedroom AC instead of the lower one in the evening so we can heat the tv. So, convenient, but not necessary

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW