cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Streets & Trips Replacement

rklyon
Explorer
Explorer
With Microsoft Streets and Trips I was able to highlight all of the streets and highways that we drove on while full timing. Does anyone know of a mapping program that will allow me to do that?
18 REPLIES 18

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Jayco1c wrote:
Does anyone use I Overland to find camp sites.

Best bet would be to start a new thread for your new topic.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Jayco1c
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use I Overland to find camp sites.

phays
Explorer
Explorer
A tutorial for Basecamp that helped me get started.
Basecamp Tutorial

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Base Camp is a very powerful program with a ton of great features. BUT, it's freaking Bi#@h to learn. Base camp has been our main routing software for several years. Once your home computer and your GPS have the same map version they play well together. Just my opinion....
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, Streets and Trips is way too out of date to use now. Too many new roads and such to rely on it. It was pretty bad 5 years ago, and now it's even worse.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I still use Streets and Trips for basic routing. Nothing else works as well. So much easier and faster than alternatives. Hasn't been updated since 2013 so it certainly isn't perfect when traveling in areas I'm new too.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK let me amend my comments on the Garmin RV890, I finally searched out some advanced training on and found it here:
TechnoRv series on learning the RV890

And I have just been scratching the surface of all the large number of capabilities of the unit. I don't think that this series will help all that much until you have used the unit for awhile then this material will greatly enlighten you. But before springing for $400+ you may want to scan thru these videos to see what you are paying for.
Some of my irritations were not being able to search a distant location for some service, cg etc. Well you can. The layout of the screen is also completely customizable. You can rearrange it, add delete functions, add widgets. Search for propane, dunp stations and so on. It even has some sort of boondocking mode which I haven't looked at.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basecamp certainly isn't as good, IMO anyway, as Street Atlas, but it's very good and works very well. It's easy to transfer routes from Basecamp to the GPS. I certainly wouldn't use the GPS to plan a route.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus: thanks for the great, helpful, response. Now to see if the CFO will authorize such an expenditure.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I also found the Delorme Street Atlas the best mapping/routing software available & will never forgive Garmin for eliminating it. That said, I have to admit that the Garmin 890 provides some of the attributes that I liked about Street Atlas. The large screen shows far more of the surrounding streets, etc than the typical small Garmin display. Of course you still need to use the horrible Basecamp software for trip planning.

While awfully expensive, has anyone seen Maptitude ? It has been described as the best replacement for Streets & Trips or Street Atlas. No way I'm going to spend $700.00 to find out...

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have use just about everything and Streets and Tips were the very best for me along with Google Maps. Cheers and Grins all around

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Belgique wrote:
agesilaus: I'm tempted on the 890 but my experience with Garmin is that it is fine if you take Interstates but comes up with strange routes if you prefer old US highways like US2 or US 301. I know you can tell it to avoid interstates but it is binary and won't put you on one even when it is clearly the only real option. S&T used a sliding like/dislike scale for different classes of roads and was better at sensible routes.

Any experience with this on your 890? Many thanks.

So far no strange routing, but it has the option to tell it that you are driving an RV and to set the length and weight parameters for that RV. It then takes very conservative routes. Which is OK but if you drop the TT and are driving your truck don't forget to set the mode to automobile or you will find it taking you on those conservative routes. Way out of the optimal path for a truck.
SA would run us down very strange routes in towns, zigzagging around the city grid. We would find us driving down decayed asphalt roads past houses that had seen their best times decades ago. With folks looking in surprise at the truck and RV cruising by their houses.
The 890 does not do that it takes you down the optimal route and will use secondary roads. And the CG database now includes some boondocking spots on BLM and FS land. We had no problem with it finding our current spot on a Forest Road outside the South Rim.
They have greatly improved the route finding algorithm and in 4500 miles so far it has not lead us astray once.
We have seen that behavior on older systems, one took us up the Moki Dugway pulling a popup, and on another occasion one took us down a goat path in New Mexico. Using 'shortest route' setting was very problematic.
The 890 does occasionally become a bit confused, telling us we were on a dirt road when we were on the paved AZ Hwy 64. But that was harmless so far.
I'm going to sit down an produce a review of the RV890 soon and I'll post it here. But I'm sure that just like any large software product there are some nasty glitches hidden in it somewhere. You always need to be aware of your actual physical location and never blindly follow the GPS system.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I used Delorme SA on my laptop for many years till Garmin bought the company and immediately ditched SA. I still use the last version, 2015, for mainly the POI's which can be imported into it.

SA had the option to log your trip data, which you can rerun later to see the exact route, speed, etc you took.I have MANY (most) trips logged to review at a later time.

For navigation, I use Co-Pilot on my tablet.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus: I'm tempted on the 890 but my experience with Garmin is that it is fine if you take Interstates but comes up with strange routes if you prefer old US highways like US2 or US 301. I know you can tell it to avoid interstates but it is binary and won't put you on one even when it is clearly the only real option. S&T used a sliding like/dislike scale for different classes of roads and was better at sensible routes.

Any experience with this on your 890? Many thanks.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X