cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV trip to Squim WA

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for the best drive to get from central NC to Squim, Washington. Appreciate your advise in advance.
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
10 REPLIES 10

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I90 all the way to the Seattle area is an obvious choice. But from there, you have several options, depending on your taste for urban freeways, streets, and ferries.

Sequim is on a peninsula, so getting there requires crossing a large body of water, or going around.

US101 follows a coastline all the way from Olympia. While level, it's somewhat curvy and slow, but pretty. I84, I5 skirting Portland might be better for this than I90.

WA16 and 3 to 101 crosses 2 major bridges. I think Tacoma Narrows is toll-free north bound. But traffic through Tacoma can be slow (take WA18 from I90). There may also be rush hour traffic in the Bremerton/Silverdale area.

I'd be inclined to take I90/405 to Lynnwood, and then WA104 to the Edmonds ferry. But that involves a ferry cost, which is much more for RVs. And depending on the time of days 405 can be slow.

A north route, WA20 all the way to Port Townsend (with a ferry ride) is most scenic, and avoids all the urban freeway driving, but I think the overall time will be more.

Washington DOT, WSDOT, has good travel information, times, traffic maps and cameras. They also run the ferries. In my experience Google Maps travel times and route suggestions are also good, at least for this area.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Heading up to make contact with I90 in Minnesota would be quickest.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
On such a long trip I assume we'll see a lot no matter which route I take. We want to get to Sequim the most direct route using interstates with the best /safest way.
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Agree with "paulj".
It depends on what you want to see and do.
Have you been to Washington before? If not there is a lot to see and do.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Washington state you'll get different opinions about avoiding or favoring

interstates
mountain passes
cites
ferries

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not use the interstates. In Washington you could take US 12 to US 101 one direction.
Return using WA 20 across north Cascades Highway or US 2 through Leavenworth. It is a Bavarian motif town.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

snooper
Explorer
Explorer
Take any route you want to Washington and you want to connect with interstate "5"... if you are using I-90 from Montana and arrive on the western side of the state and you want to avoid Seattle and Ferry rides, Take exit for hwy 18 (Auburn-Tacoma) and head to Tacoma... you will enter I-5 South bound and travel about 10 miles before taking hwy 16 to Bremerton...then to hwy #3 to Port Angeles/ Squim..

If entering West Wash from the South, find Interstate "5"... head north... If you want a scenic but winding 2 lane road, at Olympia, turn west and head towards the Pacific Ocean... about 10 miles, take the Shelton exit,, then follow the sign to Port Angeles.... or continue on I-5 to Tacoma and take the Hwy 16 exit to Gig Harbor/
Bremerton.

Happy traveling... 2500 plus miles.... I know as my son lives in Fayetteville...

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
How many months do you have planned for the trip?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Long drive to Sequim. Do you want most direct route, most interesting route, or? What do like to see and do?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sequim.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman