Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toad on Trailer vs 4 Down
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Trailers & Tow Dollies

> Toad on Trailer vs 4 Down

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
DougE

New Braunfels, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class B (TBD - probably just a simple cargo van conversion) with 1988 GMC S15.
S15 (2700#) is short wheelbase, automatic, 2wd (V8 conversion).
Trailer (1560#) is 16' car hauler, wood deck.
Question: Haul on trailer or tow 4 down?
With the trailer I have to deal with ramps, tie downs and the additional weight, but I can back it.
Towing 4 down I have to pull the rear wheels up on ramps, crawl under, disconnect the driveshaft at the rear (4 nuts) and tie it up. (Nope, don't want to get a drive disconnect).
Overall length difference is probably only about 2' to 3'. Should get better gas mileage doing 4 down. Tow bar hooks up easier than trailer tongue.
(Wish I knew how to set up a poll on this!)

Currently Between RVs

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use the trailer. No rolling around in the dirt, mud, gravel, grease etc. disconnecting drive shaft.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would use the trailer before I crawl under the truck to disconnect the driveshaft. I use to use a car trailer to haul a show car and it became very easy and fast to load and unload.
I don't know what type of camping you plan on doing but have you thought about what to do with the trailer once you are set up at camp?

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DougE are open to a third option? What about getting a dinghy that you can flat tow with all that work? The thought of either having to unload it or rebuild it every time would be a big turn off for me.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prettty sure that S15 is a little more than 2700lbs on the road , but not a lot.
Towing that on a trailer is more than I’d want to pull with a conversion van. (Most are older and not meant for heavy towing).
Having a little van defeats most of the purpose of a toad, but that’s none of our business.
Having a trailer to drag, park, unhook etc also defeats the purpose of a little B.
So everything is a compromise. This one is your decision and the meaningful discussion on this won’t be really meaningful because you need to decide how YOU are going to use the setup as a whole.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

DougE

New Braunfels, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are some quick responses. Thanks.
I ran a Class A for a number of years with a Suzuki Sidekick toad. Nice rig but the Sidekick was pretty snug inside and I had to exercise the transmission every 200 miles to keep it lubed. Most of my life I've had way too many vehicles and I'm trying to keep it simpler these days so don't really want to add another vehicle.
The S15 will have a step bumper so can be used to spot a trailer after it's unloaded. But, yes, dealing with the trailer is another consideration.
Both Lwiddis and corvettekent are using their tow vehicles for general transportation whereas I favor having a second means of transportation.

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely, Doug. That’s why I pull a TT with new or fairly new vehicle. Reliability.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Use the trailer. No rolling around in the dirt, mud, gravel, grease etc. disconnecting drive shaft.

given those options...use the trailer but only if you can safely tow the combined weight of the trailer and vehicle. what is the combined weight of the trailer/vehicle? how much can the Class B rated to tow? what is the GCWR of the Class B?

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk, weight...total and tongue...is always important. Never exceed manufacturer’s specs.

DougE

New Braunfels, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per my signature I currently have a Class B Sprinter. (Sold the motorcycle thus going to a S15 toad). I may sell the Sprinter and just fix up a van for camping. I generally expect cargo vans to be good for 500#/5000# but will ensure whatever my tow vehicle is, is capable. (I've traveled in every class but a 5th wheel for ~60 years.)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Trailers & Tow Dollies

> Toad on Trailer vs 4 Down
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.