Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Opinion on knock-off batteries for laptop...?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Opinion on knock-off batteries for laptop...?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

curt12914 wrote:

My (inexpensive) HP laptop does not have an external battery.

Dell "2 in 1" laptop/tablet with foldable keyboard does not have an external battery either, you have to remove the entire bottom to access HD, memory, battery on many laptops. Upgrade my DDs Dell with a SSD drive, also had to replace the processor fan that got noisy on her laptop.

Search for a YouTube video using the model number of your laptop, chances are someone has already made a video of your model showing exactly how to open it up.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

A side note: Different equipment, but in my Canon Cameras, the CANON OEM batteries of the same size last much longer per charge, and much longer battery life. Yup, higher cost too.

I'm sure some manufacturers do a good job, and some don't. Finding which is which becomes a chore in itself. I buy OEM when I can ... and find it cost effective and dependability effective in the long run.

I have bought generic batteries for my Canon cameras and they work to the same standards as the oem batteries. The catch is that you need to watch the mAh of the individual batteries. Not all generics have the same rating as the oem batteries.

Correct ToedToes, that's why I always checked the specs first. Some mfg meet specs, some don't. But even some that claim 'same specs', often do not perform as well. I can't afford failure in the field when working, so just buy OEM and not worry. Saving a few bucks on a battery isn't worth worrying about the Mfg miles from civilization. I go thru three or four on some assignments. If I worked closer in town, it might be an option. [emoticon]

I've always got 6-7 batteries charged and ready to go in my pack, so I've never worried. I've gone through several during an outing, but never had a battery "fail".

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an IT guy by profession, I can say OEM brands do fail once in a while, but not often. Aftermarket are a crapshoot. I purchased 2 identical batteries for an Acer laptop, one of which failed within months. I've gotten varied performance from cheap aftermarket batteries for all my electronic needs.

If it's important to me, I buy name brand, and then as mentioned above, I'll likely buy two.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

deadticket8

All over

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought two at batteriesplus.com They had good reviews and I was happy.I have a solid state laptop. Going to have to google how to replace this battery one day!

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here,
Got the new one in.. its the knock-off and is coming up to full capacity.
It is identical except for the Dell logo.

We'll see how long term it goes.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Opinion on knock-off batteries for laptop...?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.