cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I use this bearing?

alexey75
Explorer
Explorer
I am doing my first bearing repack. Here are few pictures of bearing and race.

https://ibb.co/kcT55Sx
https://ibb.co/t8J92fq

There is some discolouration inside the bearing.
Can I continue using it?
Unfortunately during this season we wonโ€™t travel a lot, probably around 1,000 miles.

I hope it will be safe to tow it this year and I will replace these next year.
22 REPLIES 22

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
How to Repack Wheel Bearings
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
I always put some in that cavity. Air wonโ€™t hurt it and will aid in living if need be.

It's yours, you can do what you want, but I wonder if you could explain your logic in putting grease in there?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I always put some in that cavity. Air wonโ€™t hurt it and will aid in living if need be.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

alexey75
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good, thank you guys!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
alexey75 wrote:
There is some space between inner and outer bearings.
Was I supposed to fill this space with the grease?

No, just pack some reserve just inside and outside each bearing. Don't forget to add some grease between the two lips of the seal to reduce wear on it.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
alexey75 wrote:
Thank you all!
Cleaned all the bearings this morning, looks good.

I have another question. There is some space between inner and outer bearings.

When I was taught how to pack bearings, (By Dad, late '50s, when the grease had to hold rollers in place while assembling) grease between the bearings is just wasted grease.
GM Training Center, late '60s, we where taught that space should be MT, so as bearing, and more important brakes, heat the area there will be less pressure on the seal.
Which will have least friction, steel moving past steel with 1/4 inch of air, or that same 1/4 inch full of heavy grease?

alexey75
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all!
Cleaned all the bearings this morning, looks good.

I have another question. There is some space between inner and outer bearings.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
I agree ^^^^^

OP...you did a good job with pics!

Jerry

No matter how good the pic, or for that matter the eye, you can only see a limited number of rollers, and a limited area on each roller. Before I could say "this is good" I must see all sides of all rollers.
But some might be better mechanics than me. I wonder how many only inspect part of the bearings they install on their snot.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Clean them up perfectly and examine them with an eyeloupe.

Not something typically in the driveway toolbox. Just replace the bearings, grease properly and be sure not to over torque the axle nut when you re-install.
They are very handy. Affordable too at Harbor Freight.. 3 or 4.00. for the set.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
Clean them up perfectly and examine them with an eyeloupe.

Not something typically in the driveway toolbox. Just replace the bearings, grease properly and be sure not to over torque the axle nut when you re-install.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I see no problems. I would run them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree ^^^^^

OP...you did a good job with pics!

Jerry

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The darkened areas inside the bearing is called fretting corrosion. It is caused by the small amount of play between the spindle and the inner race and the presence of air which contains oxygen. The play is necessary to allow a slip fit for easy assembly/disassembly, there is no problem. To minimize the fretting, always apply a thin coat of grease to the spindle to help exclude oxygen.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
The roller next to your finger appears to have a problem. Maybe just grease but I can't tell by the photo. If that is just grease, I see nothing wrong. You would do well to clean them better then work completely clean and inspect them again.

I saw this too, right next to his thumb. Hopefully grease. I used compressed air to blow out all of the old grease that will come out, then wash them in a container with mineral spirits. I have a real nice Graymills parts washer but it need a complete refill and that has become too expensive, so I just buy mineral spirits at Wal-Mart in the paint section (cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes) and use that. Once I have managed to swish all the grease out of the bearing (technically a "cone"), I blow it dry (don't spin it) and if it and the race (technically a "cup") are good, then I repack it.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.