Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Recommendation on 2nd AC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Recommendation on 2nd AC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

pennysmom09 wrote:

The only time we use our second AC is to initially cool down the 5w after set up. The other use is to run the bedroom AC instead of the lower one in the evening so we can heat the tv. So, convenient, but not necessary

Curious about your "heat the TV statement". What do you mean by that. First I have heard of that. Thanks!

Typical LCD displays have problems operating in cold temperatures (below 30 - 40F is where you can start to see problems, though you probably wouldn't use an air conditioner to heat it -- even if it's a heat-pump/AC, those usually aren't very effective below 30-40F either.

Though judging by the context, pennysmom09 most likely meant "heaR", not "heaT". Our only AC is near the TV, and with the AC on, the TV is pretty much unusable.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

The OP didn't ask whether or not to have a second AC. He asked for a recommendation for "something quiet with its own controls and thermostat".

Yes, but sometimes the best answer to a question is "don't do it" or at least "are you sure you really want to do it?". It's valuable to hear alternate opinions about questions. Even if the OP is 100% certain that he needs it, someone else reading this may be on the fence about it.

speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We discovered that our TT only comes with a 30amp service.

The second AC will most likely be used at night when we sleep if needed.

I do have a related question. If I have 30 amp TT with a 15k AC, can I run a 15K AC in low and a 13.5K AC at the same time? I am assuming both at high together won't work.

One solution I heard was to run a plug to the storage bay from the second AC and use a 20 amp circuit at the campsite. This is a last resort but probably doable with patience.

Please note that we camp in AZ a lot. I tried to avoid hot days but when you go boating and want to camp, the heat here in unavoidable.

MC

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

Curious about your "heat the TV statement". What do you mean by that. First I have heard of that. Thanks!

Guessing that is a typo and he meant HEAR the tv.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

30amp, you probably want to install an Microaire EZ Start unit on the AC. It works wonderfully well!

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

The OP didn't ask whether or not to have a second AC. He asked for a recommendation for "something quiet with its own controls and thermostat".

Lol.... Can you go over to the tow vehicle forum and remind people of that courtesy when someone asks "can I tow this with a F-150 gasser", and they get 20+ responses saying "go buy a F-350 diesel" or "Your insurance won't pay for a wreck"?

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Recommendation on 2nd AC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.