Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: El Paso, TX
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I'd rather avoid the I-10 from El Paso to Fort Stockton drive.

So we usually cross that part of the country on US-70 from Las Cruces and Roswell into Texas.

But we do at times like last September. Now, I cheat. Being retired Navy, I stopped at the Fort Bliss RV Park. And left I-10 at Van Horn for the much friendlier drive on US-90.

In El Paso, the TX Franklin Mountains SP is not someplace you want to try to take an RV, and while Hueco Tanks SP east of El Paso is interesting, probably not a good base to explore El Paso.

One the NM side of town, I'd recommend Las Cruces. There is a park that looks decent about halfway between Las Cruces and El Paso but along that stretch of I-10 are a bunch of dairies. If the wind and weather is not exactly right - the smell and the irritating things in the air will clean out your sinuses, and maybe take the paint off your rig.

I like NM state parks. Wish they had not forced me to pay a bit over a hundred in cancellation fees last summer and fall when the state parks were closed, and then only opened to NM state residents. They cancelled 12 reservations, and while the camping fees were refunded, the reservation fees were not.

NM reopened state parks to out-of-state visitors on Feb 27 for camping.

Alamogordo is too far to commute back and forth in my opinion, with Las Cruces as an alternative.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

dave from mesa

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well thanks for all the replies. Been trying to tell my wife we don't want to go there. Now she sees why.

thanks again

dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT
2007 Honda CR-V as a toad
Vietnam Vets. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes you may get compensation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.