Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Problem with AGM Batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Problem with AGM Batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
La Gasser

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2017 Jayco Seismic Wave Toy Hauler with the original 2 Interstate AGM batteries which are now 4 1/2 years old. It seems that the batteries are not holding their charge as long when not plugged into shore power. I've had it off shore power for 1 day with the Battery Cutoff switch not on, meaning batteries are still connected. Volt Meter shows around 11 volts, but when you turn the Battery Cutoff switch on, the reading is 12.5 volt or approx 80%. If you activate the landing gear switch while the Battery Cutoff switch is on, the reading goes from the 12.5 down to around 10.7 volts. Seems to me that the batteries are just holding a surface charge when at rest, but when you put a load on them, they are shot. Does that seem right to y'all? Thanks

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds about right to me. You could try an equalize charge but probably won't do any good in my view.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post the converter model number. Good chance they have been under charged. You really need to get these up to 14.4 volts.

Considering the low voltage it is probably best to separate the batteries for testing.

* This post was edited 04/24/21 11:56pm by time2roll *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you cleaned and tightened the connections?
I agree, if you have a factory converter it's probably not taking very good care of your batteries. I would separate them and test individually. One may be bad and the other okay. The problem with that is you don't want a new battery mixed with a 4 year old battery so you still would want to replace them both.

Bill/Diana

Southeastern Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 4 1/2 years old I would not be worried about meter readings. Time to replace the batteries with new and have peace of mind while camping. JMHO

Bill & Diana

Please click here to visit our Website

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no knowledge of Interstate batteries but my Lifeline AGM batteries would typically last 7-10 years with reasonable care.

You have nothing to lose by trying a conditioning/equalization cycle. That is typically about 15.5 volts for 8 hours. If that doesn't fix the issue they are toast.

La Gasser

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Converter is the factory Progressive Dynamics Model PD4590K 90amp unit. Connections have been maintained clean. When on shore power, meter shows in the 14.4 to 14.6 range initially, then reduces to the 13.2 to 13.4 range when charging so that appears ok. I also had Lifeline AGM batteries that were over 8 years old when I sold the previous trailer, so am disappointed with the life of these Interstate batteries, but it could be Jayco issue more than a battery issue. Will probably replace both with Duracell AGM's from Sam's Club. I've had good luck with their batteries in vehicles and my boat.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the MYTH: AGM's last longer than properly maintained Flooded wet cells
The Truth: AGM's last longer than Flooded wet that are NOT maintained properly.
But the reviews compared to Well maintained are mixed.

I had two. independent 12 volt systems in my Rig for a period
one was AGM. they were the fastest to die
the other was a mix of Flooded wet and older Maintenance Free (Wet)

The AGM's were purchased and installed with the RV was around 11 months. at least one of the maintenance free was older than the RV and all of them outlasted the AGMs

Main (OEM interstate Flooded wet lasted 9 years.

Now I said reviews are mixed
Helped a man with a dead starting battery
His was a Die-Hard (Always died quickly for me) but his was an AGM 12 years old.

7-10 is average.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My AGMs always self-discharged much slower than wets.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you probably know, Jayco did not install the Batteries. The selling dealer did. Jayco does not supply towable batteries. Now, AGM Interstate are good batteries. BUT, are you stating that a NO TIME in 4 1/2 years you never let the batteries go completely dead? Letting a AGM battery go dead, it will never return to its full capacity. Also, a LOT of Dealer's and Service Centers are ignorant of the conditions for installing AGM and now Lithium batteries. You need to make sure your RV charging system is capable of charging AGM's or Lithium correctly. Just get the manual for your Converter and it will state if it is correct for AGM's without a modification. Most Converter's are capable of charging AGM's correctly. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Problem with AGM Batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.