cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

El Paso, TX

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a RV spot in or near El Paso. Have found KOA NW of there about 25 miles away. Got a 45' coach so state parks are out.
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT
2007 Honda CR-V as a toad
Vietnam Vets. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes you may get compensation.
21 REPLIES 21

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
Well thanks for all the replies. Been trying to tell my wife we don't want to go there. Now she sees why.

thanks again
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT
Vietnam Vets. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes you may get compensation.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I'd rather avoid the I-10 from El Paso to Fort Stockton drive.

So we usually cross that part of the country on US-70 from Las Cruces and Roswell into Texas.

But we do at times like last September. Now, I cheat. Being retired Navy, I stopped at the Fort Bliss RV Park. And left I-10 at Van Horn for the much friendlier drive on US-90.

In El Paso, the TX Franklin Mountains SP is not someplace you want to try to take an RV, and while Hueco Tanks SP east of El Paso is interesting, probably not a good base to explore El Paso.

One the NM side of town, I'd recommend Las Cruces. There is a park that looks decent about halfway between Las Cruces and El Paso but along that stretch of I-10 are a bunch of dairies. If the wind and weather is not exactly right - the smell and the irritating things in the air will clean out your sinuses, and maybe take the paint off your rig.

I like NM state parks. Wish they had not forced me to pay a bit over a hundred in cancellation fees last summer and fall when the state parks were closed, and then only opened to NM state residents. They cancelled 12 reservations, and while the camping fees were refunded, the reservation fees were not.

NM reopened state parks to out-of-state visitors on Feb 27 for camping.

Alamogordo is too far to commute back and forth in my opinion, with Las Cruces as an alternative.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend staying in Las Cruces and doing a day trip or two to ElPaso.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Probably because 80% of residents have a license to carry! ๐Ÿ˜„

LowRyter wrote:
bucky wrote:
IDman wrote:
El Paso is not in NM, but is in Texas.

The NM state line is also the northern line of El Paso. You can get shot in either one, take your pick.

Is El Paso a safe city?
Safewise ranked El Paso #6 in the Top 10 Safest Metro Cities for 2019 with populations over 300,000 and as 7th in 2018.Jun 12, 2020

https://www.google.com/search?q=el+paso+crime+stats&oq=el+paso+crime+stats&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l4.5527j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
IDman wrote:
El Paso is not in NM, but is in Texas.

The NM state line is also the northern line of El Paso. You can get shot in either one, take your pick.

Is El Paso a safe city?
Safewise ranked El Paso #6 in the Top 10 Safest Metro Cities for 2019 with populations over 300,000 and as 7th in 2018.Jun 12, 2020

https://www.google.com/search?q=el+paso+crime+stats&oq=el+paso+crime+stats&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l4.5527j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
paulcardoza wrote:
AGREED! I would put El Paso at the very bottom of my places to visit list. Carlsbad Caverns is ~~2 hours east of there. That's as close as I would go to El Paso!

DougE wrote:
I worked in El Paso for about 2 years. Don't quite know what you can find to do for 3 days. Military town due to Fort Bliss. Juarez across the border is too dangerous. In southeastern New Mexico you can do Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe National Park.

Yeah, if you include sites within a 2-3hr drive, sure, Carlsbad, White Sands, Las Cruces, Guadalupe Mountains, Etc...

But if that's the case, no need to stay in El Paso.

Without some idea of what the plan is, it's a complete shot in the dark as to what is appropriate. Maybe the OP could ask the wife what she wants to see.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If an hour away is close enough, your rig would fit most of the sites at Pancho Villa State Park in NM.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
AGREED! I would put El Paso at the very bottom of my places to visit list. Carlsbad Caverns is ~~2 hours east of there. That's as close as I would go to El Paso!

DougE wrote:
I worked in El Paso for about 2 years. Don't quite know what you can find to do for 3 days. Military town due to Fort Bliss. Juarez across the border is too dangerous. In southeastern New Mexico you can do Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe National Park.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look again

El Paso at NM border
Puma 30RKSS

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Currently Between RVs

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
dave from mesa wrote:
Sorry about he mistake. El Paso, TX. Stupid mistake. Still looking for a nicer place to stay for about 4-5 days. Wife for some reason wants to stay there.
Fixed it.

What are you planning to do there? That might lead to better suggestions.

We stopped for an overnight a few months back (gaslight square park). It was fine (save, comfortable easy in/out) but nothing to write home about.

Have no clue. Wife keeps wanting to stay there. My job is to find a place, her's to find what to do.
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Mission in El Paso is overrated, recommend Hacienda RV & Rally Resort in Los Cruces lots of big rig sites, we have stayed there often including a week last February - our neighbor was a 45ft Prevost
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
dave from mesa wrote:
Sorry about he mistake. El Paso, TX. Stupid mistake. Still looking for a nicer place to stay for about 4-5 days. Wife for some reason wants to stay there.
Fixed it.

What are you planning to do there? That might lead to better suggestions.

We stopped for an overnight a few months back (gaslight square park). It was fine (save, comfortable easy in/out) but nothing to write home about.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
Fixed it.
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT