cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning trim

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
All of the small plastic fittings on my Kodiak have turned black from pollutions or whatever. I've scrubbed them with a toothbrush and Comet with bleach and that has lightened them somewhat but not brought them back to white. Any suggestions, besides replacing every darned one of them?
BabaMartha
5 REPLIES 5

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
The black you see is likely mold. Sometime straight Awesome will work if it is not too bad. If straight Awesome does not work Acetone will. It is a solvent and will remove some of the outer layer of plastic also, maybe .005 or an inch or so. Works well to remove yellow from plastic parts also. You don't need much to remove the mold you don't want to saturate the rag just enough to wipe of the mold.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m in the repaint camp to too two.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
babamartha wrote:
All of the small plastic fittings on my Kodiak have turned black from pollutions or whatever. I've scrubbed them with a toothbrush and Comet with bleach and that has lightened them somewhat but not brought them back to white. Any suggestions, besides replacing every darned one of them?

I used Totally Awesome from the Dollar Store, on my Roo. IMHO, it's road grime that discolored the white plastic parts.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds to me like the sun as ate up the finish on the plastic parts.Remove, sand and paint

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Either replace or paint with Krylon Fusion (amazing stuff).