Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Recommendation on 2nd AC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Recommendation on 2nd AC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/21 11:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

A TT we are considering comes Prewired for a 2nd AC. The main unit is 15k. The 2nd unit will go in the bedroom.

We are looking for something quiet with its own controls and thermostat.

Any recommendations?

Thank you

MC

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 12:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the second units I've seen have their own controls and thermostat on bottom face of the unit. A pre-wire typically only includes the 110V wiring, unless you're in one of the super high-end units that are made for full-timing.

To install a wall mounted controller/thermostat, you'd need to pull wiring for it. Not a problem in most coaches to pull an interior wall panel to run wiring, but it's not for the faint at heart. We've got one separating the bedroom from the bath, and it's been removed a couple times to run wiring from the attic to the basement... YMMV.

All that said, we're on our third RV and never have seen a need for a second unit when the main is a 15K. And we did a lot of camping in AZ/UT...

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time we use our second AC is to initially cool down the 5w after set up. The other use is to run the bedroom AC instead of the lower one in the evening so we can heat the tv. So, convenient, but not necessary

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pennysmom09 wrote:

The only time we use our second AC is to initially cool down the 5w after set up. The other use is to run the bedroom AC instead of the lower one in the evening so we can heat the tv. So, convenient, but not necessary

Curious about your "heat the TV statement". What do you mean by that. First I have heard of that. Thanks!

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure I would want a TT with only 1 AC ?? I have have plenty of RV's in my time, all different sizes..

We went from 1 AC.. to wishing we had 2.. then we had 2 and loved it.... now with 3, it's awesome.... never again will I have only 1... Just the convenience of being able to run one or the other ..OR BOTH ( if the RV is wired properly).. as far as the size, depending on the difference, I would drop a 15k in, BUT a 13.5 would be just fine as a second unit.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm partial to Coleman. Either a Mach 1 11Kbtu or Mach 3 13.5K non ducted would work. The Dometic we have now sounds like we are standing in a wind tunnel.

Our previous 35' Outback TT had an 11K in the bedroom and it worked well for us. We set the fan to be always on so the fan cycling didn't wake us up.

Is your TT 30A or 50A service? If it's 30A, you can run only one at a time unless you wire it to be able to use an additional pedestal outlet. We could run only one or the other in ours.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've always had 1 AC unit. But in our class C, last summer, we experienced extreme heat and I looked deep into a 2nd unit. Controls on the unit, and I'd add a male plug to a storage bin, so that I can plug it in at a campsite in the 20A outlet.

Our issue was keeping back bedroom cool -- it would hit 78 to 81 deg in dead of summer. And rest of unit was only 77to 79. Add to that 4 of us plus 2 dogs...so lots of heat.

HOWEVER, I ended up trying a $9 camco roof vent cover. Yes, we have the external vent covers, but this is soft with reflective material on one side. Fits in the vent on the inside...and wow...it made a huge difference. We have 2 vents and a skylight...so lots of heat loss/heat gain (depending on season). Sure, another AC unit would be even better...but for now, I saved on the cost and pain of install with 3 covers at $9 to $11 each.

Note I looked heavily at eTrailer for the AC unit -- better cost, all the parts you need, and tech help.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added a 13.5K AC to the bedroom in our 34' 5er. Even in very hot weather we only use it to help cool the trailer after a long day driving in hot weather. Once cooled off, the rear 15k AC keeps it cool. So no need to run the noisier bedroom AC at night.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP didn't ask whether or not to have a second AC. He asked for a recommendation for "something quiet with its own controls and thermostat".

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the Airxcel Mach 8 Plus Cub.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Recommendation on 2nd AC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.